Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Can't restore from backup (Ipaq 2210)
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Can't restore from backup (Ipaq 2210)
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> PDA/Smartphone Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
carl_w
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 19, 2004 3:22 pm    Post subject: Can't restore from backup (Ipaq 2210) Reply with quote

Started TomTom today and it went through the "first-time use" procedure ("do you want to use 3D icons?", etc.) and had lost all my settings. A soft reset didn't cure it.

So I restored from a recent backup on the CF card. Then when I next soft-reset, the progress bar that appears with the HP screen got all the way to the end then stopped. Nothing else happened Sad

So I did a hard reset (couldn't get it to work with the two buttons and the reset button, so removed the battery) and the PDA started working again, although in an "out-of-the-box" configuration as expected.

Then I tried restoring from a backup on the PC -- same problem as before.

Is this a known issue, or is there some trick to restoring from a backup that I don't know? Seems a bit pointless making backups if you can't restore from them! I'd rather not have to reinstall all the applications.
lbendlin
Pocket GPS Staff
Pocket GPS Staff

PostPosted: Mon Jul 19, 2004 3:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Your backup file may be corrupted. Hint: try to do a backup / restore now, to make sure this doesn't happen again.

Reinstalling all applications may actually be the quickest way to get you running again. Since a hard reset doesn't change the device ID your TomTom registration is still valid. You will have to go online for verification, but you don't need to redo the registration.

Report Map Errors here:
TomTom/TeleAtlas NAVTEQ
carl_w
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 19, 2004 4:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Seems unlikely that both the backup file on the CF card and the backup file on the PC should be corrupted. Bear in mind they're actually two separate backups -- one's not a copy of the other.
lbendlin
Pocket GPS Staff
Pocket GPS Staff

PostPosted: Mon Jul 19, 2004 4:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Have you done the restore-backup game that I suggested? If that fails as well then you may have to look into applying the 1.10 ROM upgrade again.

Report Map Errors here:
TomTom/TeleAtlas NAVTEQ
carl_w
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 19, 2004 5:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Restore/backup game?
lbendlin
Pocket GPS Staff
Pocket GPS Staff

PostPosted: Mon Jul 19, 2004 5:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You said you have done a hard reset. Before you start reinstalling everything, install just one application, and then do a backup, a hard reset, and a restore, and see if your application will be back on - or if that restore fails as well.

Report Map Errors here:
TomTom/TeleAtlas NAVTEQ
SteveW
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Jul 25, 2004 1:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is a common fault with TT3 on a 2210, and has been discussed on the TomTom Board. You need to exclude the file TTBTDEV.DLL which is in the Windows folder. I have a wired TT, and the file appears to be associated with BT.

I reported it as a fault to TT and they just replied "it is under investigation, We hope to have answered your question to your satisfaction...." Evil or Very Mad

See this Thread

The other solution I found was to pay for the upgrade to the back-up software, this cost $10 + vat. I think I found it via the HP site, it is called Sprite back-up.

Steve Thumbs Up
carl_w
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 25, 2004 11:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for that Steve. It's currently restoring without the TTBTDEV.DLL file so I'll keep my fingers crossed.

I'd reinstalled most things anyway, but I haven't been that happy with the TT3 installation this time round. Seems to take a lot longer to start up. Maybe it will be back to its old self when I restore it from the old backup.
SteveW
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Jul 25, 2004 10:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Glad to help, that one wound me up too, as I thought it was a fault with the 2210 as I had only recently purchased it and it was the first time I had to restore after O2 made a mess trying to get Internet working via GPRS.

You can trial the Sprite backup programme for 10 days, so you can load it and make a back-up and I think it will let you restore after the ten days. If you do pay for it, make sure you get the "Update version" as it is cheaper. This seems to let me back-up and restore the whole file system.

Steve
carl_w
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 26, 2004 10:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

An update on this: it appears that the TTBTDEV.DLL is required to make the BT GPS work. Restoring without this file causes the "GPS Disabled" message to appear at the bottom of the TTN screen. Even running the setup Wizard doesn't make it work.

So, like a smart-arse, I re-installed TTN 3.03 thinking that it would just replace the appropriate files (TTN 3.03 has a GPS driver update anyway). Did a soft reset and it stopped again Sad

Another hard reset, followed by a restore from the backup, followed by an uninstall of all the Tomtom components, then a reinstall of TTN 3, followed by TTN 3.03 and all was fine. It still had my home location and everything set up as it should be.

I think Sprite backup will be a useful investment.
SteveW
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Jul 26, 2004 11:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

From the name of the file I thought it was to do with BT. Luckily I have a Wired GPS. You need to try a backup and restore using the sprite trial software. You can find it Here

Let me know how you get on..... Thumbs Up

Steve
carl_w
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Fri Aug 06, 2004 11:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Getting a bit p1ssed off now.

Trial of Sprite has expired. Paid for the upgrade on 31 July, but still haven't received the authorization code Mad
SteveW
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Aug 07, 2004 12:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The authorisation code came for me straight away - get on to the helpdesk on the site.

Unfortunately I had to use a backup yesterday, as I had let the battery discharge for some reason. Low and behold the resore locked up on the reset. Angry

The only answer seems to me now is to copy that file to the CF/SD card, and back up without it. then copy the file across to the Windows directory after back-up.

Steve
carl_w
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Sat Aug 07, 2004 12:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

SteveW wrote:
The only answer seems to me now is to copy that file to the CF/SD card, and back up without it. then copy the file across to the Windows directory after back-up.
I tried that with the IPaq backup, but it still hung on reset after copying that file over Confused

I've e-mailed Sprite support, but no answer Mad
SteveW
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Aug 07, 2004 11:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Carl W,

So you tried restoring without TTBTDEV.DLL, this would/should restore OK and then tried copying this file over from CF/SD? I wonder why it locks up then?

Steve

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> PDA/Smartphone Discussion All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: