Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Antenna socket - New TT models
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Antenna socket - New TT models

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
simmonsn
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Apr 13, 2009 7:52 pm    Post subject: Antenna socket - New TT models Reply with quote

Hi all

I've been using my aging TT XL with an external antenna because the heat reflecting glass in my car (Citroen C5) means I cannot get a fix without.

I'm considering upgrading to a newer model, but can't seem to find any details of an antenna socket being available. Have TT found a way around the problem such that the antenna isn't necessary, or have they missed out on a chunk of the market?

Is any model suitable?

TIA

Nigel
PaulB2005
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Apr 13, 2009 7:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi and welcome.

There isn't a socket because the newer models have a highly sensitive receiver that doesn't need an antenna even behind Anthermic Glass.
Darren
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Apr 13, 2009 9:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

And your XL also has this later receiver, it should work perfectly without need of an external antenna?
chas921
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Apr 16, 2009 3:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

simmonsn

Some modern cars are fitted with a special windscreen that cuts down the amount of UV (Ultra Violet) Heat rays that will be transferred through the windscreen which help cut down on glare and keep the car cooler when parked. These windscreens are called Athermic, or UV Coated and could dampen or reduce GPS signals coming through the windscreen, so if you have an Athermic windscreen, it means you may not receive the same quality of signal as you would do by taking the GPS outside of the car, of which your already aware, but it helps for others who will read this thread

As stated, the electronics within the newer devices are able to get the signal and work with it, but if your like me and still want the use of an external aerial then maybe the TT Go 520 (cheap now) may be off interest to you?

The end of line (newer models available)TT Go 520 Music edition has MCX socket and probably available for about £120-£130 (With full update - which Tomtom guarantees, you'll end up with something not to dissimilar to the TT Go 530) and their still selling for £240+

I used an external mag aerial on my iCN610 and got faster lock on, plus I thought my `Quick-Clear` screen with all those elements installed in the glass would affect the signal, but it did'nt, I still bought the Magnetic MCX Aerial. Also with older technology, and possibly with the new, its ALWAYS best to be stationary to get a good initial fix position. (The Navman was like that: but stationary, I got the lock much quicker)

My M-MCX aerial has a 5 Metre cable on it and is sufficient to leave the aerial permanently fixed to the rear of the roof line, and when away on trips i just remove it to the inside of the rear hatch(out of site when parked)

So I'm overall well impressed with my Go 520 and still retain the MCX aerial

Take care, keep your eyes on the road, not the navigator?

chas

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: