Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Urgent Help reqd ( comon guys help out a gal)
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Urgent Help reqd ( comon guys help out a gal)
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Beginners GPS Lounge
View previous topic :: View next topic  
sweety
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Jul 07, 2004 9:28 am    Post subject: Urgent Help reqd ( comon guys help out a gal) Reply with quote

Right fellas
I have been reading quite a bit over the last week over the gps systems and decided I need one THIS SATURDAY.
so
1. What are the advantages for me to purchase the 4410 BT with Ipaq 2210 over the more compact NAVMAN PIN?

2. Would you recommend TomTom BT with Ipaq 2210 instead?

3. What would you recommend for me
I need a decent PDA
A Good GPS IN the car and OUT of the car

Thanks fellas
p.s. I have been shown the Navman Pin everytime I have visited the numerous shops asking for a good GPS system in Totenham Court Rd area. Is it that good or are they just trying to offload their stock ?
Tim Buxton
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Jul 07, 2004 10:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I like the look of the PiN and one of my work colleagues has one. It's very compact as you probably know. There are two downsides to this product as far as I'm concerned, but if you can live with them I'd say it was good for in and out of vehicle use.

Firstly, the lack of third party add ins like custom POIs, camera databases, etc.. I can live without this since I never exceed the posted speed limits anyway. Supreme Angel

Second is the battery life out of the vehicle. I have no idea what this is but I'd be surprised if you were to get much more than two hours' use out of it, assuming you started with a fully charged battery.

As to the 2210 and BT, it probably represents a better in car system as you have flexibility in what you mount where but outside of the vehicle you're more than doubling the weight and size of what you need to carry.

I think I'm right in saying that the Tomtom BT device has a car charger but the Navman one doesn't (though you can use rechargable batteries in it). This might be another issue...
gokhart
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Jul 07, 2004 12:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Tomtom car kit comes with a charger that will charge both your PDA (if you get the right one) and your GPS device.
Darren
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Jul 07, 2004 1:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

We have a review of the Mitac Mio 168 which is the same hardware that Navman use for their PiN model here.

The Mio 168 is available in many different packages, Evesham sell it with CoPilot software, Navman sell it as the PiN with SmartST and others offer it with TomTom Navigator.

I liked the Mio 168 but I missed Bluetooth which it lacks. If I were to go for the 168 I'd get it with TomTom Navigator, the support for 3rd party plug-ins is superb and you can then use the likes of Niels excellent UKPostCode.

Last edited by Darren on Wed Jul 07, 2004 2:47 pm; edited 2 times in total
sweety
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Jul 07, 2004 2:38 pm    Post subject: reception quality? Reply with quote

Would the Bt 4410 give a better reception than the Navman Pin ?
Darren
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Jul 07, 2004 2:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

In ideal conditions the reception of the two units would be similar, however, in-car is often less than ideal conditions! Solar cotaings on windscreens can often affect reception as can the positioning of the receiver in which case the BT receiver will win in every case as it can be located in the optimum location without affecting where the PPC is.
Tim Buxton
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Jul 07, 2004 2:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It depends! Out in the open they'd be pretty identical, but in a vehicle therre are a few things to consider.

Does your car have a heated front screen or athermic (heat reflective) glass? If either of these is 'yes' then positioning of the receiver becomes more important, since these items reduce incoming GPS signals. With the 4410 you'd be able to place it on the rear parcel shelf for instance whereas this wouldn't be a viable solution for the PiN.
Darren
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Jul 07, 2004 3:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Deja Vu Wink
sweety
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Jul 07, 2004 3:12 pm    Post subject: Mio vs Ipaq Reply with quote

Ok Now I understand the GPS side of it
1) Is the Navman Pin PDA quite basic compared to the MIO?
2) What are the two slots in the top of the Ipaq for ?
3) What about the battery life between the two?

I thought it would be nice to use a decent PDA when not using the GPS however if the difference is not that great I would go for the PIN

sorry for being lame

x
Darren
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Jul 07, 2004 3:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tha Navman PiN IS the Mitac Mio 168, the only difference is the Navman Badge on the front!

The two slots on the top of the 2210 iPAQ are for memory, whereas the Mitac Mio 168 has a single SD Card Slot, the 2210 has an SD Card Slot and a CF Card Slot which gives you greater expansion potential and more options.

The battery life is similar between the two, approx 3-4 hrs light use, 2-5 - 3 heavy usage. A BT GPS will operate on it's own internal batteries for at least 6hrs, some much more. To confuse matters, I'd opt for a different BT GPS if you go that route, there are better solutions than the 4410 Thumbs Up
sweety
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Jul 07, 2004 4:04 pm    Post subject: there are better solutions than the 4410 Reply with quote

could you please suggest some for me ?
sweety
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Jul 07, 2004 4:08 pm    Post subject: sorry about earlier Reply with quote

I meant to ask

1) Is the Navman Pin PDA quite basic compared to the IPAQ? (not Mio)
Darren
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Jul 07, 2004 4:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It has the same processor and memory as the 2210 and runs the same operating system so there is nothing lacking on that side. What it does lack is Bluetooth which means you cannot connect to a Bluetooth enabled phone for web browisng, email etc nor can you synchronise to a BT equipped PC.

The CF Card slot on the 2210 is useful because there are a great many accessories avialable that use the CF interface, whilst SD Card slot accesssories are starting to appear now they are more expensive and there is less choice.

Were it my money and assuming the two options are similar in price then I'd go for the 2210 and a BT GPS running Tomtom. BT GPS units are very small (approx two packs of matches) and when you don't need it you can leave it behind and use the PDA.
sweety
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Jul 07, 2004 4:29 pm    Post subject: would you recommend this.. Reply with quote

IpaQ 2210 and SysOnChip GPS CF Plus II with XTrac II

This would give me a decent pda and car/mobile GPS

any downsides ??
Darren
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Jul 07, 2004 5:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

None that I can think of, what software do you plan on using?

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Beginners GPS Lounge All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: