Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - XL root directory problem
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

XL root directory problem

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
bwg
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Jul 18, 2009 12:40 pm    Post subject: XL root directory problem Reply with quote

XL IQ routes. Puling my hair out over this one. Only reason I found out is I have a different exit screen than the Tomtom (have named original antitheft screen ‘oldantitheftw.bmp’ and replaced with my own screen and named ‘antitheftw.bmp’)

Anyway connected to Home yesterday and in the updates was a new application for the XL which I installed. However it installed the original antitheft picture ie ‘antitheftw.bmp’ but left me with the original which I had renamed ‘oldantitheftw.bmp’. No problem I thought I’ll just delete the new ‘antitheftw.bmp’and drop in my replacement .bmp. I deleted ok, however when I tried to paste new .bmp I got a Windows message ‘the file or directory is corrupted and unreadable’.
Now the file is ok and it will paste into a folder in the Tomtom, just not into the root directory (I tried to cut .bmp from this folder into root but got same error message). I tried a simple text file from my PC, again with the same results, it will not paste into the Tomtom root directory but is happy to paste elsewhere in the Tomtom. I tried to copy the splash screen in the Tomtom root directory back to the root directory and it comes up the same error message? I even tried on another PC with same results.
After a good number of try’s on two occasions files did transfer into the root - the text file which I then deleted and my .bmp. I tried to rename the .bmp to read antitheftw.bmp but I only got as far as typing ‘antitheft.b’ and it would take no more letters, I gave up and deleted. Whether as a consequence I have two files in the root both showing empty, one is faded with small boxes where the name should be and the other has no identification name, both will not delete.
I have Windows backups before and after the Home update so unless you can suggest something I will try the ‘before update’ but to get rid of the two odd files I think I will have to format? I will wait until I get some advice from you good people before trying anything. Apart from the above problems the device seems to function ok.
dhn
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Jul 18, 2009 1:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You may want to try a free utility, Unlocker, found here:
http://www.filehippo.com/download_unlocker/

to delete the corrupt files.
Andy_P
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Jul 18, 2009 8:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The new XL seems to be getting a reputation for corrupting the directory structure.

Although the device usually still works fine, the only way to fully sort it (unless the interesting solution above works) is to re-format the memory and restore a previous backup.

So make absolutely sure you make full Windows backups and check them to see there are no corrupted files or strange characters in any filenames.
bwg
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Jul 20, 2009 6:17 pm    Post subject: Thanks Reply with quote

Thanks guys. Can't delete files with unlocker so will format and re-install

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: