Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Red Roads.
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Red Roads.
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
BERTIE
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Dec 17, 2004 3:34 pm    Post subject: Red Roads. Reply with quote

Just been into Nottingham with no route selected and tomtom is showing a number of roads or part lengths of roads coloured red, can anyone help please. Also am thinking of getting a 1GB SD card, which ones are compatible ?
Sniff
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Dec 17, 2004 4:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

one way streets?
BERTIE
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Dec 17, 2004 6:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not one way streets,
wildcard
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Dec 18, 2004 2:46 pm    Post subject: Re: Red Roads. Reply with quote

BERTIE wrote:
Just been into Nottingham with no route selected and tomtom is showing a number of roads or part lengths of roads coloured red, can anyone help please. Also am thinking of getting a 1GB SD card, which ones are compatible ?

Do you mean light coloured roads with a red/pink dash down the middle.

I think these are roads marked as not for vehicular through traffic . In practice these are residential side streets which local councils do not want used as commuter rat runs - and TeleAtlas have obliged by not using them . I use one on my normal route to work ! - at the entrance there is a little sign saying either "residents only", "access only" or such like. When navigating Tom Tom won't select the road even although it quicker ,when I detour down it Tom Tom asks me to turn around until I have gone more than half way - it then selects the road as part of the new route - a heavy dashed red line appears now appears.

Geoff
DavidW
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Dec 18, 2004 3:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's an interesting theory.

I've seen a lot of small roads marked 'not for navigation' in the Navigator 3 UK maps - in Navigator 3 on the Pocket PC they appear with light pink dashes on them. Mainly these are small residential roads - so you could be right - that it's deliberate anti rat-run. I have my doubts, though - I would have thought anti rat-run would be more likely to be implemented by marking roads a category or two lower than they really are to steer the routing engine away from them whilst not affecting local routes.

I treat every one as a map error irrespective of the cause. In some towns, such as Dunstable, Bedfordshire, I find Navigator giving me illogical routes or just plain nonsense if I happen to have gone down one of these roads to visit someone.

I'm more inclined to believe it's a data conversion glitch - maybe TomTom not mapping a road type correctly when the maps were built. Is West Hill in Dunstable so marked on your Go? If not, it could be a difference between the maps, or it could be that the 'red' roads Bertie was talking about are actually something different and not this issue after all.

Anyway, in the Navigator 3 maps, West Hill is marked as "not for navigation" for about the far half of its length. It's a no through road, even unofficially it leads nowhere else. I'm 99% sure it is adopted by the council, so I don't think it's something to do with unadopted roads.

David
wildcard
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Dec 18, 2004 7:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

DavidW wrote:
That's an interesting theory.

Is West Hill in Dunstable so marked on your Go? If not, it could be a difference between the maps, or it could be that the 'red' roads Bertie was talking about are actually something different and not this issue after all.

Anyway, in the Navigator 3 maps, West Hill is marked as "not for navigation" for about the far half of its length. It's a no through road, even unofficially it leads nowhere else. I'm 99% sure it is adopted by the council, so I don't think it's something to do with unadopted roads.

David

Yes , West Hill is marked - the portion between Lowther Road and Mentmore Cresent is marked as a normal side road - white with black edge , the remaining portion - the cul de sac from about # 37 onwards- is white , no border , pink dashes.
I could understand the convention if it applied to no through roads only but Derwent Drive a few yards away ( from #17 to #61 approx ) is similarly marked yet can be driven through ( I assume ) , the portions either end (1 to 15 and beyond 61 are not dashed !).
I think this map coding and/or the average speed loading are deliberately chosen to artificially minimise the use of these roads - I have just keyed in a route from 1 Derwent Drive to 71 - rather than choose a route straight along the Drive it maps a huge detour via Lowther road and Borrowdale Avenue (!)

Geoff
DavidW
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Dec 18, 2004 9:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's not just me, then!

I don't suppose you know Dunstable; I don't live there any more but I often have reason to go there. Lowther Road is the main road through that area; the speed camera on that road is near a school entrance. The other roads off Lowther Road are pretty much all residential - including Derwent Drive, West Hill, Borrowdale Avenue, Furzen Close and Brierley Close. The "not for navigation" bit in the middle of Borrowdale Avenue on the Navigator 3 maps is particularly weird.

Apart from the school by the speed camera and a church, there is a small parade of shops just off Lowther Road to the north, in between Abbey Mews and Oldhill. Apart from that, it's all residential.

As you say, you get some bizarre routes given because of all the "Not for Navigation" marking - I think the one you found is one of the most bizarre yet! There's some more "Not for Navigation" roads elsewhere in the town, including Aldbanks.

Has anyone spotted anything similar anywhere else?

David
BERTIE
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Dec 19, 2004 11:07 am    Post subject: Red Roads. Reply with quote

Just to clarify the red roads I am seeing on TT Go. The red colour is lighter and brighter than the one when you have a route planned and there seems no reason at all for them to be coloured. i.e. London Road and Trent Bridge in Nottingham are coloured red for about a mile then return to normal. This is a 4 lane main thoroughfare into Nottingham. Have considered a reset or wiping the card and starting over, help.
Eldar
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Dec 19, 2004 1:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Have you tried changing the colour scheme? (Preferences->Change map colours)
BERTIE
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Dec 19, 2004 1:09 pm    Post subject: Red Roads. Reply with quote

Yes - all to no avail, think I'll have to start over, is it possible to wipe the card and reload from the CD?
Eldar
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Dec 19, 2004 5:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Could you tell us the map/firmware versions and your colour scheme?
BERTIE
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Dec 19, 2004 5:45 pm    Post subject: Red Roads. Reply with quote

Firmware is 4.42. Colour scheme is Belgica.
Eldar
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Dec 19, 2004 6:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Couldn't see it myself, at least using the "Map" view. Perhaps it is different in the "Navigator" view, but I cannot use it since I'm not physically in Nottingham.
BERTIE
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Dec 19, 2004 11:20 pm    Post subject: Red Roads. Reply with quote

Doesn't show in map view, Happened when travelling with no route selected. Will try tomorrow with routing active.
Eldar
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Dec 22, 2004 9:28 pm    Post subject: Re: Red Roads. Reply with quote

BERTIE wrote:
Doesn't show in map view, Happened when travelling with no route selected. Will try tomorrow with routing active.

Any news? You absolutely sure it's not Brittanica you are using?

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: