Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
SurfShark VPN
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Help - TomTom Go 630 or TomTom XL IQ Route2?
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Help - TomTom Go 630 or TomTom XL IQ Route2?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
tonymo13
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Apr 13, 2010 8:31 am    Post subject: Help - TomTom Go 630 or TomTom XL IQ Route2? Reply with quote

Hi guys,

I'm wanting to buy a SatNav but I can't decide between the TomTom Go 630 and the TomTom XL IQ Route 2. There doesn't seem to be much difference between the two from what I can see other than the Go 630 has bluetooth capabilities, but then the XL IQ Route 2 is a more recent model.

I have found the TomTom Go 630 for £159.99 and the TomTom XL IQ Route 2 for £139.99.

What are your opinions on which one is better and why?

Thanks in advance,

Tony
Andy_P
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Apr 13, 2010 3:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I could be wrong, but as far as I know, the Go630 was never released for sale in the UK, so it might be a "grey" import.
People who have bought imported models intended for other regions often report problems with the wrong language and speech recognition files being installed and possibly things like the Latest Map Guarantee not working.

Obviously, you need to decide whether the lack of Bluetooth is important to you, for both hands-free calls and the data stuff like 'Traffic'.

The Go630 has "text to speech" voices (so it can read out town and street names. I believe the XL v2 does, but some XLs do and others don't, so check carefully.

The Go has an SD card slot for easy expansion for other maps, the XL doesn't (or the usual XL doesn't anyway, I haven't seen the precise specs for the "version 2"

The windscreen mounts are also very different.... The Go630 has a simple "push on" sucker,

That is NOT as good at staying on the windscreen as the "twist-lock" sucker for the XL models....

However, the simple way the actual satnav attaches to the mount, with a spring-loaded slot that the square end of the mount slots into, is FAR better on the Go models.
I hate the "ring" arrangement of the XL and One models because the tiny clips don't grip firmly enough and it keeps falling off if I try to adjust the TT while driving. I also can't re-fix it one handed!

There's now an accessory mount for the Go range which uses the twist lock sucker too, so you get the best of both worlds....

But with the XL you are stuck with the "ring" arrangement even if you go for a third-party mount .
Andy_P
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Apr 13, 2010 5:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

HOLD ON!!!!!

I've just realised, I think the 'XL Version 2' is the DUMBED DOWN model based on the "Start" (Simple menus, little POI functionality etc.), just with the bigger screen.

If I'm right..... avoid!!!!
tonymo13
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Apr 13, 2010 8:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Andy_P wrote:
HOLD ON!!!!!

I've just realised, I think the 'XL Version 2' is the DUMBED DOWN model based on the "Start" (Simple menus, little POI functionality etc.), just with the bigger screen.

If I'm right..... avoid!!!!

Thanks for sharing your knowledge, not sure about the Go 630 being a 'grey import' but it seems to have all of the UK maps as well as the European (although not bothered about the European maps).

A number of people have mentioned that the XL IQ Route 2 has 'simplified' menu's, which I didn't like the sound of as the same thing crossed my mind (i.e. simplified meaning dumbed down), but no one has confirmed this until now, i.e. you.

Anyway thank you for your views and knowledge, looks like I'll be getting the TomTom Go 630 then. Do you think its good for £159.99, or is there another one you'd recommend?
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Apr 13, 2010 8:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Have a look at This its a better device and if you don't want the Live services simply don't bother with a subscription, its only got UK&ROI mapping but thats not an issue from your earlier post and its got an expansion slot for a memory card, Bluetooth for handsfree and is equipped with Text To Speech as well as quite a few other "toys" - The mount on the x40/ x50 is about the best they have designed as yet IMHO - Mike
tonymo13
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Apr 13, 2010 9:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mikealder wrote:
Have a look at This its a better device and if you don't want the Live services simply don't bother with a subscription, its only got UK&ROI mapping but thats not an issue from your earlier post and its got an expansion slot for a memory card, Bluetooth for handsfree and is equipped with Text To Speech as well as quite a few other "toys" - The mount on the x40/ x50 is about the best they have designed as yet IMHO - Mike

Ok thanks. Just a query though, doesn't the Go 630 also have an expansion slot for a memory card, bluetooth for handsfree and Text to Speech? If so what makes the Go 540 better?

Also have you bought from the totalpda website before? Just wondering how reliable it is?
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Apr 13, 2010 9:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

tonymo13 wrote:
doesn't the Go 630 also have an expansion slot for a memory card, bluetooth for handsfree and Text to Speech? If so what makes the Go 540 better?

Check the Text To Speech as it states loaded with US English voice, this is different to the UK English and we have seen problems with voices/ voice recognition on other devices that were intended for use in different countries, as the Bluetooth, memory card etc yes the 630 does indeed have these.

The x40 devices have a better mounting system and a better speaker, they are also more likely to get the Navcore 9 update than any of the x30 family as they are a newer device.

Yes I have purchased from Total PDA and they are easy to deal with as well as trust worthy - Mike
tonymo13
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Apr 13, 2010 10:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mikealder wrote:
tonymo13 wrote:
doesn't the Go 630 also have an expansion slot for a memory card, bluetooth for handsfree and Text to Speech? If so what makes the Go 540 better?

Check the Text To Speech as it states loaded with US English voice, this is different to the UK English and we have seen problems with voices/ voice recognition on other devices that were intended for use in different countries, as the Bluetooth, memory card etc yes the 630 does indeed have these.

The x40 devices have a better mounting system and a better speaker, they are also more likely to get the Navcore 9 update than any of the x30 family as they are a newer device.

Yes I have purchased from Total PDA and they are easy to deal with as well as trust worthy - Mike

Thanks for the quick reply as well as your help and useful knowledge Mike. Think I'll look into getting the TomTom Go 540 then.

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: