Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - BT GPS Accuracy
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

BT GPS Accuracy

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Beginners GPS Lounge
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Baldlygo
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Feb 17, 2005 8:32 pm    Post subject: BT GPS Accuracy Reply with quote

I have had an iPaq1940 and BT TT3 for several months now. I am quite pleased with the kit for car navigation (except the 10-15 minutes it usually takes to locate when turned on – but that’s another story).

I also have MemoryMap OS2004 and now would like to use the PDA for carrying out a quick survey of an old industrial area – say 10 acres. I have tested the MM tracking and find that it records loads of details every few seconds – even heights. I understand my accuracy is better than + or minus 5 metres. This would make the survey worthwhile but I would like to know if there are any more accurate BT receivers now available that would work to the PDA.

Also can anyone tell me if there are any applications that might be more appropriate for doing this type of surveying.
icsys
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Feb 17, 2005 9:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you set MM to use WGS84 datum you may find the accuracy improves to less than 3 metres.
TomTom GO
Anquet OS mapping
Baldlygo
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Feb 18, 2005 1:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

icsys wrote:
If you set MM to use WGS84 datum you may find the accuracy improves to less than 3 metres.

Thanks for the reply icsys - Next question though is where can I set MM to use WGS84?
icsys
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Feb 18, 2005 8:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

WGS84 is in relation to your position on the mapping you are using. I have set Anquet to WGS84 and found the position on the map to be remarkably accurate. I dont have MM but you should be able to select the datum such as OSGB, WGS84 etc... Anyone who uses MM should be able to tell you where you set the GPS options. It's worth noting too that accuracy depends on ionospheric conditions which can change from day to day.

If you are intending to do proper surveying you should really be using a 'survey grade' receiver which gives a much more accurate position than a consumer GPS but, as one would expect, costs considerably more.

You may find more info at http://www.gps.gov.uk/
TomTom GO
Anquet OS mapping

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Beginners GPS Lounge All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: