Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Post code searching in TTN3
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Post code searching in TTN3

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Beginners GPS Lounge
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Roco
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Jun 01, 2004 1:58 pm    Post subject: Post code searching in TTN3 Reply with quote

Hi All.
I'm a very new user to TTN3 and its my 1st Sat nav system. How do you do a post code search? is there some other add-on needed to find places by just entering the postcode?

Roco
NBW
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Jun 01, 2004 2:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you plan a route as normal the system will let you put in the first 3/4 digits of a postcode and then first digit of second group. :D
Robin2
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 01, 2004 3:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Go to the TomTom page and read the sticky which gives full details of a free add-on written by Niels. It works brilliantly with full UK postcodes.
Robin
Robin2
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Tue Jun 01, 2004 3:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry, the thread has disappeared from the TomTom page. But youcan download the program from
www.digitools.co.uk/ukpostcode.php
Robin
silversurfer
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Jun 02, 2004 7:02 am    Post subject: post subject Reply with quote

you can also enter the first 5 digits of the post code in the city box when looking for a place
Robin2
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 02, 2004 7:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, the first 4/5 digits of the postcode are (usually) acepted by TomTom as an alternative to typing the city name. But the joy of Niels' UK Postcode program is that you enter the full postcode and it takes you straight to the exact location. Since the address lookup in TTN3 is so poor for many towns in Britain (try Chelmsford for example) it is really a must. Had I not had the postcode program, I would not have "upgraded" from TTN2 to TTN3
Robin
silversurfer
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Jun 02, 2004 9:46 am    Post subject: post subject Reply with quote

just had a look at neil site ,seems a very good download ,

which one would you recomend for a 2210 running microsoft pocket pc version 4.20.0 (build 14053) is this pocket pc 2003 Question
DavidH
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Jun 02, 2004 10:37 am    Post subject: Niels program and NON-TT3 programs Reply with quote

I bought the TDM Medion package (Tchibo). Does Niels' program work with that as well? (I suspect it's just TT3 but his web site isn't definite).
Robin2
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Wed Jun 02, 2004 11:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Silversurfer 4.20 is Pocket PC 2003. I have the same OS on my iPAQ 2210

DavidH I'm pretty sure that Niels' program only works with TomTom. I originally ran it with TTN2, but when I upgraded to TTN3 it still worked! For integrating with TomTom, it's better if you also have CheckPOInt installed. This is available as a free download from the Pocket GPS download pages

Robin
Roco
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Jun 03, 2004 10:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks to all, ( this forum thingy is great)

Ive been to niels site, downloaded the ukpostsode, but stil have some problems launching it. Following the steps i extracted the 5 files, noted that when i ran setup.exe (step3) application manager lanched, but i did not seen any reference to "uk postcode " in the PROGRAMS TO ADD window.
I did tick the box to indicate installation to the default location and clicked ok. I did NOT see a message on the ipac 2210 to indicate successful regisration of the .ocx control (is this the fault?) Nevertheless i pressed on and copied over the ukpostcode.exe and the ukpostcode.dat files to the ipac to the SD card into a new directory i named "UK(space)Postcode". I can see thes files in the ipac using windows explorer. The exe file has its own icon, but the .dat file has what i think is the windows std icon for a file not associated with an application, ( wavy window icon??).

I created the shortcut and have put that into windows/start menu/programs and it appears there ok. BUT when i tap it to luanch it says
"Cannot find ukpostcode ( or one of its components). Make sure the path and filename are correct and all the required libraries are available."
Ive trried launching the application directly from the resident location on the SD card but got same message. Ive repeated the creation of shortcut and the placing of it a couple of times but no change.

I would really apreciate a step by step rescue if possible
I am sure i have just made a basic mistake somewhere, which is why i have wrote this epistle to provide as much info for a rescue mission (or is it mission impossible)

Thanks Roco.

I have an ipac 2210 running PocketPc 2003, (OS versionWindows CE 4.20), TTN3
AndyWilson
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Jun 03, 2004 11:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think I had a similar problem when I installed on my 3870 running PPC2002. Basically the installer didn't install the ocx.

From memory I copied the cab file (the one with the TomTom SDK) to a temporary folder on the ipaq and clicked on it there to install the ocx.
Robin2
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Thu Jun 03, 2004 2:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The setup for uk postcodes is a little flaky - Niels concedes this and intends to look at it when he has time. But there is a very simple work around.
First instal CheckPOInt (version 2 is a free download from Pocket GPS World, and it's a very useful program in its own right to acess the Speed camera database) But CheckPOInt also provides the hooks to TomTom. When you have CheckPOInt working, all you need to do is copy 2 files, ukpostcode.exe and ukpostcode.dat onto a memory card and it works without any installation. It's worth putting a shortcut in your programs menu to make it easy to open. I have it configured so that entering a postcode automatically opens TomTom, and closing TomTom also closes ukpostcode. It's totally seamless in operation
Robin
Roco
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Jun 04, 2004 10:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Fanx loads guys. Really appeciate the help. Ill give this a try and let you know how i get on

Roco

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Beginners GPS Lounge All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: