Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - GPS on HTC Specific Newbie Questions
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

GPS on HTC Specific Newbie Questions

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Beginners GPS Lounge
View previous topic :: View next topic  
dougcouch
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Mar 20, 2009 10:44 pm    Post subject: GPS on HTC Specific Newbie Questions Reply with quote

Perhaps it is just me, but I find myself going from site to site, forum to forum, post to post, referred link to referred link...and yet the most basic questions remain either unanswered or vaguely referenced. I guess I'm expected to have spent 6 months researching...dunno. Direct specific answers would be appreciated...not references to links where something was discussed.

htc 8525 tilt from ATT with built-in GPS, 4GB card, Internet blocked (and thus Telenav unavailable), home network Wifi available for downloads

1. Can this phone, without additional hardware, without Internet access, be used for GPS? (several posts indicate a "yes" here?)

2. Assuming "yes" above, what is the best (or are the three best) GPS software (best overall features) to install which work with that phone (on Windows Mobile 6) with the easiest install and setup, and least hassle? Cost for each (typical)?

3. Assuming "yes" on 1, and info re 2 above, are paid GPS tracking services required for these, or does the purchase of the software make GPS available on an ongoing (endless) basis? If paid service is required, cost?

4. Not sure how the mapping download subject relates to the above. I do get the idea that periodic map downloads are necessary for updated mapping. I am getting the impression that at least some software automatically downloads updates after the initial map download. True? In some posts, I read about Googlemaps, etc., as a free download, and on others about a cost involved...could someone clear up where that fits in (whether from Googlemaps or other)?

5. Assuming I can use GPS on my 8525, and can install an appropriate GPS software (with or without a paid service), and am able to download maps and have them updated... QuickGPS appears to be a separate installation, sometimes recommended to be installed before GPS software, for quicker satellite acquisition. Do you recommend this? Cost?

6. On the subject of constant availability of GPS tracking, I read many comments, but nothing making a clear statement. I'm sure such comments are there, but I'm 62 and was hoping to use my GPS during this lifetime. Laughing Out Loud and I'm a little slow on the uptake these days. My son took me out in the booniest of boonies (Cadiz, CA, Marble Mtns area) and with his handheld GPS device had absolute reception and tracking at all times, no matter how remote the area. Can my 8525 with software and no Internet perform in this manner (assuming it is working correctly, etc.)?

Once these issues are more clear to me, I hope to download, install, pay as needed (assuming much much less than the ATT $40 Internet + $10 Telenav I was paying per month originally), and get some use out of this cool phone I know so little about. Hey...I'm a little thick sometimes, but I did finally figure out it picks up hot-spots and my network, and was able to use logmein.com's remote access to access my home computer from 50-60 miles away to email some files to a friend. So I do get there and try not to waste good solid answers. I just don't do well with dashing from page to link to reference and sorting out tons of comments anymore...so some single-post, point-by-point answers to the above would be much appreciated. I don't mind paying for what I get, but don't want to accept the answers I get from the ATT store in order to get those things. Yes, I finally figured out that they saw me coming.

Thanks

Edit to remove e-mail address - Mike Alder
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Mar 20, 2009 11:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Welcome to the forum, the phone you have doesn't have built in GPS AFAIK so the only option you have is to use a Bluetooth GPS receiver with the device - Mike
dougcouch
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Mar 20, 2009 11:32 pm    Post subject: oops...not 8525...is 8925 Reply with quote

Sorry....the phone doesn't have any label telling what it is, and my memory came up with 8525. So, after your response, I called ATT and verified the model as 8925, rather than what I posted. I'll have to write and save myself a note on the phone...

thanks, Doug
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Mar 21, 2009 10:43 am    Post subject: Re: GPS on HTC Specific Newbie Questions Reply with quote

dougcouch wrote:
1. Can this phone, without additional hardware, without Internet access, be used for GPS? (several posts indicate a "yes" here?)

Now we know its a Tytn-II it does have integral GPS and will work fine with many navigation packages once installed.

dougcouch wrote:
2. Assuming "yes" above, what is the best (or are the three best) GPS software (best overall features) to install which work with that phone (on Windows Mobile 6) with the easiest install and setup, and least hassle? Cost for each (typical)?

As you don't have a data connection this does reduce the applications available to you, but take a look at:

McGuider
I-Go
Route 66
Navigon (free 30 day trial available)
Note. I am not too sure what the USA coverage of these applications is, they are all OK for European use, I only add this as later in your post you mention CA?

dougcouch wrote:
3. Assuming "yes" on 1, and info re 2 above, are paid GPS tracking services required for these, or does the purchase of the software make GPS available on an ongoing (endless) basis? If paid service is required, cost?

If you purchase an application and have the map installed to the device, there will be no further charges to use the package, the GPS data is free and there won't be any data traffic over the network.

dougcouch wrote:
4. Not sure how the mapping download subject relates to the above. I do get the idea that periodic map downloads are necessary for updated mapping. I am getting the impression that at least some software automatically downloads updates after the initial map download. True? In some posts, I read about Googlemaps, etc., as a free download, and on others about a cost involved...could someone clear up where that fits in (whether from Googlemaps or other)?

Again, if the map is stored on the device there is nothing to download, if an updated map is released you can download them via you home computers internet connection, before installing the new map to the device. New maps are generally charged for and are not a free part of any software, but they don't get released too often.

dougcouch wrote:
5. Assuming I can use GPS on my 8525, and can install an appropriate GPS software (with or without a paid service), and am able to download maps and have them updated... QuickGPS appears to be a separate installation, sometimes recommended to be installed before GPS software, for quicker satellite acquisition. Do you recommend this? Cost?

Its a waste of time, you don't need to use qGPS as the device will update the databases itself in use from the signals it receives from the GPS sats. As long as you use the GPS part of your phone on a regular basis there is no benefit in downloading the qGPS data.

dougcouch wrote:
6. On the subject of constant availability of GPS tracking, I read many comments, but nothing making a clear statement. I'm sure such comments are there, but I'm 62 and was hoping to use my GPS during this lifetime. Laughing Out Loud and I'm a little slow on the uptake these days. My son took me out in the booniest of boonies (Cadiz, CA, Marble Mtns area) and with his handheld GPS device had absolute reception and tracking at all times, no matter how remote the area. Can my 8525 with software and no Internet perform in this manner (assuming it is working correctly, etc.)?

Given a clear view of the sky and map coverage for the location you are using the device it will work fine, often remote areas offer better reception for the GPS signal than built up city centers - Mike
dougcouch
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Mar 22, 2009 3:47 am    Post subject: Thanks...will give a try Reply with quote

Thanks for your patience and information, Mike. Yes, I am in California; however one of the applications being named Route 66 (which is an older famed route designation going from coast to coast in the USA), I imagine it's not a problem. The desert area I mentioned (Cadiz, etc.) is in sight of the old Route 66 highway.
M8TJT
The Other Tired Old Man
The Other Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Sun Mar 22, 2009 9:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Doug.
I'm just a lurker, but suggest that you edit your opening post and remove your email address. It's an open invitation to spam. Crying or Very sad If you want to leave it in, disguise it by using 'at' instead of @, or by including something like 'RemoveThis' in the bit after the @. Very Happy
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Mar 22, 2009 9:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Doug, the following link is more USA specific:

Route 66
ZorroGPS

The only problem with Route 66 is the lack of support for third party POI files such as speed camera database and other location based files. I have used the version 8 software on one of my HTC units and whilst it works I don't use it by choice. The version 8 software is a step in the wrong direction, version 7 was a cracking application IMHO the lack of POI support by any modern GPS software is a major omission.

The other application I have linked to is a new application which is available for free trial, you download the application and USA map via your PC, install to the device and use it for 48 hours, if you like it you can purchase it for $30 o see what the software looks like in use there are a few screen captures of it in use Here
If the "Free Download" button doesn't work, try again later on, the UK map did this with me for a few days until I got through yesterday morning, at least with a free trial you can see if the software is any good and whether it works on your hardware before purchase, its running on my HTC Touch Cruise, so should be fine on the Tytn-II - Mike

Last edited by mikealder on Sun Mar 22, 2009 10:12 am; edited 2 times in total
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Mar 22, 2009 9:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

M8TJT wrote:
Doug.
I'm just a lurker, but suggest that you edit your opening post and remove your email address. It's an open invitation to spam. Crying or Very sad
Well spotted - I missed that bit Embarassed - still its gone now - Mike
dougcouch
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Mar 23, 2009 9:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks guys...

Doug

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Beginners GPS Lounge All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: