Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Recent Garmin Announcements
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Recent Garmin Announcements

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Garmin Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
gatorguy6996
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Jan 21, 2009 11:14 pm    Post subject: Recent Garmin Announcements Reply with quote

I thought it might be helpful to give a run-down of Garmin devices and feature updates announced in the past 2 weeks, all in one place. There's a lot of changes.

The biggest news for most Garmin users is nuMaps Lifetime Maps Subscription - Announced concurrently with Garmin's plans for quarterly map updates, this is the latest addition to their nu-Maps program. For $119 and change for NA maps, $139 for European or $150 for a combination of both (all prices in US $), you can purchase a lifetime map subscription giving you all future quarterly map updates at no additional charge. Of course there's always a catch. Lifetime maps is for the life of the specific device and cannot be transferred or shared with a new Garmin PND. Applies to any of the Garmin's originally shipped with City Navigator NT map sets. This is in addition to Garmins previously announced 60-day latest map guarantee program for new devices.

EcoRoute - Included with the new 8x5's and to be made available to nuvi 2x5 and 7x5 owners as a free update. Adds an additional "fuel-saving" route option, as well as various tools to identify and track your fuel usage by the trip or over time. Stats can then be exported to an Excel spreadsheet, a boon for business users needing to track their milage. Released via a firmware update yesterday.

BaseCamp - Lets handheld/outdoor users view both 24K and 100K topo maps in 2D or 3D view from the comfort of your computer. The software offers map rotation, elevation profile, track drawing with immediate elevation profile, geotagging, and geocaching, making transfers between your device and computer a whole lot easier. Google Earth export is a bonus.

nuvi 855 - Voice-activated navigator with lane assist, speech recognition and compatibility with either standard FM traffic or MSNDirect.

nuvi 885T- Includes all 855 features plus included MSNDirect and Bluetooth.

zūmo 660 - Bringing Lane Assist to Garmin's motorcycle-friendly PND's. Waterproof and compatible with bluetooth headsets, the new zumo also adds 3D building view and photo navigation from the nuvi line.

Approach G5 - GPS-enabled touchscreen handheld specifically for golfers. Waterproof with pre-loaded U.S. (only) golf courses, touch-targeting, manual pin positioning, course preview and digital scorecard.

eTrex Legend H and eTrex Vista H - New entry-level handhelds with a USB interface, 24 megs memory, North and South America basemaps on a 2.4 inch greyscale screen. The Vista adds a barometric altimeter and electronic compass.

MSN3 features update - Available via additional updates from Garmin WebUpdater, MSN has added remote send from Google Maps and Mapquest, Dopplar weather maps and airline flight status to the MSNDirect services. Available for free download for nuvi 2x5's and 7x5's with the appropriate MSN cable. Other MSN users will only get the enhanced data speed download improvements offered by the firmware.
gatorguy6996
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Jan 23, 2009 2:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The North American quarterly update is now available. Named 2009.1, it's based on qtr3 Navteq according to Garmin. Next release scheduled for about April 20th. For those who bought a nuvi with NA maps in the past 60 days, this update is free. Haven't seen notice of the matching EU update yet, but I'll post it as soon as I see mention.
BAVC10
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Fri Jan 23, 2009 7:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

European quarterly update is out on DVD or download priced £59.99.

I got it free via the NuMaps guarantee - not noticed any differences yet but the map info now states 2009.1
gatorguy6996
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Jan 23, 2009 10:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Bacv10. For which nuvi did you buy the update? Do you recall the size of the file? There's some differences in what's included in the update I think.
xtraseller
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Jan 23, 2009 11:26 pm    Post subject: Map Update Reply with quote

Only just got my free upgrade to Europe 2009 but it was missing a few new local road changes, so decided to go for the £99 Maps for Life (of the unit) deal - the 2009.11 it gives you from yesterday does include map changes compared to Europe 2009 previously available (before 21st Jan 09) - takes around an hour to download etc. - but also gives anyone with just UK & Ireland the whole of their European coverage, so quite a good deal
Feek
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 26, 2009 9:50 pm    Post subject: Re: Recent Garmin Announcements Reply with quote

gatorguy6996 wrote:
This is in addition to Garmins previously announced 60-day latest map guarantee program for new devices.

Frustratingly I bought my 765T and first used it less than 60 days ago, there's a map update and the web site is trying to charge me for it Sad
BAVC10
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 26, 2009 10:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Feek

I've had the same issue as you with Garmin trying to charge me £59.99 for the quarterly disk.

I rang the Garmin helpdesk and they confirmed that if I sent a copy of my receipt in as proof of purchase they would reset the MyGarmin account to give me the free update
Feek
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 26, 2009 11:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm planning on phoning them tomorrow but I bought from eBay and am not sure I kept the receipt

*checks box*

Yes, luckily I did Smile

I thought they did this by checking the date it first got a satellite lock, not by receipts. I guess I'll find out tomorrow.
gatorguy6996
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Jan 26, 2009 11:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's been reported by a few users that if you register your nuvi before getting a sat lock for the first time, then Garmin of course never sees a first use date. Call or email them and it will be taken care of. Several owners have found the same problem and Garmin has taken care of them all so far.
Feek
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Thu Jan 29, 2009 4:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That's what they said when I called them. It's rather odd because I only registered the unit a week ago and I got it in December!

Anyway, I emailed my receipt and they authorised the download, it's running now.
MichaelCahill
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Jan 30, 2009 11:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

This question may have been answered and I did not realise but....Confused Embarassed

I have A Nuvi 760 with CityNavigator Europe NT 2008. If I buy a NuMaps subscription do I get the 2009 version and ongoing updates, OR, do I have to buy the 2009 update first and then subscribe to NuMaps and get updates as they are issued?

Naturally, I hope it is the former as it would seem good value, Smile but maybe I am hoping for too much.
gatorguy6996
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Jan 31, 2009 12:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

No need to buy 2009 first. You can start your subscription with 2009.1x. the new release.
MichaelCahill
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Jan 31, 2009 1:25 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks, I shall start saving for the NuMaps subscription. Cool

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Garmin Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: