Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Navman iCN650 or Garmin StreetPilot 2620 (newbie)
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Navman iCN650 or Garmin StreetPilot 2620 (newbie)

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Beginners GPS Lounge
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Nortonski
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Oct 27, 2004 9:18 pm    Post subject: Navman iCN650 or Garmin StreetPilot 2620 (newbie) Reply with quote

SO then...

I've been taking a peek at these two products & just dont want to make a costly mistake, so begs the question...

Which in your view is the best solution...

Any help/guidance is much appreciated...

Thanks in advance
lbendlin
Pocket GPS Staff
Pocket GPS Staff

PostPosted: Wed Oct 27, 2004 10:32 pm    Post subject: Re: Navman iCN650 or Garmin StreetPilot 2620 (newbie) Reply with quote

Nortonski wrote:

Which in your view is the best solution...

For what? Wht are your plans with the GPS - just leisure or does your business depend on it? Just your town or cross Europe?.

If we know a bit more about how you want to use it we can give better advice.

Report Map Errors here:
TomTom/TeleAtlas NAVTEQ
Nortonski
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Oct 28, 2004 11:27 am    Post subject: A mixture of both... Reply with quote

In all honesty it's likely to be used for business trips into London etc about once or twice a month as the majority of my customers are overseas. However, we also travel through the Eurotunnel to Holland about once a year on holiday so it would be useful for this trip from Calais through France, Belguim to Holland & any trips once there.

Also we holiday a couple of times in the UK for short breaks & it would be useful on this type of vacation.

I probably dont need either of the two units specifically, however, I have been told that the Quest is pretty useless...but I just have no idea...

Thanks in advance
Dave
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Oct 28, 2004 1:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Street Pilot 26xx with City Select 6 is pretty good in it's routing algorithms, it has some benefits over the iCN range, specifically touch screen and remote control. However the iCN range also has some much greater features like more colourful maps and 3D style maps. The iCN650 will also have POI updates that you can upload.

It all boils down to what your requirements are. Personally I like both. NAVTEQ maps (Garmin) are more accurate for the UK and routing algorithms more precise compared with Navman (TeleAtlas).
Nortonski
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Nov 03, 2004 6:02 pm    Post subject: well here goes... Reply with quote

well...as I was informed that the iCN 650 used the same routing & mapping as the 510 I thought I'd give it a go on a trial run to a meeting in London...

Now it seems that the unit functions reasonably well, however, after wandering off track several of the roads it prompts you to use are in fact dead-ends... & not recent ones either! Also I found that the 5 digit postcode search didnt lead me to Stamford Bridge, but in-fact somewhere around the corner...

It was MUCH simpler to eventually locate the POI & navigate to that, which again wasnt exactly what I was looking for but the next best... I wanted the Chelsea Village Hotel but had to settle for Stamford Bridge (Chelsea's ground). Perhaps it was my user error, who knows... Also I found that the measurements were often way out by at least a 100 ft which can be the difference between one road & the next...I soon learned that I needed to take notice more of the next action & road name as confirmation...

Now if I only knew a friendly company that could loan me a 2620 to trial :D I'll keep you informed of my progress...

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Beginners GPS Lounge All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: