Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - TomTom Navigator 5 not saving preferences
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

TomTom Navigator 5 not saving preferences

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Software-Only Products
View previous topic :: View next topic  
colin_thames
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Jan 05, 2009 6:08 pm    Post subject: TomTom Navigator 5 not saving preferences Reply with quote

Not sure if this is a fault or a feature.

I've got an HTC P3300 which comes with TomTom 5 pre-installed but it also has Cordic software (a taxi location and job management software) installed on top, preventing access to Windows Mobile.

TomTom has certain options greyed out and it won't save any preferences each time I turn off the PDA - unfortunately standby has been disabled also.

Is there a preference file in TomTom 5 that I could get hold of or some other solution?

Thanks, in hope

Colin
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Jan 05, 2009 7:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Take the memory card out or connect the device to the PC and locate the Map Folder "Great_Britain" or similar, open this and find the file MapSettings.cfg" copy this to your PC.
With the file on the PC right click it and select "Properties" untick the "ReadOnly" checkbox.
Copy the file back to the map folder on the memory card.

Are you sure its got TTN5 installed though? - The HTC Artemis was shipped with version 6 pre-installed to the devices ROM (6,020 at launch IIRC) - Mike
colin_thames
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Jan 05, 2009 8:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for a truly rapid response. Gosh you know your stuff Mike. You're quite right it's version 6. The MapSettings.cfg file wasn't read only, however. When I checked the properties on the card for the file it came up as Archive, but not when I copied it to my PC.

I've unchecked Archive will try it out until tomorrow (when I next log on) and will report back.

As you clearly know far more about this then I dreamed of, any idea why or how some options (like setting home address) are greyed out?

Cheers

Colin
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Jan 05, 2009 8:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well it does help that I purchased a HTC Artemis when they first came out so thats how I knew what software version it had on it!

My unit has a flat battery at the moment and isn't currently running TTN6 software but once its charged up I will re-install it and see if I can shed any light on the greyed out menu options. One other thought is the entire Map folder has been set to Read Only, or something has been done to the Artemis to prevent the device from writing to the memory card.

Can you start the TTN application then tap the sat strength meter (lower right corner of the screen) followed by the "Version" box, then let me know what is the version of software on the device and what is the map name/ version. This way I might be able to install the same on my device - Mike
colin_thames
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Jan 05, 2009 10:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks very much for your support Mike
I'll take a look tomorrow. I fear that Cordic may have preventing writing to the card as they have also prevented access to Windows.

I can understand why they don't want users fiddling about with the settings but every time I start the device I have to stop TomTom tips and turn off the sound. And I can't set any favourites or my home address.

We'll see what differences setting the .cfg file away from Archive might do.

As a matter of interest what are you running instead of TTN6?

Cheers

Colin
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Jan 05, 2009 10:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It might be possible to reverse whatever setting has been done to lock the phone preventing access to the Windows Mobile, but your employer might not be too happy! as the Cordic software does look like a fully locked down device, flashing the unit with a different ROM would remove the access locks but also remove their software!

As for what I am currently using on the Artemis, it has a free 30 day trial of Navigon 7 installed, I also have the McGuider package installed, although the Artemis doesn't go out too often these days as I have had a number of different devices since purchasing it, HTC Athena, HTC Touch Cruise and an MWg Zinc-II
As far as I am concerned the Arte is still probably the best all round device though, excellent battery life, decent GPS performance in a very slim package - Mike
colin_thames
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Jan 29, 2009 9:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Mike for all your help. Unfortunately unlocking that file didn't work and the settings remain as they are. I can set my home location but next time it boots up it hasn't been saved.

Ah well, c'est la vie.

I just power up my new TomTom 720, but that's another story...

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Software-Only Products All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: