Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Problem on 765t...my fault...
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Problem on 765t...my fault...

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Garmin Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
JEFFORD8
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Apr 17, 2009 3:09 pm    Post subject: Problem on 765t...my fault... Reply with quote

Hi i got this item the other day and touch wood ive had no problems with this unit so far....until i thought id load some POI on and found this program that said could edit .gpi files. That didn't work but then tried opening the GARMIN/POI file in notepad... Embarassed i know bit silly, now its turned all .gpi files into notepad format which is where i think i have messed up as i now get the message of "cannot unlock data filegarmin/poi/poi.gpi" eerytime the unit starts up.
Is it because the file format has changed? Can anyone help on sorting this out? Many Thanks in advance
Craig
PaulB2005
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Apr 17, 2009 3:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi and welcome.

You may have damaged the file. Personally i would just delete the garmin/poi/POI.GPI file (or to be safe MOVE it to the PC) and start the unit up again. Only delete that file - no others. That should sort that problem out and then reload the POIs again.

If you want to edit the POI.GPI file the best way is to copy the file to the PC then edit it there and copy it back.
PaulB2005
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Apr 17, 2009 3:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

By the way if by "its turned all .GPI files into notepad format " you mean they all show the blue notepad icon then you probably haven't.

I suspect when you opened the file with Notepad you inadvertently changed the default program for opening GPI files to Notepad so YOUR PC thinks they should all be opened in Notepad. Hence they are all shown with a blue Notepad symbol.

Hopefully you've only damaged the POI.GPI file which can be safely deleted.
JEFFORD8
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Apr 17, 2009 4:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi PaulB2005 and thanks for the welcome and the help. I just dragged the poi file to the desktop (so it copied it) then just deleted out of the garmin file, fired it up and the error message has gone so that is all all solved and all the poi are still on there so not too sure what that file was all about!?
When you say about editing that file, do you need a program to run the editting on? Because when i try to open the file dragged onto desktop it'ds just blank. When i first opened it from garmin file using notepad, it had all the poi listed but all jumbled up and loads of misplaced text and symbols?
Is it possible just to open the orignal POI and add for instance a KFC that has not been added yet?
Thanks
PaulB2005
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Apr 17, 2009 5:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Excellent.

OK there are 2 sets of POIs you can have on your Garmin. The first set are the ones that ship with the device which you can't delete or edit as they are part of the map data. You can also add your own Custom POIs as you already know which are stored in the POI.GPI file you deleted. I suspect you corrupted it when you tried to open the file.

Whilst you can edit the POI.GPI file it's much easier to make a set of CSV files like as the ones you can download from the PGPSW website here and edit those. Then upload the files with all your other POIs with POILoader. Much safer and easier. POILoader overwrite the old POI.GPI with the new one each time you load new data.

The POI files from PGPSW will, in many cases, be more up to date and accurate than those in the Garmin Map data. In some cases they may be lacking but as it is a community project the idea is to submit any missing POIs or corrections to PGPSW and they'll be added to the files within a few days.

Before you do anything else can i urge you to take an hour to backup the contents of the Nuvi to your hard drive, just in case something more serious happens? Make a folder on your PC and copy and paste the Nuvi drive contents to it. It'll take time due to Garmins use of USB 1.1 Crying or Very sad
BigPerk
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Apr 17, 2009 6:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can't remember if there are any hidden/system files in the Garmin folders, but if there are, MAKE SURE you back them up as well Exclamation Exclamation
JEFFORD8
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Apr 17, 2009 8:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for all the help! Ive backed it all up, and downloaded PGPSW POI and put those on, ill stick with things on this site for now on Exclamation Exclamation
Thanks again!

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Garmin Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: