Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Please help me choose a new TomTom
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Please help me choose a new TomTom

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
LTF
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Dec 10, 2010 3:39 pm    Post subject: Please help me choose a new TomTom Reply with quote

Having used the TomTom Navigator application on my HP iPAQ for many years, the time has come to upgrade to something more modern! And my significant other has agreed to buy me one for Christmas - yay!

I'm absolutely confused by the array of possible TomTom PNDs, many of which seem to have similar names and very similar features. I have one or two absolute "must haves", and would like some advice to help me choose. Price isn't (necessarily) an issue...

What I MUST have:
1) the ability to use custom POIs from the word go (no promises of additional features sometime next year!)

2) The ability to edit the custom POI from within the device.

The reason for 1) and 2) is I visit and revisit locations on a daily basis all over the UK, and have a very good database now (built up via TomTom Navigator on the iPAQ over several years as a custom POI file) which I need to transfer and use on a new device from the word go, and add to and modify. Obviously I use and value highly the PGPSW speed camera database too!

3) Itineraries, which I use daily. It would be nice to be able to export/import the ones I've got, but having to set new ones up wouldn't be a deal-breaker. But it must have this feature.

4) Europe maps included or available (good detail).

5) Bluetooth support for a mobile phone would be nice to have.

Anything else such as lane guidance, live traffic etc are all a bonus, given my current system is antiquated now.

What TomTom products fit this specification? Their website really doesn't provide the answers, and I can't easily find this information out from the Forums here in one easy-to-see answer. Thank you!
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Dec 10, 2010 4:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Go-750 or a Go-750 Live if you want the HD traffic even though this does attract a monthly subscription, you could always let it lapse and the device will work quite happily. See Here It does support hands free and comes with a decent windscreen mount.

Don't go anywhere near the following units:

Go-1000 Live No way to add things to the device
Go-1005 Live No way to add things to the device
Go-VIA 120 Live No way to add things to the device
Go-VIA 125 Live No way to add things to the device
Ease/ Start limited menu options especially POI's
XL_2 no itinerary mode

- Mike
LTF
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Dec 12, 2010 8:31 pm    Post subject: Thank you Reply with quote

Thanks, I went for a brand new GO 750 Live. Just setting it up now. A little disconcerted that the first thing it needed to do was download a 30 minute (at approx 6 MB/s) map update Sad
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Dec 12, 2010 8:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

To be fair a map update is around 2,2GB of data, if you managed to get that little lot down in 30 minutes I think you did very well, others have reported 2 to 3 hours for a Western Europe download!
It all depends upon the load placed upon the server at TomTom, when they release a new map loads of people download it reducing the available bandwidth so all those downloading suffer until demand is reduced - Mike
Andy_P
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Dec 12, 2010 8:49 pm    Post subject: Re: Thank you Reply with quote

LTF wrote:
A little disconcerted that the first thing it needed to do was download a 30 minute (at approx 6 MB/s) map update Sad

That's GOOD....

Go950's haven't been made for a few months now, so it will have been sitting on the shelves for a while.
New maps have been released since the ones that would be installed on it, so you've just benefited from TT's "Latest Map Guarantee".

Be happy... in the old days we didn't used to get it and you could be stuck with a map one or two versions old on a brand new machine. Or even worse... you could have bought a top of the range Go1000 where the Latest Map Guarantee doesn't work yet!
LTF
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Dec 12, 2010 9:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ah ... OK, I'll stop complaining then!

I steered clear of the 1000/1005 because I had read it was missing most of the important features, and that TomTom 'guarantees' of adding these in next year could be scotch mist.

Funny you mistakenly said I had a 950 because virtually the first page of my instruction manual refers to a feature (Enhanced positioning Technology) included with the GO 950. I had to check the box - I definitely have a 750!
DennisN
Tired Old Man
Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Sun Dec 12, 2010 9:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Did you get the latest map (v860) or a simply later one?

If it tastes good - it's fattening.

Two of them are obesiting!!
LTF
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Dec 12, 2010 9:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm sorry Dennis I have no idea. It sort of took over and told me there was an update, so I followed the onscreen instructions.

As I said I was a bit annoyed it was having to do what I assumed was a major upgrade (given the size of the download) out of a factory-sealed box ... although I stand corrected now on what was behind that.

Well it's certainly a later map than the one I have been using on my iPAQ for the last *cough* years, so I should say I'm happy!
DennisN
Tired Old Man
Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Sun Dec 12, 2010 9:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK, so I won't worry you. But if you did happen to tap the bottom right corner of the screen, then tap the version number there, you could worry yourself on my behalf. Very Happy

If it tastes good - it's fattening.

Two of them are obesiting!!
LTF
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Dec 12, 2010 9:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

v860.3102

Smile

We can all stop worrying!

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: