Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - Seeking advice - PDA with GPS
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

Seeking advice - PDA with GPS
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Beginners GPS Lounge
View previous topic :: View next topic  
roadcone
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Tue Dec 16, 2008 3:27 pm    Post subject: Seeking advice - PDA with GPS Reply with quote

Hi,

I'd be grateful for some advice on this topic. I'm looking for a PDA that has an integral GPS on which I can use my Memory Map maps. I had settled on the Asus A696 but it appears that it has been discontinued with no direct replacement. I'd like to use the device for some elementary map reading on walks (I appreciate that it is no replacement for paper maps and a compass) and for logging walks which can be downloaded to PC. I may also want to add Tomtom-like software later. I don't need telephone integration (though a competitively priced product could be of interest - I'd just not use the phone). Wifi/Bluetooth useful but not essential.

I'd be grateful for your guidance on this.

Thanks.
aj2052
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Dec 17, 2008 1:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Dont know where you got that info from, Its still shown as current on Asus site with no mention of Discontinue, its only been out just over a year, I find it an excellent unit and well built, the wifi is excellent and can hold a 16gb memory card, the only complaint i have is slow gps lock although sirf 3.
roadcone
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Dec 17, 2008 12:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi aj,

Thanks for your reply. Yes, it is still shown as current on the Asus website but every web supplier site I have visited (and I have visited a lot) show them as out of stock or discontinued. I called Clove Technology and they said that they had been discontinued "in this country" and so I called Asus UK and they confirmed that they are no longer available in this country. If you know of a supplier that has them in stock then please let me know and I'll follow it up.

Clive
aj2052
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Wed Dec 17, 2008 2:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi,After a quick search I can see your point which is a surprise because i thought they where excellent value for money, they even seem to have disappeared on fleabay, if i remember i bought mine from expansys.
roadcone
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Dec 18, 2008 12:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

aj2052 wrote:
Hi,After a quick search I can see your point which is a surprise because i thought they where excellent value for money, they even seem to have disappeared on fleabay, if i remember i bought mine from expansys.

Now that was not the answer I was looking for :-( I was waiting for you to point me to a dealer that had one in stock with my name on it ;-) but thanks for checking.

Incidentally, do you want to sell yours?
aj2052
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Dec 18, 2008 1:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Unfortunately not, despite the slow lock I am still very happy with it, it does everything asked of it and very versatile, I will have a search for you when i find a moment.
aj2052
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Thu Dec 18, 2008 1:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Done search and it appears that PDAs in general seem to be in short supply but found that
Code:
superetrader.co.uk
are showing 10+ in stock on thier website otherwise any others seem to be overseas.

Last edited by aj2052 on Fri Dec 19, 2008 3:15 am; edited 1 time in total
aj2052
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Dec 19, 2008 3:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Amazon uk showing 6 on stock today,yesterday showing out of stock but price seems rather high £219 against normal £184
roadcone
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Dec 19, 2008 12:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thank you aj - I had got bored with checking websites daily. You are right - stock has appeared in both sites you list. I called Superetrader who confirmed they have "plenty" in stock - they now have one less.

Thanks for your help - not the outcome I expected when I started this thread but the one I always hoped for.

Kind regards

Clive
roadcone
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sun Dec 21, 2008 11:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi aj,

Asus has arrived and now I'd be grateful for some guidance in getting the GPS working with Memory Map. I was expecting there to be a setting to turn the GPS On/Off (as there are for Wifi and Bluetooth) but there does not appear to be one.

The only reference I have found (WM6) is "External GPS" on the Settings menu. This has tabs for Software and Hardware communication ports. Is this the correct area to be adjusting the settings? Does WM6 regard the Asus internal GPS as "external"? Should I adjust the settings on the Software or Hardware tabs?. Software does not allow setting of baud rate but Hardware does. Memory Map has a setup which allows choice of Com port, baud rate and GPS type. I have set GPS at NMEA and tried Com ports 1 & 2 with various combinations of Hardware and Software settings on the Asus. Each reports a timeout error on the Asus after some seconds.

Grateful for your guidance.

Thanks.

Clive
aj2052
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Dec 22, 2008 12:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi, Unfortunately have no knowledge of current Memory map, last time i tried was on Mio a couple of years ago.
Currently I am running TTN7 and set up is other NMEA, Baud Rate 4800 and Com5, but this is set up within TTN7, My external GPS Setting in system setup is also on com 5 but i have just reset to none to check and it doesnt make any difference, I think i set this to improve first lock and it was just left there.
roadcone
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Dec 22, 2008 12:37 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If I set WM6 at "none" on both hardware and software com ports and set MM at com5 then I get GPS timeout error. I have also set Software at com5 and hardware at none - and vice-versa and Software at com5 and Hardware at com1 and earlier I got some satellites but now nothing. I am confused.
aj2052
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Dec 22, 2008 12:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have just downloaded the free Memory Map v5 demo to try and this bit of info is shown if it helps:
Quote:
For all other GPS makes, set the interface to NMEA 0183 mode. Use the latest NMEA version available, if there is a choice of versions. Set the baud rate to 4800.

Now tap on Menu _ GPS _ Setup... on the PocketPC. Under Make, select Garmin or NMEA. If you selected NMEA, set the baud rate to 4800. Tap OK.

It usually takes several minutes for the GPS to acquire the satellite signals and find its position. Go outside where you have a clear view of the sky and wait. Tap Menu / GPS / Satellites to see the satellite signal strength.

If the GPS is receiving a signal, you should see the "GPS Lock" button enabled. Tapping the Lock button will automatically open the most suitable map and place the current position at the center of the screen. The current position is shown as a flashing cursor, with an arrow showing your direction and speed of travel. You can drag the map to hold the current position off-center.

If there is a problem with the GPS interface, the Information button will light up. Tapping this button shows the error message. If you can't resolve the problem from this message, refer to the FAQ section

Incidently it does not identify WM6 only upto WM5 as compatable but may be just a case of catchup.
roadcone
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Dec 22, 2008 12:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've done what it says but not got what it says. Asus is set up as NMEA, com5, 4800 but all I get are the described error messages. I've left the Asus in the middle of the garden (in the dark) for five minutes and got nothing. I'll try again tomorrow in the light (only so that I can see what I am doing - I'm sure the satellites don't care if it is dark!

Thanks for looking. I can see a couple of help-desk calls tomorrow!!
aj2052
Frequent Visitor

PostPosted: Mon Dec 22, 2008 1:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry cant sit with you on this one for the moment, having problems with Mobile center and vista not communicating, is anybody more familar with MM can help.

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Beginners GPS Lounge All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: