Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Tom-Tom 3 and iPAQ2210 (not bluetooth)
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Tom-Tom 3 and iPAQ2210 (not bluetooth)

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Software-Only Products
View previous topic :: View next topic  
LittleErn
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu May 27, 2004 7:51 pm    Post subject: Tom-Tom 3 and iPAQ2210 (not bluetooth) Reply with quote

Confused Since installing Tom-Tom 3.01 I have experienced a variation to the lock-up problem that other people seem to be having. Tom-tom works fine till I switch it off (i.e. "exit via the file menu on the map screen). Then it refuses to switch on again unless I perform a reset. It won't run from tapping the icon on the start menu unless I do the reset first.

I have only noticed this problem recently and can't swear that it happened immediately after installing version 3 so it may have some other cause. Any suggestions?
lbendlin
Pocket GPS Staff
Pocket GPS Staff

PostPosted: Thu May 27, 2004 11:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

When you switch it off (exit via the menu), and then look at the list of running programs - are there still some remainders in memory? like the GPS driver?

Report Map Errors here:
TomTom/TeleAtlas NAVTEQ
LittleErn
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri May 28, 2004 8:46 am    Post subject: iPAQ 2210 & TTv3 Reply with quote

Not as far as I can remember. However, since posting I seem to have solved the problem (probably temporarily) by closing all programs. Tom-tom then proceeded to (slowly) load itself - I suspect this was "remembering" my earlier attempts to tap on the icon. I exited and Tom-tom repeated its loading and I exited again. This was repeated about six times, getting faster each time. (I suspect that this was the number of times that I had tried to open it before re-setting). the loading got faster each time (perhaps as the backlog was reduced?) and finally Tom-tom was back to starting from the menu. I'm holding my breath!

Do you have any idea what's going on and how I can avoid it happening again? All help gratefully received.
iancjc
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Fri May 28, 2004 1:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You didn't have calender open did you?

TTN3 won't load up on my 2210 with the diary app is open - once I close it tomtom then loads up without a problem -multiply times if I've tried to startit 3 or 4 times!

Ian
LittleErn
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri May 28, 2004 9:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Ian. I think this must be the problem. I do believe Calendar was indeed running in the background - though I thought I'd closed it. I'll watch out for it happening again and check that calendar is open. Why doesn't it close when I click on the x ? Confused
DavidW
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sat May 29, 2004 2:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Programs on the Pocket PC don't close when you tap the X - they minimise. This has always been a source of some controversy - Microsoft believe that it's better to minimise for performance reasons (the OS closes minimised applications when it needs to recover the memory).

Many users, myself included, don't like to be dictated to in this way, and prefer to have the X meaning close. You need software to do this - my recommendation is Spb's Pocket Plus 2.0.

David
LittleErn
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat May 29, 2004 2:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

:| Thanks David. How do I get the program you recommend - and does it carry a large overhead?
DavidW
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sat May 29, 2004 2:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Spb Pocket Plus 2.0 can be found here. Once your evaluation period is over, it costs US$14.95 (plus VAT if you use Handango to register - not sure about PocketGear), which is somewhat less than ten pounds at current exchange rates.

It's one of my "must have" programs on a Pocket PC, along with Fitaly and Sprite Backup Premium Edition.

Total RAM taken is around 1600KBytes - which is not a lot when you consider all it offers. The Pocket IE enhancement is particularly good.

David
ttrevor
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Sat May 29, 2004 2:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I use Wisbar Advance this seems to work ok ,and ite free
Iphone x 64gb IOS 11.3.1 / IPhone 6 Plus 32gb IOS 12 beta /Volkswagen Scirocco R 280 bhp /Suzuki Vitara swb vvt+ /Suzuki Jimny special/running Apple Mac Mini / Apple air/ iPhone x /6 plus navigation / Apple car-play
DavidW
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sat May 29, 2004 3:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Indeed - there's many options, some of which are free.

I find sufficient "value added" functions in Pocket Plus 2.0 that I think it's worth the fairly low registration cost. That's not to say I deliberately eschew freeware - I'm a great fan of the free tAgenda 1.1.

My Today screen has Pocket Plus 2.0 at the top (mainly as a program launcher), then a Sprite Software's PocketMon (partly to monitor backups, but I also have it displaying battery and storage card information), then a large tAgenda section, finally Spb's GPRS Monitor.

Just to explain, particularly when it comes to software, I tend to recommend what I use myself - and am always interested in other people's recommendations. My policy online has always been that I'll disclose if a recommendation of mine was influenced somehow by the company (for example if I work or have worked for them, am on some kind of commission, was a paid tester or received a free / discounted copy of their product). So far as my Pocket PC goes, all the hardware and software I'm using I bought at full price - my only tie with the various companies and products I recommend is as a happy customer.

The only Pocket PC related favour I had is that Jo gave me access to the beta version of GPSAssist 2 and we discussed it before I paid my registration fee. Now that there's a public release of GPSAssist 2, anyone can download and try it on the same basis I did. I eventually registered my copy at full price because I was happy with it (this was back in the days of a fairly early beta before there was any public release).

David
Talkingbollox
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sat May 29, 2004 4:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I tend to programs by opening the keyboard and then tapping CTRL then Q.

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Software-Only Products All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: