Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Ipaq 3630 - Queries & Help !!!
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Ipaq 3630 - Queries & Help !!!

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Beginners GPS Lounge
View previous topic :: View next topic  
AdebenChris
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Sep 08, 2004 10:00 pm    Post subject: Ipaq 3630 - Queries & Help !!! Reply with quote

Hi,

Much the same as everyone else on this forum I'm just considering my first GPS purchases and would welcome some impartial advice !!

This forum has already been invaluable ( thanks to everyone that contributes and the moderators Smile ) but I still have some queries about what is the best setup.

I currently have an ipaq 3630 and am keen to use this as the centre of my system. As I am a little deaf I would also like use a powered mount with speakers. Do I :

1. Buy either a Seidio G2500, Arkon or Haicom powered mount ?

2. Get an expansion jacket and mouse style gps receiver or a GPS receiver with inbuilt CF card reader?

3. Whether using a expansion jacket or GPS & CF Reader - which size CF card should I get?

4. I'm looking at Tom Tom as the software - most reviews seem to be favourable- is this the best option? I presume I load the software on the the PDA and maps on to the CF card ( I'm only interested in travelling on the UK

My apologies for all the questions but I'd rather know now than buy a lemon !!

Any help gratefully received.
Darren
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Sep 09, 2004 7:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Firstly I ought to start by saying that, good as the 3630 was, it is getting a little long in the tooth now and some newer applications will not run on it (it has only 32Mb Ram for applications).

Having said that, there are options worth considering, TomTom Navigator 3 will run so long as you have little else installed. In asnswer to your questions:

1. I'd go with the Seidio mount or Arkon as a second choice.
2. Get a GPS Mouse (this needs 12v power bit in-car it's not an issue and a CF Jacket for memory card storage.
3. 256MB CF, maps consume a little over 100Mb up to a max of 150Mb with some packages, you need the extra space for things like the UKPostCode Plug-In etc so 256Mb gives you room to grow a little.
4. I covered this above, I suggest TTN3, yes the application goes into internal memory and the maps go onto the CF card.

I hope this helps,
Pc-Mobile
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Sep 09, 2004 9:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would echo with Darren but emphasis that you would be better off with a new PPC.

If you just need basic software that can just load into the main memory (Tom Tom 1 and small region map will fit), that is OK. Other than that you need to get at least a CF jacket, which cost money and it is still too slow to run Voice navigation software.

If you have to buy a jacket (I do not know how much they cost, if you can find any. They used to be expensive but I suppose you can get one for next to nothing now) you might as well spend the money on a 2nd hand 1-2 year old PPC such as 38/39xx series, which could not cost much, and will give you more options.
AdebenChris
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Sep 09, 2004 9:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the advice from both of you - really helpful. Your responses have generated a couple of extra questions.

If I go for the GPS mouse - any recommendations on make/model ? I've seen the Tom Tom and Haicom which both seem to get good reviews or some cheaper options on ebay?

Sorry for my ignorance but If I upgrade my PDA what are the advantages ?? Won't my 3630 run voice navigation?

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Beginners GPS Lounge All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: