Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Ok so TTN3 sucks what's the alternative?
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Ok so TTN3 sucks what's the alternative?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Software-Only Products
View previous topic :: View next topic  
iancjc
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Thu May 20, 2004 4:44 pm    Post subject: Ok so TTN3 sucks what's the alternative? Reply with quote

As a long term user (and supporter) of tomtom - So far i've paid for:
Routeplanner
City Maps
TTN1 to TTN2 to :x TTN3 - I now need an up to date gps program that:

1. works reliably
2. has maps that are reasonably upto date (happy to pay for regular updates preferably via download - surely most people have some form of access to ADSL).
3. idealy provides checkpoint like functionality for safety cams.
4. allows me to find the road I'm looking for.
5. originates from a country where smoking a joint in public is illeagal. Stop it!

With the exception of points 2 & 5 the best option I have looks like being tomtom Navigator 2.

Has any longterm tomtom users had access to any other pda satnav apps - and if so any comments.
lbendlin
Pocket GPS Staff
Pocket GPS Staff

PostPosted: Thu May 20, 2004 6:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You want techie stuff or rather care free end user stuff? There are plenty of alternatives out there, but you'll need to let us know your preferences .

Destinator
Navigon
Navman
CoPilot
PocketMap
TeleType
Mapopolis
Socket/Routis/Intellinav
PaPaGO
Route 66

I am sure I missed one or two.

Report Map Errors here:
TomTom/TeleAtlas NAVTEQ
iancjc
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Thu May 20, 2004 7:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ok here goes

1. reliable upto date Uk maps.
2. availability of other countries - Europe not bothered about US
3. works without incident - like ttn 2.24 does.
4. resonably priced - less than £100 for the main uk setup.
5. ease of use whilst in the car - I often don't have the oppotunity to plan where I have to go through the day.
6. simple interface - ie tomtom large icons.
7. must work on a pocket pc - ipaq 2210.
8. must work with haicom bt gps slipper
9. must allow addins like checkpoint.
10. traffic info a bonus at a resonable subsciption (the main reason I have ttn3 installed at the moment is the traffic info which works brilliantly)
11. The ability to enter (say) Saffron Walden (essex) and High Street and get the choice of Saffron Walden High Street rather than 50 other high streets in Essex!
12 not bothered about support but would like resonably priced updates after the initial purchase.

I have been thinking of Mapopolis as a viable alternative......

Cheers

Ian
RichDem
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Thu May 20, 2004 8:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Ian,

I have been a TomTom 2 user since it was released, prior to that I started off with pocket co-pilot, then progressed to Smart ST and then on to TomTom 1. I think I even tried both destinator 1 & 2 at some time as well. I know all of the other products were a little older at the time I was most impressed when I first used TomTom 1.

When version 2 arrived in the post I couldn,t wait to install it and then looked on in disbelief at all the errors. Like for instance not being able to set my address as the home location. To give TomTom their dues they did sort it out and I have been using it reliably every single day since. I have since upgraded to version 3, I know the address look up is rubbish and the so called post code search still leaves alot to be desired. I use the excellent Post Code search and haven't been let down since.

So to sum up yes version 3 does have it's faults but basically it is a reliable product and it gets me to where I want to go every time. Cosidering it costs a fraction of the price of a full blown in car sat nav system I think it does a bloody good job. I know several people who were cosidering in car systems but went for TomTom instead and are very pleased with it.

I would like to try the later versions of all the other products on the market, I bet they are not 100% perfect, but if I did I am pretty sure I know which one I would end up staying with.

This is by the way my own opinion and I know other people reading this may disagree, but if you pardon the pun "I would be lost without TomTom!!!"

Richard
alix776
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Thu May 20, 2004 10:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

as above Thumbs Up

Oh the joys of being a courier.
device Lumia 950 xl
lbendlin
Pocket GPS Staff
Pocket GPS Staff

PostPosted: Thu May 20, 2004 11:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Look at Socket Navigator - gives you pretty much everything except #8 and #9

Report Map Errors here:
TomTom/TeleAtlas NAVTEQ
iancjc
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Fri May 21, 2004 10:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lutz

thanks for the advice - I think I will look at this (hopefully tomtom will address the issues in updates) - unfortunately (and I suppose I should have put these higher up the list) - I don't want to use a different gps unit and the speed camera alert feature is paramount.

Not sure what the camera situation is like in the US but Mr Blair is a massive fan of camera's here (unless they are held by a Daily Mirror hack) and I pass 8 each day commuting and the reminder from checkpoint is very useful (I also use a euro 550 radar detector). As 4 tickets in 3 years gives a ban from driving and the loss of my income anything to remind me of these things is dead handy. I don't tend to speed but since 55 in a 50mph zone will produce a ticket you can't be to careful.

On a recent 500 mile round trip I counted 30 of the bloody things - I think that since most people travel similar journeys over and over the additional feature like traffic and camera alerts is what is driving the gps market forward.

Cheers

Ian
R1chard
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Fri May 21, 2004 1:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree with Lutz, camera alert is a critical service.

Some people assume that if you need to rely on a camera alert system then you must be driving like a maniac and therefore deserve to be caught. But my view is that with speed limits on some roads varying every few minutes it's hard enough to know what speed limit applies as many of the old indicators (e.g. dual carriageway, street lights etc aren't much help these days) but at least if you are alerted to a camera then you can choose well in advance how to approach it rather than go into a bit of a panic when you suddenly see the road markings a few yards in front of you.

Some people even think that it's somehow unfair (and should be illegal) to use an electronic device to detect camera positions but I would argue that if it's truly an issue of safety rather than revenue collection and if the police can use electronic devices to detect my speed then it's not unreasonable that I use an electronic device to detect that I'm being detected. To me it's just an extra pair of eyes which helps me drive more safely.

Richard
Darren
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Fri May 21, 2004 1:50 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If Camera Alerts are a must then that currently narrows down the options to TT or Navigon. Navman have announced that they plan to provide the facility to use custom POIs in a future release but as and when is anyone's guess and even then we will have to await an SDK before developers begin coding plug-ins to run the alert routines.

Personally speaking I hate the Navigon interface, if you come afress to GPS Nav then you may find it OK but compared with TT it's interface is dire in the extreme!

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Software-Only Products All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: