Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Pretec BTGPS mini
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Pretec BTGPS mini

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> GPS Receivers
View previous topic :: View next topic  
regrak
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Aug 23, 2004 3:09 pm    Post subject: Pretec BTGPS mini Reply with quote

Has anyone tried the new Pretec BTGPS mini yet? There is very little information out there, but the spec seems to be:

- Very small (70 x 40 x 23)
- Sirf Xtrac chipset (the latest chipset for poor reception areas)
- 8 hours continuous use
- comes with a car charger

Any feedback would be great.

Thanks.
Dave
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Aug 23, 2004 9:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, its in review.
regrak
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Aug 31, 2004 10:05 am    Post subject: First impressions Reply with quote

Thanks for the heads up on the review, I look forwards to reading it. Being the impatient person I am, I went ahead anyway and purchased this reciever from Expansys. I've been running it for a few days and thought I would post some views.

My main impression is that this is an excellent device. I have had no problems with it, accuracy seems to be excellent and the TTFF is much faster than my old mouse. I have not timed it, but if you turn the box on when you get in the car it has a fix by the time you have TomTom Naviagtor up and running. I've done some running around with it and (so far) it has never lost fix, even under heavy foliage.

The device itself is tiny (you can close your hand around it) and looks great in black with sliver 'trim'. It comes with a car and house charger and if you are lucky (as I am) and have a charging point in the boot or glove box it can always be ready to go.

By the way, although it does not explicityly say so, the car charger provided generates a 5v output suitable to charge an Ipaq 4150 (with the adaptor you get with the PPC). The current is 0.5A rather than 2A, but it will at least trickle charge your PDA. So if (like me) you prefer to run totally wirelessly (i.e. run the receiver and PDA on battery so there are no data or charge cables running in the main car cabin) you can minimise the number of chargers you need for those times when things need charging.

Generally, I'd highly recommend this receiver. Its size, weight, connectivity, looks and Sirf XTrac chipset mean this is the best option out there for me.

Enjoy.
Dave
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Aug 31, 2004 8:44 pm    Post subject: Re: First impressions Reply with quote

regrak wrote:
My main impression is that this is an excellent device. I have had no problems with it, accuracy seems to be excellent and the TTFF is much faster than my old mouse.

Just don't leave it on charge for a few hours. Our review copy has just died when left on charge for 3-4 hours (battery was near flat). It's either a faulty sample we have received, or it doesn't check when it's fully charged and it blows the power circuit.
regrak
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Sep 15, 2004 2:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry to hear your one blew up! I've been using this unit for about 3 weeks now. On a recent trip to Scotland, it was excellent. Charged in the car overnight and it just seems to stop charging when its full (well the charging light goes off anyway) and so far it still works 100%. Sounds like you have a faulty unit.
Taxman
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Sep 24, 2004 12:22 pm    Post subject: Pretec BT GPSMini Reply with quote

Question Could anyone confirm if this unit is the same as the Royaltek BT GPS Mini?
Dave
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Sep 24, 2004 12:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It is the same
Taxman
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Feb 15, 2005 1:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I hope the Royaltek mains charger is better than Pretecs. Mine blew a fuse last November and looks like Pretec haven't shipped out any replacements yet. Sad

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> GPS Receivers All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: