Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - American Garmin 60cs unit works in Europe??
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

American Garmin 60cs unit works in Europe??

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Beginners GPS Lounge
View previous topic :: View next topic  
jlabro
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Jan 10, 2005 9:57 pm    Post subject: American Garmin 60cs unit works in Europe?? Reply with quote

Hello, i would like to ask whether the Garmin 60cs unit bought from US , works fine in Europe,meaning , can i load a european map or whatever i want or i should "unlock" the unit or something else ? ?

Can anyone help me ??

Thank you very much
Tim Buxton
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Jan 10, 2005 10:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You will need to buy the European version of CitySelect. Or you could get an European R&R if you can find it, but you won't get automatic routing and it's a couple of years old. It doesn't need unlocking, though.
jlabro
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Jan 10, 2005 10:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

so all i have to do is buy the US unit,and with City select, european version,delete the old map and load the european ?

can it be done with maproute ??

What is the differense ??? Confused

Thanx a lot Smile
jlabro
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Jan 10, 2005 11:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

the unit (will buy it from US)will come with the us map in it !

Can you tell me how i will delete the american map and load the european ?

This can be done with CITY SELECT only ?
Skippy
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Mon Jan 10, 2005 11:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jlabro wrote:
so all i have to do is buy the US unit,and with City select, european version,delete the old map and load the european ?

The thing to rememer is that many Garmin GPS units come with a rough "basemap" which is accurate to about 500 meters and shows major roads in either the Americas, Europe or Pacific areas. You cannot change this basemap.

If you buy an American model GPS then you will get the Americas basemap with little or no detail of Europe. You can load the maps from City Select Europe to get the accurate, detailed maps of the area you want, but the entire UK is > 130 Meg so you won't fit it all on your GPS.

You can upload small portions of the maps, usually what you would do would be load the maps of your start and destination (say) London and Edinburgh and use the basemap to navigate in the between areas.

The GPS units which larger memory are not such a problem because you can just load the detailed maps for your entire journey...

Also, once you add up the total cost of buying the GPS 60 and City Select, you may be better off stretching your budget a bit and buying Garmin Quest for £350 (European Spec) which comes bundled with City Select, full European maps unlocked and 243 Meg of memory. (beware of US spec Quests only have 115 Meg of memory)

Decisions... Good luck. Confused
Skippy
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Mon Jan 10, 2005 11:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry, I was looking at the GPS60 (with 24 Meg RAM) not the GPS 60CS (56 Meg RAM and electronic compass/altimeter) you mention. It's still worth considering the Quest though. Smile
jlabro
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Jan 10, 2005 11:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ooook..so i can change the basemap which is good !

It doesn't matter which unit (US or EUROPEAN) i choose , as you said,i can change the base map ! Smile

about the unit.. you put me into thought.. although the memory seems to be enough (with mapsource guide) ,it may cause problem later..

the maps from mapsourceguide and city select are of the same size,aren't they ??

Smile

Thanks again,and sorry,but i am new into this
jlabro
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Jan 11, 2005 12:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

you wrote :

The thing to rememer is that many Garmin GPS units come with a rough "basemap" which is accurate to about 500 meters and shows major roads in either the Americas, Europe or Pacific areas. You cannot change this basemap. If you buy an American model GPS then you will get the Americas basemap with little or no detail of Europe. You can load the maps from City Select Europe to get the accurate, detailed maps of the area you want, but the entire UK is > 130 Meg so you won't fit it all on your GPS.

You mean that if i get the US version and load the european map
i will have both US and european map on it ?? if i get the european map and already the unit has the european map,i do not need to use the 56MB and load the european map ??
jlabro
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Jan 11, 2005 12:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

the memory that the basic map uses,is within the 56 MB of total or whatever map is the basemap (US OR EU) there are still 56 mb of memory to do whatever you want ??
Skippy
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Tue Jan 11, 2005 12:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

jlabro wrote:
ooook..so i can change the basemap which is good !

Nooo! You can't change the basemap but you can load detailed maps from City Select.

Basemap = major roads for Americas OR Europe OR Pacific. The basemap depends on where you buy the GPS - you can't change it.

City Select Europe = Detailed maps of Europe which take up a lot of space so you have to choose which ones to upload.

The problem is that if you drive from (say) London to Rome then the maps for the complete trip won't all fit in the memory of your GPS so you would load the City Select maps for London and Rome only. In this case, the GPS uses the basemap of major roads where it doesn't have the detailed City Select maps available.

If you have the Americas basemap then there will just be a blank space where the City Select maps are not loaded. Whereas if you have the European basemap version (Garmin call it the "Atlantic Basemap"), it will have a rough map of the major roads to get you to Rome where it will switch to the detailed maps again.

jlabro wrote:
the maps from mapsourceguide and city select are of the same size,aren't they ??

Umm, do you mean Metroguide? Metroguide is NOT routable so the GPS will show you a map of the the roads but will not give you turn by turn directions which makes Metroguide a waste of time. You have to have City Select for routing.

Good luck!
jlabro
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Jan 11, 2005 12:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Now i got it Smile

thanx a loooooooooooooot

YOU ARE SUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUPER
Skippy
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Tue Jan 11, 2005 12:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

jlabro wrote:
the memory that the basic map uses,is within the 56 MB of total or whatever map is the basemap (US OR EU) there are still 56 mb of memory to do whatever you want ??

The 56 Meg is available for uploading maps of your choice.

As a rough guide, 56 Meg would allow you to load detailed maps covering an area roughly bounded by Birmingham in the North all the way to the South coast and from Newbridge/Taunton in the West all the way to the East coast.
jlabro
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Jan 11, 2005 12:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

got it !

thanx again !!

u know a lot !!

Greetings from Greece

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Beginners GPS Lounge All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: