Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Lack of GPS signals
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Lack of GPS signals

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Other Hardware and Software
View previous topic :: View next topic  
wildwildcamper
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Sep 10, 2004 12:28 pm    Post subject: Lack of GPS signals Reply with quote

'm running on win98 1st edition, Dell latitude. The GPS mouse/receiver is a USB type, model BU-303 USB 1.1

I have encountered a loss of signal quite a bit.

Whilst travelling around London yesterday I had terrible problems. Sometimes the GPS mouse would be flashing, then quite often the mouse wouldn't be flashing. All very frustrating. In the end due to lack of time, I had to dump the vehicle and get a taxi!. The mouse was on the outside of the vehicle, stuck on the door pillar so I could see the ‘flashing’ led.

Quite often I start up the laptop, get the GPS mouse flashing, then start up the navigation software, but it says no signal. So de-activate the GPS mouse option in the navigator software, Then start up the small utility programme that comes with the GPS mouse to check a signal is coming through, then close the utility and re-activate the GPS mouse in the navigator software which then seems to run okay. Though when testing via the utility I do sometimes have to unplug and replug the GPS mouse to get a signal.

Now….
I think I may have two problems, the first being the GPS mouse, the second being the navigation software.

Regarding the mouse, some times I encounter the problem by tall buildings (10 floors or so), but quite often in wide open areas with no cloud cover, bright sunny day. Do I have a weak mouse receiver? Do I add something like a Re-Radiating Antenna (I assume one end goes on the roof, the other by the mouse?), or do I seek a better receiver, if so which one? (I’m fast running out of budget, due to upgrades and the previous GPS mouse failing on me).

Regarding the software I’ve posted questions on this elsewhere, so no need to raise that here.

Any help or comments will be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Steve
wildwildcamper
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Sep 10, 2004 1:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just been reading some of the other problems people have been having with other receivers, so would like to add...

Lack of signal seemed to be more comon when stationary.

Some one was talking of temperature. When I had most problems, the car had been in a cool underground car park so everything was cool.

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Other Hardware and Software All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: