Home PageFacebookRSS News Feed
PocketGPS
Web
SatNav,GPS,Navigation
Pocket GPS World - SatNavs | GPS | Speed Cameras: Forums

Pocket GPS World :: View topic - POIs - Can only display 8 POIs! Do 20 mph Specs exist?
 Forum FAQForum FAQ   SearchSearch   UsergroupsUsergroups   ProfileProfile   Log in for private messagesLog in for private messages   Log inLog in 

POIs - Can only display 8 POIs! Do 20 mph Specs exist?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Points Of Interest (POIs)
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Coffeemonster
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Fri Dec 19, 2008 9:11 pm    Post subject: POIs - Can only display 8 POIs! Do 20 mph Specs exist? Reply with quote

Hardware: iPAQ HP2215
Software: Tomtom Navigator 5

I would appreciate your help.

I can only display a grand total of 8(!) PGPS-downloaded POIs (excluding speed cameras) on my satnav (if I download more, it just displays the first 8, selecting alphabetically).

I suspect that this is because I downloaded the 'speed zoned' version of the speed cameras, which contains 45 categories of speed camera POIs, i.e. it can only display 53 categories of POI.

Could anyone please tell me:

1. Is there a tweak which will allow me to display more POIs, or am I forced to delete 'speed zoned' and download 'single file' speed cameras instead?

2. One option is to delete categories of speed cameras containing no speed cameras. Are there any? E.g. 20 mph Specs - I have never seen a 20 mph Specs camera. Do they exist?

3. If I upgrade from Navigator 5 to 6, will this problem go away?

Thanks very much.
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Dec 19, 2008 9:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Welcome to the forum, if you are running TTN 5,21 which was the last release of the version 5 software it can accept up to 39 Custom POI categories - see how many files you have in the map folder with a file extension of .ov2 to work out how many you have on the device.

TTN 6 can accept up to 100 Custom POI files so this presents less of a problem when trying to use the Speed Zoned database.

Don't forget the PDA version of the software also supports the spoken alert ogg file format so it can tell you the type of camera and speed by reading this information out if you install the correct files, which are freely available from this site - Mike
Coffeemonster
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Dec 20, 2008 2:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Mike,

Thanks.

I have got 38 .ov2 files - whoopy do, I can add one more POI.

I installed the ogg files at the same time as the ov2 files - thanks for the tip though.

I was running TTN5.000 - owing to your post, I have updated to 5.210.

I am sadly not running TTN6 as it isn't compatible with my iPAQ (according to the Tomtom website). I have tried to find a modern iPAQ (a 214) in a shop to see what it is like (ideally a display model) but they seem to be rare - yet to find one.

Is there any way that I can check if a POI category is empty? In theory the file size should be zero, but maybe even an empty one is not quite zero. I have a number of speed camera POIs at just a few hundred bytes which is suspiciously low (e.g. pocketgps_uk_specs_20.ov2 - 315 bytes, pocketgps_uk_specs_tba.ov2 - 130 bytes).

Thanks for the help.
mikealder
Pocket GPS Moderator
Pocket GPS Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Dec 20, 2008 9:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Specs@20 file wont be empty but there are currently only a few cameras in that category, a couple in Gloucester and around Tower Bridge in London.

You can use the software on the PDA to show you the contents of each ov2 file Change Preferences/ Manage POI's/ Edit POI/ POI in City select a location followed by the POI category you want to check. The software will list the nearest 24 locations to the city center you selected from the chosen POI Category. In the case of a POI ategory containing fewer than 24 enteries in the country then it will list all the contents.

One thing to consider though, do you have the pocketgps_uk_temp category in your map folder? if so you can remove this, as it isn't supplied anymore the locations it contained are now within the main categories, so this might save another Custom POI category - Mike
DennisN
Tired Old Man
Tired Old Man

PostPosted: Sat Dec 20, 2008 9:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tower Bridge in London has 20mph Specs.

Edit - Curse you Screwdriverhands - do you never sleep?

If it tastes good - it's fattening.

Two of them are obesiting!!
Daggers
Lifetime Member

PostPosted: Sat Dec 20, 2008 11:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

As a compromise, you can always use the "Consolidated by Type" version of the speed camera database. This only has 4 or 5 .ov2 files (depending on whether you want to use the pmobiles or not). It doesn't give you the speed limits - though many would argue that you should know those anyway if you are driving - but it does tell you whether you need to be on the lookout for a SPECS, mobile, fixed or redlight camera.
Coffeemonster
Occasional Visitor

PostPosted: Sat Dec 20, 2008 2:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Mike Alder, Daggers & Dennis. I know it is easy to read a request for help and not bother replying.

I'm happy now in that I know what I need to know - I'll either download 'consolidated by type' or upgrade to a 214 iPAQ & TTN6.

As a matter of interest:

Mike:

1. Re 'Change Preferences/ Manage POI's/ Edit POI...', I don't have 'Edit POI' - just (under Change Preferences/Manage POI): 'Add POI', 'Add POI category', 'Delete POI', 'Delete POI category', 'Enable/Disable POI' and 'Warn when near POI'. Must be a feature of TTN6.

2. I don't have 'pocketgps_uk_temp' in my map folder. But thanks for the suggestion.

Anyway, I am happy now - will have a look at difference between my iPAQ & a 214. Maybe, to quote Mike, it'll be 'new toy soon'.

Posted: Today    Post subject: Pocket GPS Advertising

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Pocket GPS World Forum Index -> Points Of Interest (POIs) All times are GMT + 1 Hour
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: