Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
SurfShark VPN
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - TomTom repair costs
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

TomTom repair costs

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
mickrichardson535
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 26, 2009 3:33 pm    Post subject: TomTom repair costs Reply with quote

Hi folks.

I have been trying to work with TT Tech Support - it's like pulling teeth!

Eventually, they have decided to stop helping and issue me a 'return to base' service repair request.

My device is out of warranty.

The problem is that the RDS TMC feature does not function.
After various instructions to reinstall the application etc, it's being recalled.

As it's out of warranty, there will be a charge for any work done ... does anybody here have any experiences with their charges for repairs - assuming it's not a major issue. Is there a set service charge for example?

May be worth simply getting a new device if costs are going to be high?

Regards

Mick
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Jan 26, 2009 4:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Why not post on here what the device is actually doing as a question as there have been a few issues with certain devices and RDS - in addition to the problem state the device and software version it is currently running - Mike
mickrichardson535
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 26, 2009 8:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mikealder wrote:
Why not post on here what the device is actually doing as a question as there have been a few issues with certain devices and RDS - in addition to the problem state the device and software version it is currently running - Mike

Hi mikeleader.

I have been posting on two other threads - one of my own, and one on a similar.

Basically, the RDS TMC display / signal was missing off my TTG 720T.
It happened at the same time as my computer voice (Kate) gained an awful stutter.

Kate has since regained her usual voice and she is well now - but the issue of the RDS TMC remained.

Following TT tech Support advice, I did all sorts of things to my device to no avail - and they refused to answser my direct question surrounding the correct contents of the file mcxdat (or whatever it is called). They called my device in for 'repair' without saying what they thought the issue would be - saying only we'll tell you how much it will be to repair once we see it - hence my original question.

My 720T came with one of those jack plug aerials. I noted on the TT website that the 720 aerial is the USB type - so I went off to Halfords and asked them if I could buy one on the basis that they'd take it back if it failed to work with my 720. They agreed.
It did work - every time I plugged the 720 into the power, it started searching for the traffic signal (has yet to find it!) - so that meant to my unskilled mind that either the port was faulty or the aerial was dodgy.

I have cancelled the 'return for repair' and will await a signal to be found using the USB aerial.

As an aside, my device details are as follows ....

App 8.300 (9732/08130) OS:244890
64 MB RAM (free: 16.9MB)
gps v1.20, Boot 5.5015
map: western _europe v815.2003
language: english uk

As a second aside, through this forum I have today found the resolution to the long standing issue of not being able to get TTH 2.5 to run on my Vista machine..... thanks to McQueen, it now works just fine.

I'm off to search the forum now for some info I'm sure I saw earlier about frequencies for the RDS TMC signal.......

Mick
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Jan 26, 2009 9:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The mini USB receiver is better in terms of reception in difficult areas, it does sound like the RDS-TMC / iPOD connection port on your device has failed TBH. but if you don't need to use it why bother with the hastle!

Check your e-mail as I have sent you a POI file that contains the transmitter locations and frequencies - Mike
mickrichardson535
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Mon Jan 26, 2009 10:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mike - thanks very much indeed.

Regards.

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: