Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Checkpoint Setup Failed
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Checkpoint Setup Failed

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Other Software
View previous topic :: View next topic  
VIX
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun May 02, 2004 11:16 am    Post subject: Checkpoint Setup Failed Reply with quote

I just tried to load Checkpoint and got this message on my xda ii screen:

Setup Failed
The file
"\Windows\AppMgr\Install\TomTomWizard.CAB\" is not a valid Windows CD Setup File.

My xda ii is new and came with V1.6 and Pocket PC 2003 preinstalled. I have loaded TomTom3 which is working fine. Checkpoint download is SetupCheckPOInt_PPC2002.exe. I am running this file on my main pc with ActiveSync.

Any ideas please?
DavidW
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sun May 02, 2004 3:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ignore the error - it's because TomTom's installers are a bit nasty and force the Pocket PC to soft reset before the Add/Remove Programs system has tied up absolutely every loose end.

You will sometimes get errors the next time you install something on your Pocket PC after installing a TomTom component. Just ignore them and they won't appear again.

You will probably find that CheckPOInt installed just fine as well - the error doesn't affect the new install. It seems that an attempt is being made to restart a TomTom install that completed, but wasn't taken out of the install queue because of the TomTom installer forcing a soft reset.

David
VIX
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun May 02, 2004 6:33 pm    Post subject: Checkpoint Setup Failed Reply with quote

David,

Many thanks for your advice. I'm a newbie at this and, having checked, CheckPOInt has loaded and seems to be working fine.

I am now having problems getting POIPlace to Validate the synchronization settings! Any ideas? (I am connecting to the internet via the cradle and my pc and can browse ok, but I'm getting a "CheckPOInt could not connect to the POIplace website" error.)

Cheers!
DavidW
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Mon May 03, 2004 11:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't use CheckPOInt 3 - I don't like it.

Once you're in synchronisation mode, you can't make POI recording work like CheckPOInt 2, which makes it essentially impossible to record POIs for the Pocket GPS camera database. Even if you don't enter POIplace registration details, the POI recording in CheckPOInt 3 doesn't work well - it fails to put any comments in CheckPOInt.ov2, and any false POIs are deleted from the POI file, not noted in CheckPOInt.ov2 (which I'd like as at least a configurable option).

The thing I most hate about CheckPOInt 3 is that when I tried it, I found that once you've entered your POIplace registration details, there seems no way to get them off the Pocket PC short of a hard reset. I've tried a couple of times to find them - they don't appear to be in a file, or the Registry. I think they may be being slipped into a system database somewhere, but I'm not sure. I appreciate the need for security, but why not an 'unlink from POIplace option' and/or them being deleted when you uninstall CheckPOInt.

Finally, I found that all the icons that were downloaded when you entered synchronisation mode took a great deal of memory.

None of my issues were resolved in CheckPOInt 3.2.

However, I respect the right of the developer of CheckPOInt to develop the application as he sees fit. I'm very grateful for all his hard work, especially as the results are available free of charge.

As you can probably imagine with the comments I've posted, I prefer CheckPOInt 2.0.2 and the Pocket GPS camera database.

David
VIX
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue May 04, 2004 10:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

David,

Many thanks for your further advice. I am very new to this and would be very happy to remove CheckPOInt 3.2 and download V2. Presumably there is no negative impact to this otherwise you woudn't have done it?!

One further question though, if you can't validate on POIplace, how do you get updates for the Pocket GPS camera database?

Regards,
Steve
DavidW
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Tue May 04, 2004 11:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Pocket GPS camera database isn't on POIplace anyway. One way to get the database onto your Pocket PC and keep it updated is to use POIEdit on the PC - see the article here for instructions - though note that the synchronisation screens are a little different in the latest version of POIEdit.

There is a way of synchronising POI files directly with Pocket GPS using the Pocket PC, but it uses software that is not yet publicly available.

There's no problem with removing CheckPOInt 3 and installing 2.0.2 - the only thing you can't do is remove the synchronisation details, so you can't use CheckPOInt 3 in the future in unsynchronised mode without a hard reset. As CheckPOInt 2.0.2 is better for use with the Pocket GPS database anyway (and works just fine with Pocket PC 2003 and Navigator 3), I wouldn't worry about this.

David
VIX
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue May 04, 2004 6:11 pm    Post subject: Checkpoint Setup Failed Reply with quote

DavidW wrote:
The Pocket GPS camera database isn't on POIplace anyway.

This is waaay too complicated!!

I have finally managed to get CheckPoint to synchronize to POIplace and have downloaded the Starbucks and Macdonald overlays!! I will now try and get to grips with POIEdit! I think I'll perservere with v3.2 for now as I would rather avoid hard resets if at all possible.

Cheers,
Steve
DavidW
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Wed May 05, 2004 5:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There's no need to hard reset if you choose to go to CheckPOInt 2.0.2 - all you have to do is uninstall CheckPOInt 3 and install 2.0.2.

You can't get rid of the POIplace user details for CheckPOInt 3 without a hard reset, but that's not an issue if you choose to run 2.0.2. All it means is that if you return to CheckPOInt 3 in the future, it will already be in synchronised mode.

The POIEdit software is pretty user friendly, particularly as you simply have to tell it you want to synchronise with Pocket GPS and it basically sets itself up from there. Do make sure that your Pocket PC is connected via ActiveSync when you try to set up synchronisation, though.

David
KennYzz
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Aug 05, 2004 1:40 pm    Post subject: Re: Checkpoint Setup Failed Reply with quote

VIX wrote:
DavidW wrote:
The Pocket GPS camera database isn't on POIplace anyway.

This is waaay too complicated!!

I have finally managed to get CheckPoint to synchronize to POIplace and have downloaded the Starbucks and Macdonald overlays!! I will now try and get to grips with POIEdit! I think I'll perservere with v3.2 for now as I would rather avoid hard resets if at all possible.

Cheers,
Steve

Yo, how did you get the program to sync with POIplace. I have the same error. I am just connected trough the internet via Active Sync and i know I have a connection. What did you do to get it working???

Please Reply Soon! I am going on vacation tomorrow!
VIX
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Aug 05, 2004 7:02 pm    Post subject: Checkpoint Setup Failed Reply with quote

Hi,

To be honest, I can't remember, I just kept trying. Since then I have so many problems with my set up:

- Checkpoint fails to launch,
- TomTom software freezes
- TomTom UK road maps have roads missing
- TomTom GPS receiver goes dead when run from car battery
- TomTom car kit broke
- CarComm car kit broke

I have pretty much given up using it and at some time soon will try and get it replaced.

I am sorry not to be more helpful but wish you better luck.

PS The Starbucks database is very out of date. It says my nearest one is 50 miles away when there are 2 less than 5 miles away which have been there for at least 3 years!

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Other Software All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: