Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - XL Live IQ Routes Edition or Via LIVE 120?
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

XL Live IQ Routes Edition or Via LIVE 120?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
scotty76
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Jul 18, 2011 3:17 pm    Post subject: XL Live IQ Routes Edition or Via LIVE 120? Reply with quote

I've been having a look at these two, both the UK and ROI variants, as Amazon are selling the XL for £119 this week. Halfords have the Via Live 120 for £156.

I already have a Garmin Nuvi 310D with lifetime map updates and it's fine. The reason for the interest is getting access to HD Traffic for longer journeys. I have one coming up this weekend from West Berks - Lancaster. Beyond that my sat nav gets occasional use. I don't need Bluetooth. I've read with interest the ongoing discussion on the 50 mile limit to HD Traffic.

I guess what I am wondering is whether the Via Live 120 is worth the extra £37 or is it a case of the newer/more features = less stable?
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Jul 18, 2011 4:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As long as the XL IQ Live doesn't have a small number 2 against the model name I would go with that unit as it avoids being forced to use the crap "MyTomTom" computer interface software which you have to use with the VIA device - Mike
AndyVaughan
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 18, 2011 7:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

XL LIVE any day.

Then again I might be a little biased Very Happy
AndyVaughan
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 18, 2011 7:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mikealder wrote:
As long as the XL IQ Live doesn't have a small number 2 against the model name

Did they ever do a LIVE version of the XL IQ2??? They were the ones with the reduced functionality Navcore as per the Start weren't they?
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Jul 18, 2011 7:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No idea whether they did produce an XL IQ Live_2 but if they did its not worth purchasing based upon the non Live model with a small 2 in the model name.
With so many different TomTom One's, XL some with options dependent upon country of purchase the entire product range is difficult to understand in terms of capabilities these days - Mike
AndyVaughan
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 18, 2011 7:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Pretty sure they didn't do a LIVE version of the 2 in the UK. You are right Mike - not worth buying a XL2, and yes the model range got very confusing around the ONE/XL
scotty76
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Jul 18, 2011 8:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you both. I can see no mention of a 2 in the title so fingers crossed.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/TomTom-XL-Live-IQ-UK/dp/B00359F0IA
AndyVaughan
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Mon Jul 18, 2011 8:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That is the same as mine! - the XL LIVE IQ Routes

As a tip, I think the next map is due out sometime around 23rd August, so if you can hang on and order one so that the first time you power it up is sometime around 25th July, your Latest Map Guarantee will still be valid when the next map comes out.

TomTom might want visibility of a receipt as LMG doesn't always kick in straight away when a new map comes out, so you may want to hang on and order next Monday (if you can).

If you do, don't be tempted by any messages HOME gives you about a new map being available until at least 2 days after you see on here that the map has been released.

If you have ever had a TT before and used HOME make sure you use a different email address to register this device against as all kind of odd things can happen with LIVE devices if you use an email address that TT already have a device, map or subscription registered against. Some people seem OK, others have the whole world of pain that is calling TT Customer Services to get it sorted out.

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: