Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
SurfShark Antivirus
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - I'm selling my TomTom 720
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

I'm selling my TomTom 720

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
womble08
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat May 23, 2009 5:32 am    Post subject: I'm selling my TomTom 720 Reply with quote

After having given my recently acquired TomTom 720 a reasonable testing – and I like it very much – there are a couple of things that annoy me, but they are important things.

So, I will return to my Garmin!

Yesterday, I put in my details for a journey home – there are two routes – one of which I normally use. It came with the other one, so I requested an alternative – and was immediately presented with the route I wanted - impressive! Whilst on this journey, I realised that a convoy of two caravans (towed by huge 4x4s) plus a lorry, would be in front of me for almost ten miles on a “slow” road. So I changed route. The Garmin announces: “Recalculating” and gets on with it; the TomTom made seven attempts to get me back onto the original route. It finally gave that up and carried on with the correct directions. If Garmin can do it promptly, why can’t TomTom?

As you’re nearing to the current speed limit, the Garmin emits a loud, regular “ding” to warn you, and a “label” (black) appears in the top third of the screen – if you exceed the speed limit the “label” turns red. The only things the TomTom managed to do was to a) emit a warning sound after the speed limit had been exceeded, and b) the small speed indicator turned red at the same time.

I found these things annoying and wouldn’t be happy going on a long journey knowing of those two issues. I will give it further trials over this weekend before making a final decision.
Anita
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sat May 23, 2009 7:36 am    Post subject: Re: I'm selling my TomTom 720 Reply with quote

womble08 wrote:
As you’re nearing to the current speed limit, the Garmin emits a loud, regular “ding” to warn you

That would drive me mad! Why tell you when you're within the speed limit? I only need to be alerted if I exceed the limit so I can drop my speed slightly to get within it again.

Quote:
The only things the TomTom managed to do was to a) emit a warning sound after the speed limit had been exceeded, and b) the small speed indicator turned red at the same time.

Exactly what I want it to do!

At least we're each able to buy a device that handles the speed limit the way we want it to! Cool
Samsung Galaxy S21
Sean16v
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat May 23, 2009 2:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
As you’re nearing to the current speed limit, the Garmin emits a loud, regular “ding” to warn you, and a “label” (black) appears in the top third of the screen

Why would you want that, my speedo tells me that without an annoying ding sound.

Quote:
The only things the TomTom managed to do was to a) emit a warning sound after the speed limit had been exceeded, and b) the small speed indicator turned red at the same time.

Before satnav came along we use to look at what speed we were doing, to many people are relying far to much on there satnav to warn them whether they are driving to slow/fast god knows what some of you would do if your satnav went dead on you whilst out driving.
andy-c1
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Sat May 23, 2009 5:18 pm    Post subject: Re: I'm selling my TomTom 720 Reply with quote

Anita wrote:
womble08 wrote:
As you’re nearing to the current speed limit, the Garmin emits a loud, regular “ding” to warn you

That would drive me mad! Why tell you when you're within the speed limit? I only need to be alerted if I exceed the limit so I can drop my speed slightly to get within it again.

Quote:

Exactly what I want it to do!

At least we're each able to buy a device that handles the speed limit the way we want it to! Cool

AGREED ,by the sounds of it I much prefer tomtom
andy-c1
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Sat May 23, 2009 5:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

[quote="Sean16v"]
Quote:

Before satnav came along we use to look at what speed we were doing, to many people are relying far to much on there satnav to warn them whether they are driving to slow/fast god knows what some of you would do if your satnav went dead on you whilst out driving.

dunno if it happened to me ,I suppose i would have to pull over and walk Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing
to true though ,you just have to hear some of the stupid things some people do with sat navs
womble08
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat May 23, 2009 6:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm buying a donkey instead - at least I won't have a speedo to watch.
Sean16v
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat May 23, 2009 7:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
I'm buying a donkey instead - at least I won't have a speedo to watch

You'll make as ass of yourself Laughing Laughing Laughing
TomDavison
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Sun May 24, 2009 12:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Call it Hoetee
mrfreeze
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Mon May 25, 2009 4:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

TomDavison wrote:
Call it Hoetee

No call it GP Ass
Kate v710 UK & ROI v850.2781
Kar98
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Mon May 25, 2009 5:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sean16v wrote:
god knows what some of you would do if your satnav went dead on you whilst out driving.

If my TTOne would go tits-up while driving, I would have to pull out my phone and use TT7 on there ;)

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: