Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - GPS advice
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

GPS advice

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Beginners GPS Lounge
View previous topic :: View next topic  
newbuyer17
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Oct 03, 2004 10:04 am    Post subject: GPS advice Reply with quote

Hi,
I'm looking to buy a GPS navigation system using a Pocket PC device. It is quite a large investment for me so I would appreciate your advice on a few questions I have and your experiences.
I'm looking to buy a IPAQ 1940 bluetooth system for use with TomTom navigator bluetooth and the pocketGPS speed camera database. My questions are:
1. How loud is this device? Can you still hear the warnings and directions when travelling at motorway speeds with the radio on? It seems pretty quiet in the shop. Are there any other options like wiring it in to interupt the car stereo when it is giving a warning, or even playing the warning through the car stereo? Or maybe using headphones, but I'd rather not have to do that.

2. How up to date and accurate is the speed camera database? This would be one of the mail reasons I would be buying it? What are your expereiences like or could you give me a X in 10 figure for how many cameras it misses?

3. How much warning does it give of an upcoming camera, or is that customisable?

4. I have a Peugeot 307 with the heat resistant windscreen. I have already seen in previous posts that this affects the GPS reciever. Someone mentioned putting the reciever in the rear instead? Has anyone got this to work and communicate using bluetooth to the IPAQ in the front? Any problems?

5. If anyone has a 307 where is the best place to mount the IPAQ so it doesn't interfere with the drivers vision? Is the side of the dashboard OK?

6. What exactly do I need to wire in? I guess the bluetooth reciever will just plug into my rear cigarrette lighter socket and that will be it. I guess the cradle for the IPAQ in the front will need power though - have you wired it in properly or just plugged into front cigarrete lighter socket? Is it possible to wire the sound to the Peugeot stereo? Any Peugeot 307 specific answers would be even more appreciated.

7. Is the IPAQ obtrusive for driving at night with the backlight on?

Thansk in advance for any responses. Sorry to ask so many questions but as you can imaging the staff at Dixons/PC world are next to useless - couldn't even tell me what the difference was between the bluetooth and non-bluetooth tomtom kits
Dave
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Oct 03, 2004 5:14 pm    Post subject: Re: GPS advice Reply with quote

newbuyer17 wrote:
Hi,
I'm looking to buy a GPS navigation system using a Pocket PC device. It is quite a large investment for me so I would appreciate your advice on a few questions I have and your experiences.
I'm looking to buy a IPAQ 1940 bluetooth system for use with TomTom navigator bluetooth and the pocketGPS speed camera database. My questions are:

Personally I'd pay the extra for the 2210, you won't regret it.

newbuyer17 wrote:
1. How loud is this device? Can you still hear the warnings and directions when travelling at motorway speeds with the radio on? It seems pretty quiet in the shop. Are there any other options like wiring it in to interupt the car stereo when it is giving a warning, or even playing the warning through the car stereo? Or maybe using headphones, but I'd rather not have to do that.

Fairly loud, but it depends on your car and how bad the noise is at high speeds and how loud you like the radio. You may want a powered speaker, or a car cassette adapter to pipe the sound to the stereo (but you won't be able to listen to music then unless you put MP3's on the PPC). Using headphones will be dangerous and I suspect most policemen would stop you if they saw you wearing headphones whilst driving.

newbuyer17 wrote:
2. How up to date and accurate is the speed camera database? This would be one of the mail reasons I would be buying it? What are your expereiences like or could you give me a X in 10 figure for how many cameras it misses?

It's just been updated. There's around 5000 cameras in the UK, we cover more than half of them. It's a free database and relies upon people like yourself submitting new cameras.

newbuyer17 wrote:
3. How much warning does it give of an upcoming camera, or is that customisable?

Depends on the software you use. CoPilot will give you down to 0.2 miles notification and up to more than a mile.

newbuyer17 wrote:
4. I have a Peugeot 307 with the heat resistant windscreen. I have already seen in previous posts that this affects the GPS reciever. Someone mentioned putting the reciever in the rear instead? Has anyone got this to work and communicate using bluetooth to the IPAQ in the front? Any problems?

If you have an athermic windscreen you will either need a re-rad antenna, or if you have an area of the windscreen that's black or not coated, then you could put a GPS Receiver there and it will probably be able to receive signals. Some cars have a black area behind the rear view mirror.

newbuyer17 wrote:
6. What exactly do I need to wire in? I guess the bluetooth reciever will just plug into my rear cigarrette lighter socket and that will be it. I guess the cradle for the IPAQ in the front will need power though - have you wired it in properly or just plugged into front cigarrete lighter socket? Is it possible to wire the sound to the Peugeot stereo? Any Peugeot 307 specific answers would be even more appreciated.

Bluetooth is operated by battery so won't need wiring in, it will just be the PDA charger/power cable. If you go for a GPS Cabled Mouse then this will double as a power chord for the PDA.

newbuyer17 wrote:
7. Is the IPAQ obtrusive for driving at night with the backlight on?

It's bright, but most software have a night screen. Still you may find it a little bright at night, but you can change the brightness intensity.

newbuyer17 wrote:
Thansk in advance for any responses. Sorry to ask so many questions but as you can imaging the staff at Dixons/PC world are next to useless - couldn't even tell me what the difference was between the bluetooth and non-bluetooth tomtom kits

No problem, Dixon's / PC World aren't usually the best of places to go for advice.
HellFire
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Oct 03, 2004 5:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would get a power mount as that makes the sound very loud and everything can be powered off it, I’ve got an Arkon mount that I’m very please with

You don’t have to plug your BT receiver in as you can charge it and should last 8 hours or longer
icsys
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Oct 03, 2004 6:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dave wrote:
newbuyer17 wrote:

Depends on the software you use. CoPilot will give you down to 0.2 miles notification and up to more than a mile.

As a point of interest, what kind and how much warning does TomTom give?

Bluetooth is a good choice. You can position it anywhere inside the car for the best reception, rear parcel shelf for instance, thus eliminating the need for an additional re-rad antenna. I had to do this in a Peugeot 307 - worked great in the back.

Plus, although you haven't mentioned it, Bluetooth will allow you the freedom to use your kit away from the car.
TomTom GO
Anquet OS mapping

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Beginners GPS Lounge All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: