Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Traffic - who's going to pay for the sub?
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Traffic - who's going to pay for the sub?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
iancjc
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Aug 06, 2004 10:19 am    Post subject: Traffic - who's going to pay for the sub? Reply with quote

Having had traffic installed then deciding against it and reverting to 3.03 (which I'm now happy with) I guess the free triial is almost over and it decision time.

I have 5 months on my traffic master sub to use but would be interested as to how useful traffic actually is and who is willing to cough up the euro's.

Personally I've realised that despite advance notice of traffic problems (via traffic and TM) I will normally stay on my intended route unless it is a very serious holdup or accident. Avoiding (say) a 10 minute delay on a motor way or majar A road is pointless as I've often spent 30 minutes driving through a town to avoid the delay. Also as most of Britains roads are now all running at capacity at busy times the alternatives are very likely to suffer holdups as well.

So who's going to buy the service and why?

By the way I driver approx 30,000 miles each year in the uk and a further 3,000 - 4,000 in Europe.

Cheers

Ian
SteveM
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Aug 06, 2004 2:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've only been using it for a week or so and generally only require info for my journey to work (M42). As you say a small hold-up isn't worth re-routing for and I know where to go if I do re-route anyway from local knowledge.
I have been notified several times already of congestion and have avoided several jams because of it, so for £50 a year I would pay (assuming that is the cost). Smile
naughtonk
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Aug 06, 2004 2:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've been using the Traffic demo for a while now - I often drive between North-West England and Milton Keynes. It's a much better product than the Trafficmaster unit I had previously in that it gives much more information about incidents and hold-ups.

Quote:
Personally I've realised that despite advance notice of traffic problems (via traffic and TM) I will normally stay on my intended route unless it is a very serious holdup or accident. Avoiding (say) a 10 minute delay on a motor way or majar A road is pointless as I've often spent 30 minutes driving through a town to avoid the delay

You are correct. However TomTom Traffic knows how long each hold up will delay you and therefore factors that into the route calculation. It will only redirect you around a problem if either you've explicitly told it to or if it would save you time. Most of the time it seems to follow your experience and lets you sit in the jam because it's still quicker.

HTH

Kevin.
mark1968
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Aug 06, 2004 3:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have decided not to subscrive as I am not moving over to CoPilots product.

Will probably subscribe to thier service when it is available.
gokhart
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Aug 06, 2004 4:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mark1968 wrote:
I have decided not to subscrive as I am not moving over to CoPilots product.

Will probably subscribe to thier service when it is available.

typo ??
mark1968
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Aug 06, 2004 6:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oops, yes that was a typo.

I am moving over to Copilot 5 when it is released.
clivers
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Aug 07, 2004 3:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i shall not be after being in suffolk last week. loads of traffic jams and trafficmaster polls but no traffic onfo on tt.
guess i'll buy a newer traffic master unit
dunno
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Aug 08, 2004 12:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

still undecided about ttt sometimes it right and others it's way off ,just yesterday it said 1 minute jam on the a23 into Brighton ,i must have been stuck there for a good 20 minutes
nr1qs
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Dec 20, 2004 12:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've just bought a 1 year subcription at the reduced price of e29.00. I dont think its worth e49.00 but I figured £20 was worthwhile. It may not be perfect but its better than nothing. If I get stuck in a jam TTT didnt warn me about I figure that without TTT I would still have been in that jam but if TTT takes me around traffic then thats great.

Sure its annoying paying for a service that doesnt work perfectly but thats why I wouldnt pay e49. Hopefully during my years subscription it will get better, otherwise I wont be renewing next year at the full price...
DevilsAdvocate
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Dec 23, 2004 4:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Same here went for the reduced option, recently provided more up-to-dat.e info than the radio.

An extra source of info for me and at £20 worth ago for a year
Memory Map
Fortuna Clip-ON
Lexar 256MB CF Card
Arkon Mount
DavidW
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Dec 23, 2004 4:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's been reported in another thread that TomTom have said that Traffic in the UK now uses the Highways Agency's data (see here - and I presume the comparable Scottish and Welsh systems) as well as the iTIS data. That may explain why people are reporting better results on major roads recently.

David
SimonCatlin
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Dec 23, 2004 11:09 pm    Post subject: It has got better.. Reply with quote

It has got better, but those of us who continued after the test and paid €49 are a little pi$$ed off to be honest.

To make matters worse IMHO, the service has degraded now the lower fee paying people have joined. I know get more of the "Cannot contact TomTom" message than ever before (and yes my GPRS connection is still working). Is the server up to that many connections?

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: