Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - TT3 maps not up-to-date
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

TT3 maps not up-to-date

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Software-Only Products
View previous topic :: View next topic  
daveg56
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon May 17, 2004 10:56 pm    Post subject: TT3 maps not up-to-date Reply with quote

I was disappointed after upgrading to TT3 to find that some major motorway changes have not been incorporated. Three that I'm aware of and use, are the M6 Toll, A41 extension in Bucks, and the new A46 in Lincs.

This is really a poor effort by TT. Although generally it is a good product, the company is really bad at customer communications and PR.

Do others agree here?
BoPeep
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Mon May 17, 2004 11:57 pm    Post subject: TT3 maps not up-to-date Reply with quote

Hi daveg56,

I think you'll find that quite a few people have noticed a significant lack of new and updated roads, roundabouts, etc. in TTN3 - see the review comments here.

If you are concerned about the address lookup facility in TTN3, DavidW has written a very useful open letter to TomTom about this problem and this can be found here.

Regards,

Bo Peep.
DavidW
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Wed May 19, 2004 10:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

A lot has been written about M6 Toll in particular. It was mapped by TeleAtlas too late to make it into Navigator 3 - Navigator 3 is based on December 2003 TeleAtlas data, and M6 Toll doesn't appear in TeleAtlas data until something like January or February 2004. With the time lag between TeleAtlas releasing a geodata set and the navigation software companies releasing it as maps, I think only one or two more niche products currently include M6 Toll.

I don't think we'll see M6 Toll in Navigator until Navigator 4 - unless TomTom decide to respond to my 'open letter' with a proper fix for Navigator 3 which will, I'm fairly certain, involve reissuing the GB maps. Even then, to save time and money, they'll probably rebuild the current maps rather than start again with new TeleAtlas data unless they find they have to do that (in which case they may as well use the latest data). Don't hold your breath, though.

Annoyingly, I've found quite a few mistakes in the Navigator 3 maps in the Paddington area of London that weren't there in Navigator 2 (I deliberately drove some routes Navigator 3 was giving me even though I knew better ones myself). At some point in the next couple of days I'll sit down and try to put together a comprehensive list of all these errors, reporting them both here and to TeleAtlas here.

David
rsjeffrey
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon May 24, 2004 5:44 pm    Post subject: TT3 maps not up-to-date Reply with quote

There are also problems with road names in the London N6 area - I have found two wrongly named roads within 50 yards of where I live (interestingly, the names given by TT3 do not exist anywhere in London). In the previous version of TT, both roads were correctly named.
ABeeBeeSee
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed May 26, 2004 2:28 pm    Post subject: Missing places in TTN3 Reply with quote

Junction 6 A1(M) southbound exit sliproad still hasn't appeared in TTN3 (it was also absent from TTN2), and I've been using this road for nearly 5 years! Someone mentioned it in this forum last year, I think.

A short 6 mile trip from Gunnels Wood Road, Stevenage (A1(M) junction 7) to a private road just off the B197 Digswell hill (0:12:59W; 51:49:20N), just yards from the non-existent-in-TomTom sliproad (a trip which in practice is on at J7, off at J6) - becomes a 12 mile trip via junction 4
ABeeBeeSee
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Aug 17, 2004 5:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This slip-road is also missing from the ViaMichelin maps, who also use TeleAtlas ...

After my previous post, I reported it on the TeleAtlas website - its status is still 'Under Analysis'

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Software-Only Products All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: