Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - 950 RDS traffic?
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

950 RDS traffic?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
TomDavison
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Fri Mar 26, 2010 12:05 pm    Post subject: 950 RDS traffic? Reply with quote

I recently changed from a 730 traffic, to a 950 Live. When I holiday on the continent, I drive down through France and Spain. With the 730, I had RDS traffic info for both countries. With the 950, the traffic info only covers France. Is it possible to add RDS traffic to the 950 for use in those countries where live services are not available?
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Mar 26, 2010 2:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes you can add the RDS-TMC unit for when you are out of range of the Live services - Mike
Andy_P
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Mar 26, 2010 11:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hang on... as far as I know the ONLY RDS-TMC unit that will work with the x50 models is the accessory mount with the receiver built in (THIS ONE).
The USB plug-in receivers for other TomTom models will NOT.
Gee-Pee
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Sat Mar 27, 2010 12:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mikealder wrote:
Yes you can add the RDS-TMC unit for when you are out of range of the Live services - Mike

Hang on, Mike. Did I misunderstand? On another thread (yesterday?), there was a query about Live 'roaming' in Europe and the answer was that it did work. Was that merely about mobile phone use or the full Live services?
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Mar 27, 2010 1:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok, out come the screwdrivers to take the Sim card out of the 950 sat in front of me, then I will try using it with the RDS-TMC receivers I have got - Might not have an answer till tomorrow night though.
I did think it worked with the Mini USB style receiver, but then again it might have been picking up RDS from the receiver built in to my Brodit style (home made) mount I have in the Ovlov - Mike
TomDavison
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 31, 2010 1:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

So it looks like whatever happens, I can't use the RDS lead from the 730T? I have a proclip mount for the car which has a mini usb and two other connectors. One looks like an i-pod but I can't make out the other,(speaker out?) and the paperwork from proclip doesn't say.
Gee-Pee
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 31, 2010 3:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

TomDavison wrote:
So it looks like whatever happens, I can't use the RDS lead from the 730T? I have a proclip mount for the car which has a mini usb and two other connectors. One looks like an i-pod but I can't make out the other,(speaker out?) and the paperwork from proclip doesn't say.

See HERE , from which I read and understand that you are right Crying or Very sad You cannot use the RDS TMC receivers for traffic on the 950. I assume that only LIVE traffic is available, through subscription, and then the countries in Europe are limited to what they supply.
TomDavison
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Wed Mar 31, 2010 10:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gee-Pee wrote:
TomDavison wrote:

See HERE , from which I read and understand that you are right Crying or Very sad You cannot use the RDS TMC receivers for traffic on the 950. I assume that only LIVE traffic is available, through subscription, and then the countries in Europe are limited to what they supply.

The link leads to a comparison of the old bluetooth compatible phone derived traffic data, and the RDS TMC. This preceded the X50 series, and so the info does not apply. The phone derived data was available in Spain. The 950HD data isn't.
TomDavison
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Tue Apr 13, 2010 11:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Did we ever find out if the 950 is capable of using any form of traffic info in Spain, where HD is not available?
Orac1
Banned

PostPosted: Tue Apr 13, 2010 11:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

TomDavison wrote:
Did we ever find out if the 950 is capable of using any form of traffic info in Spain, where HD is not available?

I also have an interest in this question as I own a 940 Live unit and the main country I most often go on holiday in is Spain.

Surely the much bigger question here though is why hasn't TomTom yet launched HD Traffic in Spain, even though it now has done so in far less traffic jam filled Portugal (in comparison to Spain's two big and traffic filled cities of Madrid and Barcelona). After all Spain is one of the big five countries in western Europe and it also has an extensive Vodafone network from which HD Traffic data is normally derived and then transmitted to the Go Live units.

The fact that the 940s and 950s weren't automatically bundled with RDS-TMC capable receivers to cover what was clearly going to be a very long transition period to a worldwide TomTom HD Traffic service smacks to me of the typical lack of thought and care for its end users that we consistently see from TomTom's hype driven marketing people.

How could it possibly be acceptable to eliminate traffic service altogether while travelling as a foreign motorist in countries in which you could previously get it in the interests of eventually one day having a better HD Traffic service everywhere. Rolling Eyes
MrT
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Apr 14, 2010 12:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have used the 940 with RDS traffic in France (pre roaming) and from experimenting with v9 software on the 940 I would assume that it would work on the 950.

It will only work when the device cannot get a GPRS connection and does not work when there are HD server problems but the unit can connect to GPRS.

The way to test this would be to go somewhere where there is no GPRS signal and see if the 950 tries to find an RDS signal, it tells you clearly when it is trying to do this.

I used the USB type RDS plugged into the standard mount of the 940.

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: