Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Changing device code after upgrading
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Changing device code after upgrading

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
TonyD
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Jan 26, 2009 10:29 am    Post subject: Changing device code after upgrading Reply with quote

I have just upgraded from a TT740 to a 940 after 2 weeks - I regretted not going for the 940 in the first place so I sent back my 740 to Amazon.
However, when I connect my new 940 to TT Home and try to update my account it tells my I cannot change my device code, it can only be changed once every 6 months and to ring Customer Support. The latter fills me with dread, so before I do can someone please explain what I am meant to do
Darren
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Jan 26, 2009 10:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The best and simplest advice is to register the 940 with a new account.
classy56
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Jan 26, 2009 10:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Using a different E-Mail address from your current account Wink

To old to die young.
TonyD
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Jan 26, 2009 10:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

classy56 wrote:
Using a different E-Mail address from your current account Wink

And how do I work out what my current account is ? I can't just assume it's the email address TomTom email me on since they email me on 2 different addresses currently.
Darren
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Jan 26, 2009 10:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

You can see the email address in HOME at top right?
matthewj
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Jan 26, 2009 11:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I don't think this is anything to worry about. Just contact support (phone is fine) and tell them what happened. They will have the account reset within a day and it will all work.
TonyD
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Jan 26, 2009 11:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Darren wrote:
You can see the email address in HOME at top right?

Thanks, I wasn't logged in when I asked the question Smile

However, I think I'll take Matthew's advice and try Customer Services, I hate proliferating multiple identities with one organisation, just leads to confusion downstream.
TonyD
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Jan 26, 2009 1:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

For those who are interested I have just come off the phone from Customer Support. The process is that I need to prove I bought the second device after the first one. However, a machine readable receipt is sufficient and they are just sending me an email with instructions on what to do with it. So far, not too painful.
Andy_P
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Jan 26, 2009 3:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

TonyD wrote:
I hate proliferating multiple identities with one organisation, just leads to confusion downstream.

I know how you feel...

However, if you end up with more than one TomTom device (eg someone else in the family bought one and asked you to update it) you MUST use a separate email address for it, otherwise all sorts of confusion will arise, especially for paid-for services and new maps.

The reason we said the "easiest" way was to start again with a new account, is that in the past TT customer services used to regularly mess up the transfer you are attempting.

Hopefully they have got better at it now, but when I tried it a year or two ago, the first two "experts" told me it wasn't possible at all, and eventually I had to FAX the receipt to them (to a Dutch Fax machine), because they wouldn't accept incoming e-mails at that time! Rolling Eyes
TonyD
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Jan 26, 2009 4:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Andy_P wrote:
TonyD wrote:
I hate proliferating multiple identities with one organisation, just leads to confusion downstream.

I know how you feel...

However, if you end up with more than one TomTom device (eg someone else in the family bought one and asked you to update it) you MUST use a separate email address for it, otherwise all sorts of confusion will arise, especially for paid-for services and new maps.

:

I just realised, I still have my old 910 kicking around, not decided what to do with it yet, but it's over 2 years old so I don't suppose there are any paid for services relevant. If I give it to a family member I'll get them to set up a new account.
Andy_P
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Jan 26, 2009 4:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

TonyD wrote:
Andy_P wrote:
TonyD wrote:

I know how you feel...

:

I just realised, I still have my old 910 kicking around, not decided what to do with it yet, but it's over 2 years old so I don't suppose there are any paid for services relevant. If I give it to a family member I'll get them to set up a new account.

That's exactly the sort of thing that can mess it all up. If that device was also linked to that same email address, you've been very lucky!

In my case (swapping a Go300 for a Go720), TT got it right (eventually) for the paid-for services; but even now, two years later, Home still offers me the v6 GB map for the Go300 every time I log in with the 720.
TonyD
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Jan 26, 2009 4:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My latest response from TT is "We have escalated your case to reset the device code on your account. Please note that it can take a few working days for approval". I am hoping this will really be 24hrs or less.
TonyD
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Jan 27, 2009 1:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My device change was approved earlier today and am now up and running, so on the whole pretty pleased with TomTom's response.

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: