Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Liked it so much I got another 520
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Liked it so much I got another 520

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices
View previous topic :: View next topic  
D4VE
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Fri Dec 26, 2008 9:30 am    Post subject: Liked it so much I got another 520 Reply with quote

Am I right in assuming that the 30 day LMG does not start until you have registered the unit i.e connecting the unit through TTH, setting up the account details and updating firmware etc.

The reason I ask is that I have purchased a 520 (£99.00 + delivery) for my better half, so will have two units to look after in the New Year. And will be connecting them through the same PC, via two email accounts. Apart from the usual backup procedures are there any procedures/pitfalls I should be aware of?

I will be away for a week from today so will not respond to any answers till 5th Jan approx.

Happy New Year to all.

TIA

Regards

Dave
TomTom iPhone Car Kit

PC Operating System: Windows 7
MrT
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Dec 26, 2008 10:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It is supposed to be thirty days from when you first use the unit and you can only use it for one map download, if another map comes out within the 30 days you cannot download that as well. So make sure you are downloading the latest map before you start.

I do not know what exactly they use to measure when the period starts, but it appears to be the device making contact with their servers, support could tell from their database and my units device code when I first used mine. (New maps came out 10 days after purchasing the unit and I had used my LMG). I had created several accounts due to issues and it was not the accounts they traced the date by. On units such as the x40 range they contact the servers as soon as they are turned on as they have a built in SIM but on the earlier models I would assume it is when they are first connected to home.

I could forsee problems if you first tried the unit and LMG more than 30 days after purchase and it did not work trying to persuade TT support that you were still technically in the 30 day period.

I would recommend not have "remember my password" selected in Home if you have two accounts as you could eailsy automatically log on with the wrong account for the device.

At the end of the day, if you mess up on your LMG and just miss a new map, it will only cost you £6.50 to get the latest map on the 520 and then you can take out the map update service, that's what happened to me on the 530.
DennisN
Tired Old Man
Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Fri Dec 26, 2008 10:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Separate email account is all you need to bother about.

You're already aware that LMG is 30 days, but do understand that if you have any difficulties with it and need to go to TT Support, you are likely to be asked for a copy of your purchase invoice/receipt so they'll apply the 30 days from the date of that - I don't think you'd get away with buying one today, not opening the box until July, then going to TT for LMG without bother!

When you do it, make sure to update the firmware completely before going for LMG - you may have to "Update my GO" more than once for all the firmware updates, declining maps until you've reached the latest firmware first. In case you haven't seen it, App 8.300 is the latest and it's sometimes unstable for some people, so you might benefit from waiting to see when/if a newer release comes in the next couple of weeks. Also have a search around regarding FM transmitter if this is something you use with your present one - TT have disabled it in App 8.300 for navigating instructions.

If it tastes good - it's fattening.

Two of them are obesiting!!

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> TomTom Portable Navigation Devices All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: