Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Map install Error on XL LIVE IQ - HELP!
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Map install Error on XL LIVE IQ - HELP!
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
rp123
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Oct 26, 2009 3:21 pm    Post subject: Map install Error on XL LIVE IQ - HELP! Reply with quote

Hey guys,

I was hoping someone here could help.

Basically, I bought a tomtom xl live iq a couple of days ago and tried to take advantage of the latest map guarentee. I installed TTH2 and made a backup of my contents, using the backup function in TTH.

I then downloaded the lastest app, and it installed with no issues.

I then tried to download and install the new v.835 european map. The map downloaded, but encountered an error when installing, something to with a cline.dat file?

I tried again a couple of times, and kept getting the same error. I tried restoring my tomtom, but this also resulted in an error! So I had no map on my tomtom!

I tried the method of deleting the downloaded map from my computer, and redownloading it, but it still did not work.

As a last resort, I ran chkdsk and formatted my tomtom. I then connected to TTH and downloaded and installed the latest application and voices etc. I then redownloaded the latest map v835, but STILL encounter the same problem???

Can anyone help, as I have no idea AT ALL how to restore my tomtom to working order!

Thanks,

Rob
Andy_P
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Oct 26, 2009 6:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Firstly, it's too late for you now (and you weren't to know) but we always advise you use Windows Explorer to make your backups of the TomTom, NOT Home.
It's just a matter of copying the entire TomTom's memory and pasting it into a new folder somewhere safe on your PC, and there are full instructions in the FAQs at the top of this forum's index page.

Even though you don't have a working system, it's worth doing it now.

Once you've done that, can you say exactly what you get when you turn the TomTom on now? (after reinstalling the backup). Is it loading the program OK and then saying "No maps found" or is it failing to boot up at all?

For info, cline.dat is on of the three or four large files that actually make up the map itself (it's basically all the "lines" between the "nodes" that are in another .dat file).
If the download is going to get corrupted anywhere it's likely to be one of these large files.

How are you connected to the internet?
If it's a wireless connection, try a wired one instead. Can you install Home on a friends PC, log in there and try a download?

Finally, have a look in the folder where Home made its lousy backup (usually a subfolder of MyDocuments/TomTom/Home/backup) and report the sizes of the four or five largest files. Someone with the same map version may be able to confirm they are correct.
rp123
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Oct 26, 2009 6:53 pm    Post subject: re: Reply with quote

Hi there,

Thanks for you reply.

Just to clarify - I cannot reinstall/restore the backup, about halfway through I get an error saying something about being unable to create a file??

So, I can't use ANY map!

After formatting and installing the latest app through TTH, the tomtom just says no maps found when turned on.

I even tried copying the old backed up v825 map, from the TTH backup location, using windows explorer, but i got the same cline.dat error halfway through.

I am using a normal wired connecion. I will report back with the map file sizes later this evening, when I get home.

It seems strange I have downloaded a the new v 835 map about 5 times, and each time i get the same error. Is it possible that the map tomtom currently have for download is corrupt???

Thanks!
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Oct 26, 2009 6:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Where did you purchase the device from and when, if it was a recent purchase take it back and make the retailer swap it for a working device, remember to register the unit with a different e-mail address to the previous one, it doesn't need to be a current working e-mail account but it does need to be in the e-mail format rp123@blueyonder.co.uk would be fine as far as TomTom are concerned.
When you get the new unit make a full Windows Explorer backup of the device BEFORE you do anything else with the device - Mike
dhn
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Oct 26, 2009 7:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wasn't there a thread here a month or so ago about some users having a problem dowloading a new map with a corrupt cline.dat file and it turned out the isp all were using had a corrupt map file in its cache which it kept resending to the user?

If so, does that relate to this user's problem at all?
Anita
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Oct 26, 2009 7:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

dhn wrote:
Wasn't there a thread here a month or so ago about some users having a problem dowloading a new map with a corrupt cline.dat file and it turned out the isp all were using had a corrupt map file in its cache which it kept resending to the user?

If so, does that relate to this user's problem at all?

I think this might be the thread David's referring to: v825 map failure update.
Samsung Galaxy S21
AndyVaughan
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 26, 2009 9:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What Firewall and AntiVirus software are you using?

Can you disable your AV software and try manually extracting the map using WinRAR without errors?

Also, ensure your TT is plugged directly in to your PC and not via a USB hub, and that power management is disabled on your USB ports.
rp123
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Oct 26, 2009 9:58 pm    Post subject: re: Reply with quote

Thanks for the replies everyone,

I actually rang the store after my last post and, somewhat surprisingly, they agreed to exchange the device for a new one!

So I'm going to try and get the swap tomorrow.

Assuming I manage to get a new device - how can I go about updating the map from v.825 to v.835? From what I've read, it seems like it's impossible to do it!

What are the actual differences between these versions, would I really lose much by sticking with v.825? I've heard some rumours that the v.835 causes the device to lose it HD traffic capability? Has anyone heard similar? It seems the safest thing to do is just to get the new device and leave as is!

Btw - First thing I'll do is make a proper Windows Explorer Backup!
AndyVaughan
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Mon Oct 26, 2009 10:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dead easy to do the update - don't use HOME once the map is downloaded - see my post here for details on how to update the map manually.

You have nothing to lose with the 8.35 map on the XL LIVE - at least M1 J29A appeared on this map release BUT if you are getting a new device tomorrow hang on for a bit before using LMG - the next map is due mid to end November as it will be 3 months since the release of the last one.

If you decide to subscribe to the map update service it is cheaper if you have the latest map to start off with.
rp123
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Oct 27, 2009 11:03 am    Post subject: re: Reply with quote

Thanks mate,

Is this a common problem? It seems slightly ridiculous that you have go through such a lengthy process to update the map!

I briefly read the internet cache thread, I'm with virgin broadband, so don't think that would be the issue, as it seems it only affects 02 users...

Another question - when does the 30 day period commence for the map update, is it 30 days from when the device is first turned on (as with the 3 month live trial) or is from the first time you connect to TTH?

Cheers
AndyVaughan
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Tue Oct 27, 2009 8:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

30 days from first power on is my understanding, but if you have a problem with it you need to prove when the 30 days started, the only evidence you have is your receipt, so I would go with the safe option of 30 days from when you bought it......

The process isn't that lengthy - it looks worse`than it is when you try and write it down.

When you have done it a couple of times it is a doddle!
rp123
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Oct 28, 2009 11:11 am    Post subject: re: Reply with quote

Hey all,

Got my new unit last night! Will make sure to make a Windows Explorer backup first thing this evening (didn't get a chance last night).

Have a question regarding maps.

My unit comes with the v.825 map installed. What are the differences between this and the v.835? Is it just a few minor changes, or anything significant that would be good to have?

Someone mentioned a new map coming out in about a month (v.840?) - does anyone know if there will be anything significant about this?

I'm asking, because if not, I think I'd rather not update the unit at all. I'll just install the latest application and camera databases, and leave it at that.

I will download the lastest map, but won't install it.

Cheers.
Anita
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Oct 28, 2009 11:32 am    Post subject: Re: re: Reply with quote

rp123 wrote:
I will download the lastest map, but won't install it.

When a new map or application is released I always install it to an SD card and run it from there until I'm happy there are no problems

The appropriate map can be selected in "Change preferences", and the device will boot using the app on the card if there's one present. Then if I find I was happier with the old map I can select the original one again, and just remove the card to revert to the old app. If I want the new map and the old app I can just remove the new app from the card, leaving a backup on the computer.

However, Home installed the last map to both the card and the device, even though the card was selected, so it's better to remove the card from the device and use a card reader.
Samsung Galaxy S21
AndyVaughan
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Wed Oct 28, 2009 8:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No SD Card on a XL LIVE Anita, so it is all or nothing!

If you download the latest map you have used your LMG - no second chance with LMG if a newer map is released in the 30 days.

Do the Windows Explorer backup then update everything apart from the map and do another backup.

I would enjoy it as it is for 4 weeks and wait and see if the new map is out by day 29 of your 30 days. If it isn't, update to 8.35.
Anita
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Oct 28, 2009 9:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

AndyVaughan wrote:
No SD Card on a XL LIVE Anita, so it is all or nothing!

Embarassed Sorry, I didn't realise that. To me that's a very good reason for not buying one!
Samsung Galaxy S21

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: