Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Garmin Nuvi 310 - PocketGPS Speedcam Database Help
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Garmin Nuvi 310 - PocketGPS Speedcam Database Help

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> PocketGPSWorld Speed Camera Database
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Heligaz
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Jan 17, 2009 12:25 pm    Post subject: Garmin Nuvi 310 - PocketGPS Speedcam Database Help Reply with quote

As a brand new user having just left the Garmin speed camera site, please can somebody help me find the easy 'how to' set this system up. As PocketWorld have not exactly been very helpfull, they have pointed me to a Camera manager systm by ASH10, I have loaded this but it will not allow me to alter anything just saying 'POI directory not set'. I think may be worth going back to the easy downloading system of Garmin/Cyclops?
PaulB2005
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Jan 17, 2009 12:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi and welcome.

The instructions for the Garmin units are here.

I would get used to doing a manual install before using Ash10s CM just so you get used to what's going on. CM will automatically download and configure the database for you but it's best to do one manual update first as the software needs some information from your PC that's not there until you use POILoader at least once.

Any problems, just ask.

Can i just ask what you mean by "As PocketWorld have not exactly been very helpfull" as this is your first post here? Where were you asking before?
Darren
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Jan 17, 2009 12:40 pm    Post subject: Re: Garmin Nuvi 310 Reply with quote

Heligaz wrote:
As PocketWorld have not exactly been very helpfull,

Now hang on a moment. You emailed stating you were unhappy with our speed camera database in comparison with Garmin's and asked for a refund which I told you was not available as you have already accessed the database.

I have taken the time to reply to your emails at some length explaining that we are here to help and offering assistance and that if you explain what the issue is, how you installed it and allowed us to assist you then you would discover just how good our service actually is. What more you actually expect us to do I don't know?

If you spend a little time here you will find many many Garmin users who find our service worth every penny and more comprehensive than anything Garmin offer which is at the end of the day the crucial factor.

If on the other hand you can't be bothered to invest a little and are happy with a service that is less comprehensive then that is of course your choice.
Heligaz
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Jan 17, 2009 12:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks for being so prompt, I have already downloaded the page you sent me to and followed it. I beleive the main problem is that it does not seem as loud (on full volume) or as good as Garmin's, so maybe that is my dissapointment. It is also not picking up mobile camera positions of which there are 2 on my way to work.

My comment on pocketWorld was direct to Darrens email and whoever responded just said 'do not give up so easaly and use the ASH10 manager.

Thanks.
Heligaz
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Jan 17, 2009 12:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dear Darren

These questions were not meant to get your back up! I am just fustrated at having to trawl through your huge site trying to find some help.

You obviously have a huge following of interested GPS users and bloggers but unfortunately i am just a busy person who just wanted an easy system to use.

I will back off and not bother.

Thanks to all.
PaulB2005
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Jan 17, 2009 12:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
I believe the main problem is that it does not seem as loud (on full volume) or as good as Garmin's, so maybe that is my dissapointment.

So you have got it installed? Confused I would rather have a quiet, accurate database rather than a loud, inaccurate one. You should be able to add Custom Voices or noises if you wish.

Quote:
It is also not picking up mobile camera positions of which there are 2 on my way to work.

Report them to be added to the database then! Fill in the form on this page but ONLY if you have definitely seen the Mobile Units working there recently. Once Verified it COULD get you a Free Lifetime Subscription - see this post
Darren
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Jan 17, 2009 1:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Heligaz wrote:
I beleive the main problem is that it does not seem as loud (on full volume) or as good as Garmin's, so maybe that is my dissapointment. It is also not picking up mobile camera positions of which there are 2 on my way to work.

This is something we need to understand as there is no reason why the volume should be lower, Paul any ideas?

As for the mobiles we are alleged to be missing, can you tell me where they are so I can check our master records?
Quote:
These questions were not meant to get your back up! I am just fustrated at having to trawl through your huge site trying to find some help.

If you had just asked a question you would have had an answer, you didn't have to 'trawl through' the site, we're here to help.
PaulB2005
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Jan 17, 2009 3:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Personally i don't recall there being any difference in the alerts produced by the Garmin database and the PGPSW ones. I might be wrong so when i get 10 i'll reload the trial and compare.
PaulB2005
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Jan 17, 2009 4:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As i thought there is no different in the alerts produced by the Garmin database and the PGPSW database. However the hardware and firmware for the 7xx series could be very different to the 3xx series.

The alerts the PGPSW database makes are built into the unit and are the same alerts used for any Custom POIs so without resorting to mp3 voice / audio alerts there isn't anything PGPSW can do.

Another observation is that the Garmin database produces alerts with very small writing but the PGPSW (and other POIs) use a bigger font making it much clearer. However the Garmin database does make the banner alert flash red on an over-speed warning where the PGPSW database is unable to. My old StreetPilot i3 did do this but they dropped it for Custom POIs in more recent models once they started to make their own database.
Darren
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Jan 17, 2009 4:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

PaulB2005 wrote:
As i thought there is no different in the alerts produced by the Garmin database and the PGPSW database. However the hardware and firmware for the 7xx series could be very different to the 3xx series.

Thanks Paul, I can only compare Garmin's with ours on my 765 and the alerts themselves are identical, I'll see if I can locate anyone with a 310 who can comment.
MaFt
Pocket GPS Staff
Pocket GPS Staff

PostPosted: Sun Jan 18, 2009 2:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Darren wrote:
PaulB2005 wrote:

Thanks Paul, I can only compare Garmin's with ours on my 765 and the alerts themselves are identical, I'll see if I can locate anyone with a 310 who can comment.

i have a 350 but no garmin database to test... don't fancy paying £30 just for that!!

MaFt
banjo12
Regular Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Jan 19, 2009 1:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Darren wrote:
Heligaz wrote:
I beleive the main problem is that it does not seem as loud (on full volume) or as good as Garmin's, so maybe that is my dissapointment. It is also not picking up mobile camera positions of which there are 2 on my way to work.

This is something we need to understand as there is no reason why the volume should be lower, Paul any ideas?

As for the mobiles we are alleged to be missing, can you tell me where they are so I can check our master records?
Quote:

If you had just asked a question you would have had an answer, you didn't have to 'trawl through' the site, we're here to help.

I have just installed the speed camera database and voice files to my Garmin 310D with a lot of help from the good people on this site, my warning voice messages are well louder than the normal direction voice files.

Regards.

Les
Darren
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Jan 19, 2009 1:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice one Les, once you've done it once it's a lot simpler the next time.

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> PocketGPSWorld Speed Camera Database All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: