Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Schizophrenic GO720?
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Schizophrenic GO720?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
gareth71
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Jul 18, 2009 9:25 pm    Post subject: Schizophrenic GO720? Reply with quote

So I finally got my 720 back from Scotland - the problem (unit showed a tendency to go into a 'coma' every time I connected it to the PC, and also had apparent battery charging issues) seems to have been solved through the fitting of a replacement motherboard to the device.

Thing is, though, the unit now seems to think it's a 920, not a 720 - not all the time and not in every respect, but when I power it on after a reset it says "Welcome to Tomtom GO920", it reports itself as being a 920 when connecting to a bluetooth phone, and some parts (but not others) of TT Home report it as being a 920. In all other respects, though, it still thinks it's a 720. I'm guessing that someone at the menders flashed it with the wrong firmware or something.

(Oh, and I also seem to have accquired a copy of the Canary Islands map!!)

I'm not really that bothered about this issue (the only knock-on effect seems to be that I can't "Operate my GO" from Home any more) - but is it likely to lead to problems in the future? When I next try to update the software, for example, if the device is reporting that it's one thing and Home is trying to install software on something different?

I asked this question of Tomtom support, and they just tossed me the stock answer to pretty much any question they are asked - back up the unit, erase the contents, reload the software, run ClearFlash, etc. ... I don't want to be going through all this yet again (I did it often enough before, when they tried to help me with the original problem) on a unit that's fundamentally OK and works fully.
Andy_P
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Jul 18, 2009 9:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not sure if this is the reason, ut when new software comes out, there is usually one version for the 520 and 720, and a different version for the 920.
Maybe they put the wrong one on?

If you want to try it, you could delete:
1. any files in Home's "program" folder on the PC (usually C:\Documents and Settings\username\My Documents\TomTom\HOME\Downloads\complete\program)

2. all the loose files on the TomTom (the ones not in any folder - leave all the folders alone!)

Then connect to Home and select "update". It should then re-download and install the right version.

No idea if it will fix the problem, but worth a try?

Obviously, back up everything first.
AndyVaughan
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Sun Jul 19, 2009 10:21 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Or just reject the unit as Previous Repair not Effective. If you cannot operate the unit through HOME straight out of the box after a repair they have messed something up.

At least yours works to some extent - 7 weeks after sending my 920 to Holland for testing and repair I am still waiting for a unit that works. All I am getting at the moment is 'We will update you again in a couple of days'.

Andy
gareth71
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Jul 19, 2009 9:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm really not that bothered about being able to operate the device through Home. I've got a unit now that works perfectly well in all other respects (which is more than it did before), so I'm not going to start cocking about with deleting and reloading software or sending it back to Tomtom again - unless I start to get further issues with the unit, in which case it's still covered by another 10 months' warranty and they'll be getting it straight back!

All I was curious about was whether the fact that the unit is reporting (sometimes) the wrong model ID might cause problems with future s/ware updates. Time will tell, I guess ...
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Jul 20, 2009 6:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gareth, with the device connected to your PC right click the drive letter associated wih the TomTom and select Properties, how much memory is shown by the device - 2GB = 720 or 4GB = 920.

Another trick is to drive for around 15 minutes then put the device where it cannot get a signal fix (Multi-story carpark etc), do you get an indication of EPT where the sat strength is normally shown - EPT is only fitted to the 9xx devices - Mike
gareth71
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Jul 26, 2009 7:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The unit reports 2Gb of internal memory, so from that point of view in hardware terms it's definitely a 720. Oddly, 'operate my GO' is now working again. Not sure why, it definitely wasn't working for a few days when I first got the unit back and I haven't changed anything in the meantime.
gareth71
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Jul 26, 2009 8:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just for the hell of it, some photos ...

A photo of the device itself :

A photo of the same screen on the same device via 'operate my Go' on TTH :

The device connected to the PC, and its info as reported by TTH :

Odd, eh? Confused
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Jul 26, 2009 8:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would ignore it as long as the device is working, if it really means so much then consider contacting TomTom (0845 161 0009) but you might be without the device for a week or two while they sort the issue out - Mike
gareth71
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Jul 26, 2009 9:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That was kinda the point of my original question, really - as long as the unit works (which it now does, after being repaired) I couldn't give a toss. My only concern was that at some point, perhaps when installing a software update or something, the mismatch between actual and reported model numbers would cause problems. I'll wait and see ....
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Jul 26, 2009 11:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

All x20 devices use the same download for updates and have done for quite a while so I wouldn't worry too much about that, the x30 range have the odd device specific Navcore for the 630 and x40 range has a device specific version for the 940 but you will be fine with a schizo 720 - Mike
Andy_P
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Aug 05, 2009 3:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Andy_P wrote:
...when new software comes out, there is usually one version for the 520 and 720, and a different version for the 920.
Maybe they put the wrong one on?

mikealder wrote:
All x20 devices use the same download for updates and have done for quite a while

You're right Mike, I've got so used to seeing the different versions got the x40 models, I'd forgotten the x20s are usually the same these days.

Makes it all the more intriguing how Gareth's machine has got confused then!
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Aug 05, 2009 4:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Probably loaded with the wrong firmware like that unit we heard about the other month with a test program installed to it - Not alot you can do with it, either use it or send it back for further rectification - Mike

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: