Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Handheld GPS for inshore use
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Handheld GPS for inshore use

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Beginners GPS Lounge
View previous topic :: View next topic  
southernx
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue May 25, 2004 6:18 pm    Post subject: Handheld GPS for inshore use Reply with quote

Hello everybody

I am going to buy a Handheld GPS for my boat which I would like to give fairly detailed positions, i.e. buoys and channel markings, in case of inclement weather or fog, as I am fairly new at this, any suggestions or recommendations on a good but reasonably priced system please, would be most welcome.

David Thumbs Up
Dave
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Tue May 25, 2004 7:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Your best bet would be to go for a Garmin handheld GPS, these are all waterproof and would be better suited for a boat. Personally I'd suggest something like the GPSMap76/GPSMap76S or if you don't mind chucking away £600 then wait for the GPSMap76C/GPSMap76CS.

We have a review of the mono screen GPSMap76 here.
http://www.pocketgpsworld.com/garmingpsmap76.php

If you then add Garmin's BlueChart CD to this, you should be good to go. Or if you wanted to cut back on price a little, you could go for an eTrex Vista which will have a smaller screen.
dastardly
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed May 26, 2004 10:05 am    Post subject: Re: Handheld GPS for inshore use Reply with quote

southernx wrote:
Hello everybody

I am going to buy a Handheld GPS for my boat which I would like to give fairly detailed positions, i.e. buoys and channel markings

I do Scuba, and ride in RIBs alot. I bought a Garmin 45 when they first came out and it's very tough. I believe the modern ones have a Db of bouys, etc. It's probably the cheapest option though terribly dull when compared with modern plotters !! The first time that the Chanel mists come down you'll be glad of a comprehensive display. I think you'ld be happier in the long run with a decent plotter/map and it's worth spending more if you're going to be using it longterm.

You didn't say whether you intend to mount it or handhold it. If it's the latter, for God's sake get a waterproof bag WHICH FLOATS and a LANYARD. After all, you can't press the MOB button if it's the GPS which has gone overboard 8O
(Been there, done that, and was glad to have 5 other divers in the boat Embarassed )

Best wishes
John

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Beginners GPS Lounge All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: