Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - TomTom Traffic HD: Is it working or is it my map update?
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

TomTom Traffic HD: Is it working or is it my map update?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Privateer
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Dec 20, 2010 12:33 pm    Post subject: TomTom Traffic HD: Is it working or is it my map update? Reply with quote

Can anybody confirm whether TomTom Traffic HD is currently working?

Yesterday I attempted to update my TomTom 950 Live Europe map from V855.2885 (2177.9 Mb) to V860.3102 (2382.6 Mb).

I know that the 860 map has been out for a while (month or so) but we've been suffering with really slow broadband which has made downloading 2+ Gb of data rather hard.

Once I had tried to download the new maps, TT Home proudly told me that "your new items don't fit on your navigation device". Grrr why do TomTom penny pinch and only put a 4Gb drive into their, then, top of the range flagship the 950 Live, when half a year later they produce a map that blows the 950 out of the water?

I then ordered an 8Gb Micro SD card, copied the entire contents of the 950 to the Micro SD card and popped the card into the 950 and ran the update again. The update still complained that "your new items don't fit on your navigation device" so I placed the card into a card reader and ran the download.

The download (as always) produced a consistent error, I'm glad that I can rely on TomTom for some things. Just shut down Home and restart it and ask for the download to restart and it reports that it'll start updating the map.

Once the map was downloaded, I started up the 950 which then when on a continuous rebooting session. This was fixed by deleting the mapsettings.cfg file.

Why do TomTom make it so hard (drive size too small, maps designed for specific products too big, poor updating processes, etc) to do what should really be a plug-and-go operation?

I now have the 860 maps on SD card but no Traffic. I pulled out the SD card and ran the 950 on the old 855 maps, but still no Traffic.

The TomTom Routes website is working

So, is TomTom HD Traffic working at the moment for PNDs?

Thanks,
Garmin Camper 770 LMT-D
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Dec 20, 2010 12:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Robert, Which Navcore have you got installed to the device? The newest seems to take ages to actually connect to the HD Server, the previous version wouldn't connect at all, as I recall 8,371 is about the best of what can be described as a bad bunch of recent releases - Mike
DennisN
Tired Old Man
Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Mon Dec 20, 2010 12:55 pm    Post subject: Re: TomTom Traffic HD: Is it working or is it my map update? Reply with quote

Privateer wrote:
Why do TomTom make it so hard (drive size too small, maps designed for specific products too big, poor updating processes, etc) to do what should really be a plug-and-go operation?

The simple cure is to go out and buy a 1000 - it don't have none of the connectivity stuff or update stuff or anything, so none of it can go wrong. Laughing

My GO550 Live, OS 9.054, has just (inside the house) got a satellite fix in next to no time and then HD connection very shortly thereafter - there seem to be a few traffic problems all round here!

If it tastes good - it's fattening.

Two of them are obesiting!!
Privateer
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Dec 20, 2010 1:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mikealder wrote:
Robert, Which Navcore have you got installed to the device? The newest seems to take ages to actually connect to the HD Server, the previous version wouldn't connect at all, as I recall 8,371 is about the best of what can be described as a bad bunch of recent releases - Mike

Mike, my 950 is currently running Navcore version 9.054, which I think is the latest.

Should I leave the SD card out and try and get Traffic working with the old 855 maps first, or should I insert the micro SD card and try and get Traffic working with the new 860 maps?

DennisN wrote:
The simple cure is to go out and buy a 1000 - it don't have none of the connectivity stuff or update stuff or anything, so none of it can go wrong. Laughing

Yes perhaps that's the reasoning behind TomTom's product development! Rolling Eyes

Do you reckon the TomTom 2000 will be "so" developed by TomTom's expert team that it will have the functionality of a house brick? Rolling Eyes

Regards,
Garmin Camper 770 LMT-D
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Dec 20, 2010 2:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Try the North American map on the memory card and the European map on the internal as it will fit once the NA map is moved, whether this will get HD Traffic working I really don't know - Mike
blush
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Dec 20, 2010 3:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am running 9.026 on my Go950 and everything is running from the SD card fine. I take it moving the files about didn't wipe out the login details for live services. My traffic has been working fine all day. I did have 9.058 navcore for a while but traffic used to take forever and the unit used to get in reboot loops almost daily when connecting to traffic.
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Dec 20, 2010 3:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

9,054 is broke so you need to remove the loose files from the root of the device where the Navcore software is located then connect to Home and update the device which will give you the newer 9,058.

Note, with 9,054 installed the wonderfully useless Home application won't offer to update to 9,058 unless you purge the Navcore files from the device - Mike
Privateer
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Dec 23, 2010 2:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Mike,

Many thanks for your helps so far. I think that this might be a long struggle! Apologies for the delay in replying Embarassed - I'm working till midnight this week, my PC's running a bit slow, my broadband connection is also slow (at least it doesn't drop) so I don't have much time on the computer and of course there's that little thing called Christmas! Wink

mikealder wrote:
9,054 is broke so you need to remove the loose files from the root of the device where the Navcore software is located then connect to Home and update the device which will give you the newer 9,058.

Do you mean that every single file, in the root of the device that is not in a folder, should be deleted?

I hit TomTom Home with a big stick and it upgraded itself. In turn the new Home installed Navcore 9.058 on the device.

At the moment I have a Kingston 8Gb Micro SD HC Class 4 installed in the device. I copied the whole of the device to the SD card and then ran the update on the SD card via a card reader. The maps are updated but Traffic isn't working. Removing the SD card reverts back to the older maps and Traffic still doesn't work.

In your opinion, is the SD OK?

I'm tempted to wipe the SD clean and the device as well and use the last backup - hopefully whilst it would be older maps but Traffic would work.

How do I get new maps and keep Traffic?

Regards,
Garmin Camper 770 LMT-D
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Dec 23, 2010 2:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Have you got Navcore software files on both the SDHC card and the internal memory, if so the device will only boot using whats on the memory card when inserted.
Whichever combination of internal memory vs SDHC you decide upon, if, when the device boots it is using Navcore 9,054 your Traffic won't work.

To be honest as you have 9,058 downloaded by Home I would find the download CAB file and exptract the files straight to the internal flash memory using WinRar as at least this way you have control as to where the installation is going. Home is rather useless in this respect, you tell it to load to internal it might load to the memory card! Then delete any loose files on the SDHC card, just use the memory card for the map folder(s) otherwise you will also encounter issues with the TTS files not working. Even 9,058 can take some considerable time to log in to the HD Traffic server - Mike
Privateer
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Dec 29, 2010 12:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Mike,

Thanks for your help.

I've removed the Micro SD card and concentrated on getting things working from the internal memory.

1. I installed Navcore 9.058
2. I then deleted all folders and files and restored from backup made before any map updates to v860 were tried.

In both case whilst I got use of the SatNav, TomTom services and traffic failed to work!!!!

Whilst fiddling with Live, I spotted that my Googlemail email address that I use for the username is one character short i.e. .CO instead of .COM

I have, as a last resort, logged a call with TomTom, which I'll list in the next post.

Regards
Garmin Camper 770 LMT-D
Privateer
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Dec 29, 2010 12:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Call as logged with TomTom, device id and email have been blanked.

PROBLEM:
Attempted to install Europe V860.3102 map onto my TomTom 950 Live. Used a Micro SD card and ever since TomTom Traffic and TomTom Services have not been working.

HISTORY:
Found that 860 map was available around 17 November 2010, but due to unreliable broadband link didn’t try until early 3 December 2010 when I found that my internal memory wasn’t large enough so I ordered an 8Gb Kingston Micro SD card. On 18 December 2010 I copied entire contents of TomTom 950 memory to Micro SD card and used card reader and TomTom Home to install new map.

ACTIONS TAKEN TO FIX PROBLEM:
Updated TomTom Home, which installed Navcore 9.058 onto Micro SD Card.

Removed Micro SD card
Deleted all loose files in root of internal memory
Installed Navcore 9.058 onto internal memory.

Deleted all files and folders from 950.
Restored backup (from before 18 December 2010, i.e. when Traffic and Services were working) of all files and folders.

In all of the above cases, whilst the basic navigation worked. TomTom Traffic failed.

CURRENT SYSTEM DETAILS:
Device: ***** *****
Username: tomtom950live.*****.*****@googlemail.com
App: 9.054.531676.1
GPS: V1.20
Boot: 5.5259
Maps: Europe V855.2885 (2177.9 Mb) and North America 2GB v845.26459 (1657 Mb)

POSSIBLE SOLUTION
In Live Services ¦ My Services, Username is listed as tomtom950live.*****.*****@googlemail.co, i.e. “.COM” without the “M”. Does this mean that there is a limit to the number of characters for the username and that my email for the device now exceeds that limit? If so can I rename username to “tomtom950live.*****.*****@gmail.com” instead? If this is the case, when did the limit change?

USER HAPPINESS
I’m extremely annoyed with the fact that I have lost Traffic on my 950 Live for over a month at a time when we had bad weather (snow).

I have paid not only for the top-of-the-range TomTom hardware and the services, but also for 18 months of map updates. Why is the internal memory of my 950 Live not able to take the official maps that were provided by TomTom that I paid for?

Why did the map update process cause a problem with my Live Services and Traffic?

I am not happy!!!

Please call me on +44 **** ******
Garmin Camper 770 LMT-D
Privateer
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Jan 02, 2011 5:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I got a reply from TomTom Customer support. Here's what they suggested:

1. Delete application (9.054) from device, using Home.
2. Delete all applications from Home.
3. Download and install application (9.058)
4. Perform Factory Reset.
5. Perform (soft) reset
6. Log onto device.
7. Test Live services.

The most important thing I did was:

0. Backup whole of device onto computer using windows explorer.

I now have a unit with Application 9.058, old maps and working traffic.

Right I now want to place the new Europe maps onto the device, which I can't at the moment as there is not enough room.

I still have the 8Gb Micro SD card, with the backup of the device on it.

I want Europe v860 on the device itself, and the older USA (v845) on the 8Gb Micro SD card. Can I simply:

1. Insert the Micro SD card back into the 950
2. Delete all loose files in the root of the Micro SD card.
3. Delete all folders except the USA map
4. Delete the Europe folder on the device itself.
5. Copy latest Europe (v860) folder from backup onto device itself.

Regards,
Garmin Camper 770 LMT-D
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Jan 02, 2011 6:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Privateer wrote:
Can I simply............

Yes, What TT CS told you to perform was the same advice I offered on Dec 20 last year.

Put the USA map on the card and leave everything else on internal, but I would suggest you use Windows Explorer to move the files around rather than Home which has a proven track record of putting applications and maps in to the wrong storage medium when confronted by both internal storage and a memory card.

9,054 doesn't work with UK HD Traffic, why Home is incapable of offering 9,058 as a direct upgrade without any customer intervention is rather bizzare, but this is a TomTom device we are discussing - Mike
Privateer
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Jan 03, 2011 1:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mikealder wrote:
Yes, What TT CS told you to perform was the same advice I offered on Dec 20 last year.

Sorry Mike Embarassed , I went back to basics to get Traffic and Live Services working before I could get the maps sorted.

I used Windows Explorer to put the USA v845 map on the card and to put the Europe v860 on the internal storage. I have even placed Europe v855 on the card. I have edited each map's .pna file to indicate the map version and its location. I now have Traffic working and:

Europe v855 (card)
Europe v860
North America 2GB v845 (card)

Many thanks for all of your help! Very Happy

Regards,
Garmin Camper 770 LMT-D

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: