Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - upgraded to a 750....all is good
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

upgraded to a 750....all is good

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
uk89camaro
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Sep 22, 2011 10:46 pm    Post subject: upgraded to a 750....all is good Reply with quote

My much loved 720 died recently, and although I think it could be repaired I needed a new one in less than 24 hours.

Looked up a comparison site to view a summary of "old" and "new" range TomToms. Wow! what a minefield.

I wasn't convinced that the newer 1000 range had the two main issues sorted (i.e. PC connectivity, and user POI's), so I made a conservative decision to upgrade one model to a 750.

Like the google search, like the Live (assume the antenna is built into the mount, or did they just design another mount for the sake of it?), like the voice commands.

Couple of teething problems. Connected to Home and it overwrote my EU maps with Western Europe (because that it was I was subscribed to on my 720), that was 2 hours wasted. However, big up to TT customer services, 10 minutes on the phone and they converted my map upgrade to EU, and I had a new map link within minutes. (I did have to nip out for a micro SD card though)

Tip - Glad I had my old map, POI's, and favourites (saved as a POI) installed on the 720 SD card, quick copy across and I had it all up and running.

But why can't the darned thing simply switch to night map saettings using the clock?
Andy_P
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Sep 23, 2011 3:11 pm    Post subject: Re: upgraded to a 750....all is good Reply with quote

uk89camaro wrote:
(whether or not) the newer 1000 range had the two main issues sorted (i.e. PC connectivity, and user POI's)

PC connectivity is a whole new system. TT were forced into it by the amount of map piracy going on (some say they had to do it because of the legal settlement they had to come to with Microsoft over use of the FAT system).

Adding POIs is no longer an issue, they can be added just fine using MyTomTom.
The biggest outstanding issue is the lack of proper itinerary planning as we were used to on the old models.

uk89camaro wrote:
Like the google search, like the Live (assume the antenna is built into the mount, or did they just design another mount for the sake of it?)

No, the LIVE services are handled by a standard mobile phone SIM card and antenna, all inside the main unit.

uk89camaro wrote:
But why can't the darned thing simply switch to night map settings using the clock?

It does! But for some daft reason it uses the clock time received from the GPS satellites rather than the internal clock. Which means the switch-over is delayed until you have a good signal lock (and still takes a bit of time after that!

There are some ongoing discussions with TomTom over that issue.
uk89camaro
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Sep 23, 2011 5:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

One thing I forgot to add.

When it came out of the box it had a button to "add camera location".

By the time I had done all my map updates it had disappeared. I assume that as 99.9% of cameras are identified there is little need for this button?
DennisN
Tired Old Man
Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Fri Sep 23, 2011 7:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

uk89camaro wrote:
I assume that as 99.9% of cameras are identified there is little need for this button?

You actually use TomTom cameras?

If it tastes good - it's fattening.

Two of them are obesiting!!
uk89camaro
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Sep 24, 2011 8:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

DennisN wrote:
uk89camaro wrote:
I assume that as 99.9% of cameras are identified there is little need for this button?

You actually use TomTom cameras?

No.

I use the PGSW subscribed database.

As you might remember, at one point in the past when the database was new, you could get a free subscription if you reported x number of new camera positions.

I assume that the button was used for such a purpose?
DennisN
Tired Old Man
Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Sat Sep 24, 2011 8:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

No. That button was to report cameras to TomTom, hence my assumption you used their cameras. Very briefly, This page is where you submit cameras to PGPSW. There are good notes on how to make it easier if you need them, just ask. FREE Subscriptions clicking thing shows criteria for getting a free lifetime membership (I got mine in 2006).

If it tastes good - it's fattening.

Two of them are obesiting!!

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: