Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - new software on medion 150
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

new software on medion 150

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Beginners GPS Lounge
View previous topic :: View next topic  
frodow
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Dec 30, 2004 6:36 pm    Post subject: new software on medion 150 Reply with quote

hi,
i'm newbie and i've just bought medion md150.
reading the forum i've found that this is only a gps not a palmpc.
i'd like to ask if i could install other sotware in this gps instead of the medion software (like tomtom navigator).
can someone tell if this is possible?

thanks bye
crankyman
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Jan 02, 2005 1:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you have the Medion MDPPC 150 (MD95000) then your right, it is not a Palmpc which runs Symbian OS, its a Windows based ppc. And as such is much more than just a GPS, and is easily on a par with the Palms. (That should stir the Palm crowd up Wink )

You can run other software on it, such as Tom Tom, and others in this forum have done so. I suggest you have a browse through some of the posts in the "Navigon" forum which deals quite a lot with queries regarding Medion navigator software (which has been bundled by Aldi supermarkets recently with this PPC). You could also try the Tom Tom forum.

As by your own admission you are a newbie, can I be nosy and ask why you want to run other software already?

Good luck,

Jon.
frodow
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Jan 02, 2005 3:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

thank you a lot for the answer ...you've been the only one.
I've read many forum but i could not find something how to install other software like tomtom and when i try to do so i recived the message "can't find installation file" from the medion at the startup.

So can you show me a thread where someone say how i can install other software on medion 150?

I'd like to prove other software because medion software in some case is old and the streets have been changed here in milan.

Thank you again bye
DavidW
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Jan 03, 2005 5:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Most software for Pocket PCs installs through ActiveSync; you install ActiveSync, either create a partnership or tell ActiveSync to use a Guest Partnership, then run the installer program for the software on your Pocket PC.

Only installers supplied as .cab files are run directly on your Pocket PC.

Does that help any?

David
crankyman
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Jan 03, 2005 8:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I see in the Navigon forum someone is giving you a hand to sort out your installation, I hope that goes OK for you, however before you get too involved maybe you should look at this http://pocketgpsworld.com/modules.php?name=Forums&file=viewtopic&t=14480.
David explains a lot about the mapping data and why things are out of date.
Also here is another discussion along a similar line http://pocketgpsworld.com/modules.php?name=Forums&file=viewtopic&t=5065
If you get TomTom loaded I think you may be dissapointed.

Good luck

Jon.
jones8430
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Jan 08, 2005 12:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i have bought a mdpna 150 from makro
i am also trying to load different software i can put more poi onto it
so far poi warner dosent work but a germen site states that it may be available for the mdpna 150 in a few weeks http://babelfish.altavista.com/babelfish/tr
if you want to update the map i found that the map on the cd supplied have a more updated map
i insatlled that one and had a lot more streets
also you can copy and paste the autorunce and the mnavdce files onto your mem card to update the softwsre
hope this helps
if you find a way of updateing poi (speed cams etc.) please let me know
cheers
mark jones
:D :D :P
Darren
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Jan 08, 2005 1:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Some confusion on model numbers here, the MDPNA150 (landscape format) is a PND Device running WinCE and is not a PocketPC. The MDPPC150 is a Mitac Mio 168 Pocket PC.
mallettron
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Jan 10, 2005 4:56 pm    Post subject: Updates or other programs for Medion MDPNA150 Reply with quote

This Link

http://www.gpspassion.com/forumsen/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=20212

apart from being in french, tell you how to'hack' your medion

basically u install a regedit program (dont worry it can all be reverted back to normal by using the hard reset), from there u can activesync/install other programs, the icons appear on the main screen

The 150 is actually a windows ce-net device, but with the additions of utilities etc, could look the same as a normal pocket pc

Ronnie

ps for those who like me dont speak french it translates as

1. To launch ActiveSync session by connecting Medion via USB - to click on "Exploring" in ActiveSync

2. To copy regedit.exe from Medion in \Windows\start

3. To copy bureau.reg to the root of Medion

4. reset on the side with the stylus (unscrew stylus for pin)

5. You arrive on regedit, to make file->import choose bureau.reg, then double-to click, then to leave regedit

6. After ActiveSync, to remove regedit.exe in \Windows\Start

7. copy MNAVDCE.exe (is in file \medion \) - > to paste shortcut in \Windows\Desktop

8. copy regedit.exe (is in file \medion \) - > to paste shortcut in \Windows\Desktop

9. copy setting.exe (is in file \medion \) - > to paste shortcut in \Windows\Desktop

10. copy mp3player.exe (is in file \windows \) -to paste shortcut in > \Windows\Desktop

11. reset device

Hurrah, you have a MDPNA with the same functions that it had previously (Navi/mp3/settings), but it is now a mobile terminal with complete WinCE4.2 and you will be able install any of the programs like OziCE for the cross-country GPS or BetaPlayer to play of Divx.

Note - to return the configuration of origin without a hardware-reset, import the key standard.reg in with regedit
bobgentry
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Jan 11, 2005 6:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You can import poi to the Medion 150 by setting a parameter in the default.ini file.
found under C:\Program Files\MEDION Navigator 3.1D CE\Installer\Console

change POIImport=0 to POIImport=1
or if the lie is not there add it as here

InstallSoftware=0
;ViewerExists=1
POIImport=1
TutorialExists=0
;UserManuelExists=0
TMC=0
SDK=

This will give you a file import icon on the task bar of the navigator control console

the csv file spec is
Name,Info,lat,lon,Zip Code,City,Address,Adress Number

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Beginners GPS Lounge All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: