Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - 60csx sends me to the wrong waypoint!
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

60csx sends me to the wrong waypoint!

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Garmin Handheld GPS Receivers
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Maymo
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Sep 08, 2007 3:27 pm    Post subject: 60csx sends me to the wrong waypoint! Reply with quote

I have a 60csx with TOPO GB v2 maps.
I can set a route in MM, upload it to the GPS unit, travel to the start of the route, set it to follow the route and it will try and direct me to a waypoint half way round my planned route.
E.g. my route consists of 30 waypoints WP 0001 - WP 0030, I go to the approx location of WP 0001, turn on the GPS, get a fix and I am directed to WP 0012.
I have had to resort to selecting individual waypoints, which is a pain, rather than following a route i.e. from one waypoint to the next. Even when I select WP 0001 and arrive then select the route the unit will still direct me to WP 0012.
Is there an option somewhere to select which WP to start a route from?
Regards
Maymo
philpugh
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Tue Sep 11, 2007 2:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Check your route from the GPS. It should list the Waypoints in the order of the route you wish to follow. This may or may not be alpha/numeric order depending on how you created the waypoints.

If they are in the order you intended in the GPS but not being operated in order then there is possibly a problem with the GPS and it should be sent back to GARMIN for a service.

If the order is incorrect in the GPS then the planning and/or transfer from MM is probably in error.

Check the original route carefully on MM - it's quite easy to add an extra waypoint without knowing sometimes.

I try to change the default waypoint names at creation time to something 'unique' (difficult with only 6 chars) so that I know if I have accidentally picked up an stray waypoint. I also tend to clear the entire waypoint list and route list in the GPS prior to loading new routes/waypoints for each outing. I have backups of everything so they can be recovered for walks in favourite areas etc.
Maymo
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Sep 12, 2007 7:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for the reply Phil.
I have had a play with the route page today and I think you have pointed me in the right direction (no pun intended). I feel sure that my confusion is due to the labelling of waypoints by the 60csx.
My route on MM consisted of 235 waypoints, WP0001 - WP0235. When this was uploaded to the GPS it was split into 3 routes the first WP0001 1 - WP0099 1 and the last waypoint which has been renamed WP11 2. The second route has waypoints WP11 2 - WP110 2. The third route has waypoints WP110 2 - WP110 2 - WP135 2 and then WP136 1 - WP145 1 and then WP146.
I don't understand the way the GPS has renumbered the waypoints but I think I may have been following the wrong part of my route.
Thanks again for your help
Maymo
philpugh
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Thu Sep 13, 2007 4:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The 60Csx allows up to 250 waypoints in each route - so that can't really explain it - I forget what happens if you exceed number of waypoints in a route - I think it just throws the excess away.

Check your MemoryMap settings - I seem to recall that there is something in there that allows it to split routes.

On Anquet (I have both and tend to confuse the two!) the s/w knows about the internals of your GPS - so it can warmn you about things like too many waypoits/route or routes for GPS.

Away from home system at present - so can't really assist more than this.
briwy
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Fri Sep 14, 2007 4:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Maymo, I have had a similar thing happen occasionally.

I think what I did wrong was to choose the route I wanted on the GPS unit but DIDNT tell it to navigate.
I simply asked it to show the map with the route on.

Now I make sure I tell it to Navigate and I have had no more problems.

Hope you get it sorted. Nothing worse than a GPS you cant trust.

Brian
Maymo
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Sep 14, 2007 5:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think I have sorted my waypoint numbering system, the problem was with the GPS Limits in GPS Setup in MemoryMap, I have now set the waypoint name length to 14 and the waypoints per route to 250. Now a route with up to 250 waypoints are displayed correctly and over 250 cascade into a second route showing the waypoints from 250 to the end.
All this experimenting is at my desk, hopefully I'll be able to have a play in the real world at the weekend and find out if this cures my original problem, hope so!

There is another option in MM, Points per track, do you know how many points per track the 60CSx can hold?
Cheers
Maymo
philpugh
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Mon Sep 17, 2007 1:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Maymo wrote:

There is another option in MM, Points per track, do you know how many points per track the 60CSx can hold?

20 saved tracks 10,000 points in each

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Garmin Handheld GPS Receivers All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: