Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - AUDI A3 mounts fro IPAQ etc..- which ones?
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

AUDI A3 mounts fro IPAQ etc..- which ones?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Other Hardware and Software
View previous topic :: View next topic  
SimonCatlin
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Oct 03, 2004 10:20 pm    Post subject: AUDI A3 mounts fro IPAQ etc..- which ones? Reply with quote

Help..

Getting a new Audi A3.. Currently have a vent mount fro an IPAQ 5550, with Pretec CF and external aerial AND extrnal speaker. (Very proud of this one, bought a speaker, cut a whole in the side of the vent mount and fitted it in..)

Anway.

What is the best mount for the New A3, remembering I still have to fit in the H/F car kit (which will not be Bluetooth - as it is a company phone)?
Davidb67
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Oct 04, 2004 9:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Simon,
I've just had my company car Passat replaced with a new A3, and was wondering how I'd mount my 3970 in the new motor.
Previously in the Passat, I used a "universal" jobbie - windscreen suction mount (and a good one at that!) at one end, magnetic platform at the other, and a bendy thing between. Bought it from www.globalpositioningsystems.co.uk for about £14. and it has worked a treat for about a year or more. I attached the self-adhesive metal plate onto the back of my stad ipaq cover-pack. Neither the suction mount, nor the iPaq have fallen off in all the time i've used it.
After much consideration about the new A3, vent mounts, cup-holder mounts, or something to attach to the "knee-rest" thingy beside the console, I have bought a new "universal magnetic mount" as previous.
It's positioned to the right of the s/wheel, and the base of the iPaq "rests" on the dash and the edge of the air-vent (soft-part): with the angle i've set it at, it means i can get the iPaq charge-adapter plug thing in no problem. And in fact, the mount is pretty-much well out of your field of vision.
For charging, I've simply got an Expansys retractable charger for the iPaq 3600 (has the jack-plug end, NOT the iPaq charger adapter): thus I can use the same charger for both the iPaq AND my Emtac b/t GPS. bought a "Y" cable to charge both at the same time, if i need to.

I'll post a pic up tomorrow.
SimonCatlin
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Oct 04, 2004 11:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the info.. Just spent the last 30 minutes going through the web site and cannot find the universal mag mount. I'l look forward to seeing the picture. The car does not arrive until next month, so plenty of time!
Dave
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Oct 04, 2004 1:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Try http://www.gpsw.co.uk/details/prod1313.html or http://www.pdamods.com/products.asp?cat=23 (last item)
SimonCatlin
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Oct 04, 2004 11:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dave wrote:
Try http://www.gpsw.co.uk/details/prod1313.html or http://www.pdamods.com/products.asp?cat=23 (last item)

Dave, Thanks for those.. I am trying to avoid glass mount for two reasons.
1. It is obvious to all in sundry that you have something worth nicking.
2. I have had one of these before (in an MX5) and the neck broke, (fixed with some super glue) and then in the Audi A3 I currently have, the window rake is too obtuse and far away to work.

Does the mag mount do any damage to the PDA? Does it not affect battery life or Screen? I was always taught at school that neither of these should go anywhere near a magnet...
Dave
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Oct 05, 2004 6:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The magnet will do damage to movable storage devices, e.g. hard disks / magnetic media, but shouldn't have any ill cause effect on a PDA.

Other alternative is to try a vent mount. The £5.99 one is good and I use these in-car a lot.

http://www.pdamods.com/products.asp?cat=23
Davidb67
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Oct 15, 2004 10:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Simon, just to confirm, mag-mounts have been fine with my PDA's memory & SD cards - nothing lost, corrupted or damaged in over 18months.
i know it's all solid-state and thus SHOULDN'T be affected, but then again.....

incidentally, although I broke the neck on my original suction/magnet mount when trying to reshape it for the A3 (and replaced it with a new one of the same), I was fettling one night on a long drive home from Stansted, and noticed that with the iPaq on it's back on the instrument binnacle, you get a decent reflection onto the windscreen - Head-Up Display !!! perhaps not, what with the image needing to be reversed, and a potential distraction to other drivers, and a system that is only good at night.... OK OK, it was late... I'll get my coat!!
SimonCatlin
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Oct 21, 2004 12:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Davidb67 wrote:
I'll get my coat!!

Why? You Pulled? I thought Newcastle girls never carried coats?

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Other Hardware and Software All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: