Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Go 750 LIVE - Route Re-planning
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Go 750 LIVE - Route Re-planning

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
DennisN
Tired Old Man
Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Sat Nov 12, 2011 9:12 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I 'think' the overnight difference would be down to IQ Routes and HD Traffic combining - last night it said anti clockwise, this morning it chooses clockwise because of some (relatively small) traffic difference.

Back in my GO700 days, the phrase "Turn around when possible" was very quickly to the fore when I went wrong, but nowadays, I can't remember any of my current ones ever doing so. All my devices recalculate the route when I get in the van of a morning after planning my route the night before - where I live is effectively a crescent and as I always go home from one end, anticlockwise, it wants me to set off next time continuing along the same direction anticlockwise to come out, even though I've reversed into my drive and can (do) leave in a clockwise route. In practical terms, that means when I do a delivery, it will often bring me back by continuing on past the destination finding a crescent return route.

When I want to do as you suggest, I'll go for either Avoid part of Route or Avoid Roadblock, but the latter is usually less sucessful as it'll tend to navigate around a bit then come back to the earlier route.

For example, Poole to Essex, if I wanted to use M25 clockwise, I'd at some stage along M3 tell it to Avoid part of Route, choose M25 and it would then put a block on M25 via Dartford Tunnel and maybe re-route via M25 clockwise.

If it tastes good - it's fattening.

Two of them are obesiting!!
Anita
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Nov 12, 2011 11:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

JaTe wrote:
If again the 750 worked on the IQ/HD theory, then perhaps I should turn the IQ off . . .

JaTe, you've mentioned "shortest distance" several times. Do you select shortest route rather than fastest? If so, surely IQ Routes are disabled anyway?
Samsung Galaxy S21
IanS100
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Nov 12, 2011 8:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You have to bare in mind that the TomTom has the same black/white logic as a computer ie it will see a route as preferred even it's only 1 minute faster despite a huge detour

If I plan to travel from Home in Southport PR8 to Blackpool FY1 my choice would be a 33 mile journey via Preston, TomTom however always suggests I do Ormskirk, M58, M6 & M55 to Blackpool -47 miles - On checking the journey times they can appear exactly the same, in which case I assume the TomTom chooses to route via preferred routes ie motorway, or the longer route may be a few seconds quicker so the TomTom, sees this logically as faster & the best route.

Much as I'd hate to be without a Sat Nav these days I regularly take routes I prefer from experience and let the 550 sort itself out
AliOnHols
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Sun Nov 13, 2011 8:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

JaTe, it would be interesting if you could set both the 750 and the 720 side-by-side and see at what point their suggested routes differ, especially if you don't "clear route" or "avoid anything" on either device, just let them catch up with your driven route. Although the initial directions may differ due the the superior knowledge that the 750 has, the routes should surely coincide at various times en-route to allow a direct comparison. Making mental notes of the various ETA's & remaining distances may help you establish what the other device is "thinking".
SatMap Active 10 & 20.
DennisN
Tired Old Man
Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Sun Nov 13, 2011 8:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I do have IQ Routes on my devices (550, 520 and Carminat), but simply because I can't be bothered turning it off. Personally, I don't give much credence to IQ - it's historical (last time I read anything from TT [and that's a long time ago] they said it was data collected up to a year ago) and there can be noticeable differences on the ground since a year ago.

It's interesting you saying your 720 behaved better (in your experience) as that's one reason I still keep and use my 520.

As for ETAs, mine are never correct unless I decide to thrash down the road at the top of the speed limit - I'd prefer my TTs to be able to be configured for my own driving preferences (like Autoroute used to be before they improved it!) as limited speed doesn't cover it well enough. I'm going to Southend tomorrow and TTs 520/550 say 178 miles, 3:01/3:02 hours, but there's no way I'll be doing that - my estimate is between 3.5 and 4 hours.

Seems to me you are doing your job properly using the TTs to their best advantage without becoming a slave to them. Thumbs Up

AliOnHols what you suggest is what I'm doing all the time (except I don't studiously note ETAs and routes). The difference between me and JaTe is he's using limited speed, which will seriously affect the planning, doing away with both IQ routes and Fastest route. In my case, the original route is pretty much identical for both, with them only differing when Traffic kicks in and I respond (either Yes or No) to suggestions about re-routing - there is a VERY significant difference between TMC and HD traffic.

AliOnHols
Pocket GPS Verifier
Pocket GPS Verifier

PostPosted: Sun Nov 13, 2011 10:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

DennisN wrote:
....The difference between me and JaTe is he's using limited speed, which will seriously affect the planning, doing away with both IQ routes and Fastest route. In my case, the original route is pretty much identical for both, with them only differing when Traffic kicks in and I respond (either Yes or No) to suggestions about re-routing - there is a VERY significant difference between TMC and HD traffic.

I'm getting confused, as always happens when I spout about things I know little about!! Shocked So, how about this:- If JaTe has got Limited Speed set at 60 on both devices, doesn't that turn his 750 into what would be a 720HD? Then any difference between the routes would be the answer JaTe is looking for. However, if there are differences between map versions on the two devices this could also affect the results unless most of the route is on non-new Mways and A roads.??

Definitely out of my depth now. I'm going to stop demonstrating my ignorance.
SatMap Active 10 & 20.
DennisN
Tired Old Man
Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Sun Nov 13, 2011 10:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I blame the navcore - 550 is more "improved" than 520. Rolling Eyes My 520 is older version (only one version older) of map compared to 550. I have yet to find any differences. Although presumably there will be differences between the IQ Routes data coded into the maps.

PS. I'm still not sure whether JaTe actually still runs a 720.

Froggy
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Nov 13, 2011 12:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have noticed on several occasions when driving through Glasgow that my 750 Live suggests a route which I know from experience takes longer - when I ignore it and follow my own route, the ETA drops by 2 or 3 minutes....

On the subject of ETA, I agree with DennisN that the Tomtom gives totally unattainable ETAs most of the time. It seems to work on the basis that you are on the limit at all times. My old Navman ICN510 had many failings, but the ETA was almost invariably spot on - unless traffic delays significantly affected the journey.
MRCC
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Nov 13, 2011 1:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The ETA on my 540 Live with v8.371 is nearly always slightly pessimistic.

On shortish journeys i normally arrive about 2-3mins before originally predicted, whereas on long journeys it is often 10-20mins. IQ routes is enabled and the map is about 1 year out of date. Perhaps the reason in my case is that I often start my long (3 to 4hr) journeys back home at 4-5pm so there are a lot of HD traffic delays showing but as the rushhour subsides the Traffic delays often melt away and my arrival time improves.

Also, when no traffic delays i often see an improvement, so my average speed must be better than what IQ routes thinks. Most of my journeys are on M-wys and fast A-roads.

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: