Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Vodafone Network Monitoring & Reporting
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Vodafone Network Monitoring & Reporting

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Graeme2812
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Jun 17, 2010 11:33 pm    Post subject: Vodafone Network Monitoring & Reporting Reply with quote

Seeing as the Live devices use the Vodafone network, I thought this site may be of some interest when problem solving potential network issues.

I wish Orange would hurry up and get their act together with something similar, thats all I can say!
United Kingdom & ROI v945.6174
Darren
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Jun 18, 2010 10:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Vodafone aren't doing anything other than logging user signal reports though! You'd think they would have a rather cleverer system for measuring the signal propagation of their network instead of asking customers to Tweet their findings!
JoolsTwo
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Jun 18, 2010 11:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Darren wrote:
Vodafone aren't doing anything other than logging user signal reports though! You'd think they would have a rather cleverer system for measuring the signal propagation of their network instead of asking customers to Tweet their findings!

quite agree. I'm with O2 and at home my signal depends on what part of the house I stand in and what phone and also the weather, my wifes phone also on O2 has completly different reception to mine. we get anything from almost full signal to no signal at all, so what would I register if asked to?

technik
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Fri Jun 18, 2010 12:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Is this really an official Vodafone website?

Can't imagine that Vodafone or any other network would want people to know exactly how poor their coverage is in some areas.
Darren
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Jun 18, 2010 2:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

technik wrote:

Can't imagine that Vodafone or any other network would want people to know exactly how poor their coverage is in some areas.

It's official albeit the technical set-up that matches tweets to a map is the very clever invention of the guy who did the same for the snow map back in Feb. Vodafone have employed his services in this case.

As you say, whilst it may help Vodafone, it's a very poor advert for their signal, look at the amount of 3G compared to Edge/GPRS reports, abysmal!
MaFt
Pocket GPS Staff
Pocket GPS Staff

PostPosted: Fri Jun 18, 2010 2:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

technik wrote:

yes, it's official. they've been mentioning it on twitter recently.

however, Graeme2812 will soon be facing court action as the T&C's specifically state that "You are not allowed to ... link to ... the Website or any part thereof"

see you in court, naughty boy!

MaFt
Graeme2812
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Jun 18, 2010 6:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

MaFt wrote:

see you in court, naughty boy!

I doubt it. I don't remember being asked to read and agree to any terms and conditions prior to accessing the site or at any time whilst visiting the site. And to be honest, I don't have so much free time to sit and trawl through every single websites T's & C's I visit either.

An observation: as a member of staff (and presumably a moderator), you are still allowing the link to remain active, so knowingly allowing such a damming legal infringement to continue. Does that make you accessory to this "crime"?.

You can have my seat in court. Wink

Note to self: Any potential interesting websites/posts keep to self in future. Rolling Eyes
Darren
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Jun 18, 2010 6:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Graeme2812 wrote:
Note to self: Any potential interesting websites/posts keep to self in future. Rolling Eyes

I think the humour may have been lost in MaFt's comment. We were laughing about the ridiculous terms on Twitter, if we were truly concerned we'd have pulled the link Smile

As you say, it's buried and utterly stupid to make such a stipulation NOT to link to it. Berks!
Graeme2812
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Jun 18, 2010 6:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Darren wrote:

I think the humour may have been lost in MaFt's comment.

If this is the case, I apologize unreservedly to MaFt. It can be difficult sometimes to Gage tone and emphasis in written word in comparison to in person or voice etc...... It's been a loooooong week for me. Embarassed

I did think it were a bit of an OTT post if it were not in jest Confused
MaFt
Pocket GPS Staff
Pocket GPS Staff

PostPosted: Fri Jun 18, 2010 8:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

no worries Graeme2812 - it was said in jest!! maybe i should have added some smilies to help get the point across. - still, keep the seat warm for me in court :D

last saturday i was watching a program about the uk's first mobile networks and it was interesting to see that vodafone (then just a few blokes with grand ideas who fancied going up against BT with cellnet) created some amazing computer software that calculated the best places for putting the masts in order to get the best signal taking into account the lay of the land, towns, building etc etc. they built the masts and then spent a week driving around the whole country in a van testing the signal strength to see if it matched their predictions. according to the documentary, it did. pretty much perfectly. now THAT is clever. and proactive (actually getting people out there to test the real signal compared to the computed signal).

sadly, at this point, i had to set off out...

getting users to tweet their signal strength, on the other hand, is lazy and not accurate at all... i would be quite shocked if vodafone used this as real evidence (what checks are in place to stop people lying? over-exagerating? under-exagerating? not even using vodafone?!).

as Graeme2812 says though, it could be useful as a quick check for tomtom live users to get a rough idea however i wouldn't take it as gospel...

MaFt (happy on O2!)

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: