Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - TTS for Garmin Nuvi 2595
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

TTS for Garmin Nuvi 2595

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Garmin Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
linkylacey
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Aug 10, 2012 9:17 am    Post subject: TTS for Garmin Nuvi 2595 Reply with quote

I have had my Garmin 2595, replacing a TT Go 910 for about a month now and am slowly coming round to the different logic...

There are, however, still a couple of things that I find disappointing:

With the Go910 I could create my own speed camera warnings by typing out what I wanted to be said and the unit would convert this into a spoken warning. It seems there is no way that the Garmin can do this and the best you can do is download pre-recorded voice files.

Is there any software out there that will allow TTS similar to that on a TT to be used on the Nuvi 2595?

My other concern is map errors and there are loads of them but no way to correct of advise - you just have to live with it and hope the mapping company will discover their error(s) and address the problem

Any help would be welcome
PhilHornby
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Aug 10, 2012 3:52 pm    Post subject: Re: TTS for Garmin Nuvi 2595 Reply with quote

linkylacey wrote:
With the Go910 I could create my own speed camera warnings by typing out what I wanted to be said and the unit would convert this into a spoken warning. It seems there is no way that the Garmin can do this and the best you can do is download pre-recorded voice files.

Is there any software out there that will allow TTS similar to that on a TT to be used on the Nuvi 2595?

There's lot of 3rd party software out there that can do this, including freebies such as http://www.text2speech.org/. (You might need to do a conversion to .WAV before your unit will play them)

and he wrote:
My other concern is map errors and there are loads of them but no way to correct of advise - you just have to live with it and hope the mapping company will discover their error(s) and address the problem

"Loads of them" Really?

Anyway, you can report errors to Garmin via their web site (The link is broken at the moment, so I've emailed 'em), or directly to Navteq ("Point, Click, Report" Wink )

͕
linkylacey
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Aug 10, 2012 11:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
"Loads of them" Really?

Yes indeed, far more than with my old TomTom, I really only remember that being wrong once (there was a hedge growing across the road) but the Garmin is a lot of the time - e.g. wrong way up one-way streets - directing via a pedestrian mall, etc. and their Starbucks POI tend to be shown in the wrong place it is all rather sloppy... I took it with me to Europe and it got me well and truly lost around Aachen. I dont know where it was going, but it was not the destination I had set - Calais. It wanted to leave the motorway and head South...

So, any text to speech program will work so long as you can convert the result to a wav file? Can you then replace the PGPSSW camera voice with the resulting file by naming them the same way? Or are the files frequency/bit limited?
dales
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Aug 11, 2012 11:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you're being routed against one-way streets or into pedestrian areas, check the device is not set to Pedestrian mode.

Dales.

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Garmin Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: