Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Help!!!!! New to this but need advice
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Help!!!!! New to this but need advice

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Beginners GPS Lounge
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Leah
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Jul 22, 2004 11:13 am    Post subject: Help!!!!! New to this but need advice Reply with quote

Hi
Im looking to buy a hand held for work where I can use a calender have a phone book and generally keep me organised. I also need sat nav and most importantly traffic updates every ten mins as I am going to be commuting every day. What is the best package for me to get? Also I have been looking at the information on the traffic reports and it talks about it being connected to a mobile, what is all this about? and how do I find out what I need?
Thanks
Leah
matty2767
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Jul 22, 2004 11:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

how much do you have to spend?
Leah
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Jul 23, 2004 9:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not really sure yet dont really want to spend more than £500 I guess, but really it is more important that I get the things I need so I really have no idea how much I need to spend?
Leah
swing
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Fri Jul 23, 2004 9:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Leah wrote:
Also I have been looking at the information on the traffic reports and it talks about it being connected to a mobile, what is all this about?

Some apps, eg TomTom3 connect via Bluetooth to a mobile phone and then use GPRS to receive the traffic updates - so for TomTom if you do not already have one, you would need a Bluetooth and GPRS capable mobile phone (GPRS costs money on top of your normal voice calls, and you also need a subscription to TomTom Traffic).

However, other apps, Navigon 4 (becoming popular) and Alturion (not popular in the UK) use radio signals to pick up very similar data (all sourced from the same place, iTIS) which means although the hardware costs a little more to begin with, there are no ongoing costs to receive the data.

However, the traffic data only covers the motorways and the trunk road network - so if your daily commute does not involve these roads, the data will not help - I find for my daily commute knowledge of the local holdups results in me using certain backroads that TomTom would never recommend. Remember only the major delays will be shown.

I would recommend you read the reviews of both TomTom 3 and Navigon 3 in the review section (I believe a Navigon 4 review is planned).
alix776
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Jul 23, 2004 10:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

how about the new copilot have look at the review on the main page looks like a doozy

Oh the joys of being a courier.
device Lumia 950 xl

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Beginners GPS Lounge All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: