Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Newbie Question - New Navman, or?
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Newbie Question - New Navman, or?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Beginners GPS Lounge
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Ben-Macdui
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Apr 19, 2010 8:25 pm    Post subject: Newbie Question - New Navman, or? Reply with quote

I currently have a navman F10 that is not capable of camera uploads from this site. Rather than update via Navman I think it is probably best to get both updated mapping and traffic routing if possible in a model that is compatable with the full camera database you have. I see the Navman S505D is on offer but does not appear in your list of compatable items.

Is there somwhere in this site where I can add criteria/price that will show the options available for around £100-£130?

Many Thanks
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Apr 19, 2010 8:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Welcome to the forum, have you considered moving to one of the main players rather than sticking with the Navman brand?

Navman have a rather poor track record with resect to map updates and software updates, also their custom POI support is rather dire when compared to the likes of TomTom or Garmin.

What key features do you want from the nav device as the lower end products from Garmin or TomTom can both offer a significant upgrade over the hardware you are used to in terms of functionality and ease of use - Unless Navman/ MIO update the product range to work with POI databases containing more than 12,000 entries they are a waste of time if you want a decent Speed Camera database on the device - Mike
Ben-Macdui
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Apr 19, 2010 10:21 pm    Post subject: Newbie Question Reply with quote

Thanks Mike. I am happy to consider any brand, my main criteria being current up to date mapping, compatability with your great site for POI's, traffic re-routing and ease of use. Anything else is a bonus.
Andy_P
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Apr 20, 2010 6:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can only echo Mike's suggestion that you look at the main players i.e. Garmin or TomTom. As I'm prone to say, they aren't the market leaders for nothing, and it is only because they are so popular that we tend to see more complaints about them which gives an unfair impression of their capabilities.

I'm not very well up on the current /garmin models, but from TomTom you should be looking at:
1. the low end 'Go' models ESPECIALLY any deals you can find on the x30 and x40 models (where "x" stands for 5- models with UK maps, 7 - those with UK and Europe maps, and 9 - UK, Europe and US maps).
2. The 'XL' models, but preferably NOT the latest XL v2 which has a simplified menu and reduced features like the entry-level 'Start' model.
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Apr 20, 2010 8:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you want half decent traffic information then I would look at the TomTom XL IQ Live, this does carry a monthly subscription but the traffic data is about as good as it can get (its far from 100% though no traffic system will ever be perfect!).
The XL IQ Live uses a built in SIM card and modem to conect to the server for data, all associated costs are part of the monthly subscription and it can be used anywhere in Europe where TomTom support Live services (not all countries are covered). Whilst its possible to add Text To Speech to these devices this isn't a standard option and is quite involved, the addition of TTS though makes an already good device a great device IMHO - Probably one of the best they have released in the last 18 months.

The other traffic systems that can be employed are as follows:

RDS-TMC with rather poor signal coverage in the UK, this affects both Garmin and TomTom RDS-TMC receivers. Requires a seperate receiver and only works with certain devices.

GPRS Traffic via your mobile phone, (TomTom only) again subscription based, not as good as the HD Live service and you end up paying for both the subscription and the data traffic via your phone (if it supports such a connection) - Mike
Ben-Macdui
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Apr 20, 2010 9:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well thanks to you both for the time taken to answer. I will have a look over the next few days starting with the TT One IQ T. I guess I dont travel about enough to warrant a travel subscription charge (mostly daily commute), I take on board it may be a little hit and miss.

Given the £50 price differential and annual subscription cost I am not certain to be persuaded to the XL IQ Live but the features gave me plenty to use as a hit list.

Appreciate all your advice.

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Beginners GPS Lounge All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: