Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Good maps of Europe
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Good maps of Europe

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Beginners GPS Lounge
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Googlebot
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Nov 16, 2004 2:13 pm    Post subject: Good maps of Europe Reply with quote

I am going to be updating my good old Garmin eMap shortly and one of the most usefull things with it is the street level maps of most countries in Europe.

I am most likely going to be using a iPaq or Palm to run it on (unless you know better!) and was wondering which of the software/map people do the best/most detialed coverage of Eurpoe (especaily France and Germany)?

I really like the way how on the Garmin eMap you can choose which area's you want the full detail maps in (i.e. France is broken down into about 60 sections) and you keep everything at that fine detial when you cross international borders. Is this done with most of the current software? Just ealier in the year, when following someone running TomTom cards needed to be chaged to keep the street level when crossing from France to Germany (and thus missing the turn just over the border Evil or Very Mad )

All comments welcome Smile
lbendlin
Pocket GPS Staff
Pocket GPS Staff

PostPosted: Wed Nov 17, 2004 9:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

cross border routing is still a big problem for most providers, mostly due to licensing issues. The only real workaround so far is to cut a detailed map of the whole region (for example of France plus Germany) or at least as big as the license limitations permit.

Report Map Errors here:
TomTom/TeleAtlas NAVTEQ
Skippy
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Thu Nov 18, 2004 9:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

lbendlin wrote:
cross border routing is still a big problem for most providers, mostly due to licensing issues. The only real workaround so far is to cut a detailed map of the whole region (for example of France plus Germany) or at least as big as the license limitations permit.

Huh? TomTom may have this problem but Garmin and CoPilot maps don't.

Indeed, CoPilot has the best handling of map areas I have seen - you can specify an area in a (say) 50 mile radius from your start and end points and a corridor of (say) 10 miles on either side of your route.

Alternatively you can select the exact areas you want to upload without having to change maps when you cross the border. It doesn't have pre-set chunks like Garmin's Mapsource does.

That said, I wouldn't recommend CoPilot Smartphone - it crashes all the time and it will only route you using main roads, the "Shortest" route option doesn't work properly. I haven't used CoPilot on the iPaq, maybe it works better. Confused

Also, check out http://www.mapopolis.com/ there is a free demo.

As for mapping quality, there are two map suppliers - Navteq (used by CoPilot, Garmin, Mapopolis) which seem to be considered to have the better coverage/accuracy and Teleatlas (TomTom).

They all offer fairly good coverage of major roads in Western Europe, although it isn't always 100% complete.

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Beginners GPS Lounge All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: