Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Best London (UK) Street Mapping Application for PPC OS?
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Best London (UK) Street Mapping Application for PPC OS?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Beginners GPS Lounge
View previous topic :: View next topic  
skagen
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Jan 27, 2005 11:50 am    Post subject: Best London (UK) Street Mapping Application for PPC OS? Reply with quote

Hi, I realize that this may not be a typical question here, but what are the best street maps available for London?

I go around the city a lot on foot/public transport for work and I'd like to get a good mapping applicaiton for Windows Mobile 2003SE PDA/Phone that I have.

I will not necesarily need GPS capability at the moment, but I may want it later (not before the summer or fall of 2005 at the earlist) when I might buy a GPS SDIO card. So I'm just for the moment trying to understand who the best contenders are for London street mappign detail.

I have tried out Microsoft Pocket Streets, which was okay but not on the level of the A-Z London street maps, in terms of detail and especially the ease of reading street names.
( http://www.a-zmaps.co.uk/asp/d_ppc.asp?userid=&lstpostage= )

Because of that experince with Microsoft Pocket Streets, I am assuming that Microsoft AutoRoute would be the same mapping. Is that correct?

And in general. I'm just wondering if A-Z is the only legit contender out there for London streets detail there, before I go ahead and buy it. It doesn't have give me the future option GPS capablity but if you all think its the best option, then I may get it.

Any input is helpful. Thanks!
gripp
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Jan 27, 2005 2:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I use MemoryMap's London A-Z, and also their OS maps, on my Mitac 168 and both sets of maps provide excellent GPS support.

The London A-Z also includes an even more detailed map of central London, again with GPS support.

By GPS support I mean that as you walk/drive around the GPS indicator shows your exact location on the map - often even which side of the street you're on. You can also set waypoints. Afterwards your track can let be uploaded to the PC for viewing on the full screen map.

To get the map onto the PDA you first display it on the desktop/laptop, then select an area for downloading to the PDA. You can also chose to download a street index.

Of course the larger the map selection you download to the PDA, the larger the size of the CF/SD card you will need. A 1Gb SD card costs about £60 these days.

Come back if you need any further advice.
skagen
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Jan 27, 2005 7:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks, that's helpful. Can you tell me specifically which of the versions/programs on that A-Z Web you bought?
gripp
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Jan 27, 2005 11:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I bought the following London A-Z:

http://www.memory-map.co.uk/maps_uk_inthecity.htm

and the OS maps:

http://www.memory-map.co.uk/maps_uk_onland.htm

The A-Z and OS maps integrate seamlessly as you zoom in and out.
skagen
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Jan 28, 2005 2:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I already have a 1GB SD card. I was in the us over xmas and they were going for $60 after rebate, so that was a no-brainer. So that will be helpful with the maps.

With respect to the London A-Z that you bought (in CD-ROM format) - when you make a selection and download that map selection to your PPC/handheld, what functionality do you available have your portable device?

For example Can you still take that map which you put on on your PPC and do searches for street addresses or street names/locations? Or is it just a plain picture?

Also does the CD ROM MAP software come with the PPC viewer included - or do you have to buy that separately?

I'm asking to determine if its better for me to buy the Pocket Viewer and individual PPC maps or jut to get the CD ROM.....
gripp
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Jan 28, 2005 3:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:

With respect to the London A-Z that you bought (in CD-ROM format) - when you make a selection and download that map selection to your PPC/handheld, what functionality do you available have your portable device?

You can zoom in and out, manipulate overlays, stipulate that the map moves as you travel - whilst your actual location is always in the centre of the map. You can set the GPS options too.
Quote:

For example Can you still take that map which you put on on your PPC and do searches for street addresses or street names/locations? Or is it just a plain picture?

You can download placenames and streets on to the PDA. The map you see on the PDA is exactly the same as on the desktop screen.
Quote:

Also does the CD ROM MAP software come with the PPC viewer included - or do you have to buy that separately?

Yes, you install the bundled Pocket Navigator from the desktop on the PDA.

Look on their website to compare the overall functionality of buying just the London A-Z, which is limited, against the full functionality when you buy one of the OS maps too.
skagen
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Jan 28, 2005 4:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks very much!

I think I'll start with the same A-Z CD Rom + PPC viewer pacage which you got and take it from there. I'm spending all my time in London walking streets and ss far as I can see, until the time when I actually get the GPS module, there would be nothing that I can get out of the Ordnance survey mapping software. Maybe in the summer when I go hiking, but for the moment the A-Z package seems to be what I need...

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Beginners GPS Lounge All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: