Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
SurfShark VPN for Streaming TV
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - How a newbie set himself up!!
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

How a newbie set himself up!!

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Beginners GPS Lounge
View previous topic :: View next topic  
wHIZz
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Apr 15, 2004 10:10 pm    Post subject: How a newbie set himself up!! Reply with quote

I would just like to add my experiences of the last couple of weeks as I consider myself to be very lucky after reading this entire thread. I am a GPS newbie of about 3 days and knew nothing about the subect a couple of weeks ago.

Here's my story.......

Recently ordered a Dell Axim X3i and then started to think about about GPS on a PDA. Didn't really know much about the subject so as I normally do in stuations like that, I began to do some research. Luckilly before purchasing any GPS equipment I discovered pocketgps world and the excellent forums on it. The reason this site is so good is that it is run by enthusiasts FOR enthusiasts. Thumbs Up

Anyway, my Axim arrived on Tuesday from DELL (couple of days ago) and on the same day my TomTom3 Wired Kit arrived from PDAMods. Smile

What I thought I would do was explain the process I went through to get GPS(ed) up!:

Step 1) Setup the Axim and cradle on my PC and configured the owner settings etc - also discovered that I hadn't ordered an SD Memory card with the Axim DOH! - though my TT3 fun was going to be delayed! Confused

2) Used the TT3 CD in the PC and installed TT3 onto the PDA. At this point I was asked where I wanted to install the maps, and was also told I only had 35MB of free space on the PDA internal memory. Fortunately TT3 allowed me to install a 32MB map of 'The North' which fortunately for me covered Edinburgh and the surrounding areas - so on it went. Install completed. Smile

3) When TT3 was installed - grabbed Axim, GPS receiver (Rikaline 6010 I think) ,supplied Car\GPS power adaptor and windscreen mount and went downstairs to the car.

4) (Performed this step while stationary in my driveway) - Plugged power adaptor into the cigarette lighter socket and connected the GPS receiver - a green LED then starting to flash on the GPS receiver. I then attached my mount to the windscreen and connected the power\gps cable to the Axim.

5) By the time I had connected the cable and subsequently placed the axim in the mount I already had a display telling me I was basically sitting outside my house. Job Done! :D

I suppose this is how it should go - but personally I think I've been lucky. I just wanted to explain that I didn't have to change any settings on TT3 prior to using it. Now on day 3 of use and no problems so far.

Just ordered a 256MB card so that I can install all UK maps - also have added some POIs using POIedit. I'm sure I read that the Axims don't get such good press for GPS but I think people should be aware that in my case everything went very smoothly.

I'm now looking forward to becoming a GPS enthusiast!!. Mr. Green

wHIZz

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Beginners GPS Lounge All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: