Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Navigation software for Windows XP
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Navigation software for Windows XP

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Beginners GPS Lounge
View previous topic :: View next topic  
SQueeZe
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Nov 13, 2004 11:07 am    Post subject: Navigation software for Windows XP Reply with quote

Hi I have just purchased a compact flash GPS device. I do not yet have a PDA so I was hoping to use it with my laptop.

I want to use it as a navigation device in the car so it tells me to take the next left etc etc, however all the navigation software i have looked at are for Palm on Pocket PC. Is there any navigation software for Windows?
Dave
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Nov 13, 2004 11:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Are you based in Europe or America ?

Check out our laptop reviews. CoPilot Laptop 7 (soon to be 8 ) is available for both Europe and North America. InfoMap Navigator is available for Europe and Route 66 is available for both Europe and North America.

However, using a CF card in a laptop won't get you a good view of the sky if your laptop is somewhere other than the dashboard, you may need to purchase an external antenna to plug in (MCX or MMCX) depending on the card you have purchased.
SQueeZe
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Nov 13, 2004 12:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

thanks for the prompt reply, I am in europe.

i already have an external antenna so that wont be a problem.

i have a copy of route 66 2005 that i borrowed from a friend (I will be buying the software that I eventually decide on), but it doesnt seem to do navigation, only route planning.....
Dave
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Nov 13, 2004 2:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

For proper turn-by-turn then you really need CoPilot Laptop 7 or InfoMap Navigator 4.
woosydiver
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Nov 14, 2004 10:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

PrymeNav s/w works on a PC as well as a PDA. This s/w also comes with the complete maps of Europe.

http://www.prymenav.com/home.asp

Cheers
UKHABU
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Nov 15, 2004 6:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

AutoRoute on a laptop will accept and display a GPS current position but it doesn't give turn by turn instructions though.

Beware laptops and GPS in cars!! They are VERY distracting when you (can't help yourself) and look down at the screen!
Navman Pin(Mitac Mio 168)
Navman SmartST Pro V2 & V3
Mitac Mio 558
woosydiver
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Nov 15, 2004 8:28 pm    Post subject: AutoRoute Reply with quote

Yeh, I had the "advanced" version of AutoRoute - my wife shouted the directions whilst she had the laptop on her....................well, lap actually. It worked OK until she lost her bearings & shouted turn left (so I did) when she should have shouted right.

Being serious though, AutoRoute does not update the GPS position very often & I found that on the motorway you travel a long way before the GPS position updates (I think I may have read that the most recent release has improved this update time).

Also, do bear in mind that a laptop that is not securly mounted is a lethal projectile in the event of a crash

Cheers

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Beginners GPS Lounge All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: